Blue Bombers Forum
June 05, 2020, 02:20:26 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Hall of Fame Class  (Read 1172 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« on: April 25, 2019, 02:06:50 AM »

2019 Hall of Fame Class

Darrin Bauming, TSN.
‏ @DarrinBauming
9h9 hours ago

Darrin Bauming, TSN. Retweeted Chris Cuthbert

Williams and Pitts both former #Bombers.

Congrats to the Canadian Football Hall of Fame class of 2019. Some legendary offensive weapons in Jon Cornish, Terry Greer Mervyn Fernandez and David Williams along with Ernie Pitts and builders Jim Hopson and Frank Smith. - Source Chris Cuthbert

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
TecnoGenius

« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2019, 04:48:20 AM »

Kudos to Cornish.  He got in there pretty quickly.  Probably hints at AH33's future.  Cornish sure had a gift.  Not sure what it was about him.  He didn't seem as stout as AH33, but those legs of his just wouldn't quit and the guy would never fall over.  I hate him as a Stampeder, but love him as a great Canadian in the CFL.

Never go full Rider!
BlueInCgy

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2019, 02:20:33 PM »

I get why from an outsiders perspective people dislike Cornish.  He had that unique ability to aggravate opponents fan bases, not the least of which when he used to troll Riderfans as ztella.  That being said, he's a pretty good guy, and well liked within the Calgary community, and I think overall was a good ambassador for the sport.  Good for him on the quick induction, he was an amazing running back, and it's too bad his career ended sooner than it probably should have thanks to the clothesline from Hebert.

the paw

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2019, 02:54:02 PM »

Not only was it a shame that Cornish's career ended prematurely, its also a shame he was stuck behind Joffrey Reynolds for 3.5 years.    IMHO, if he had become the starter in his second year, he would have topped 10,000 yards and been in a horserace with Charles Roberts for #5 all-time rushing leaders. 

grab grass 'n growl
blue_or_die

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2019, 05:45:45 PM »

Not only was it a shame that Cornish's career ended prematurely, its also a shame he was stuck behind Joffrey Reynolds for 3.5 years.    IMHO, if he had become the starter in his second year, he would have topped 10,000 yards and been in a horserace with Charles Roberts for #5 all-time rushing leaders. 

This is something I often thought about but never mentioned. I remember years ago scanning threads back in the days of the TSN.ca comment section when it still existed and Calgary fans would mention this guy Cornish who would be a beast one day, and I just brushed it off.

After seeing he was the real deal (an understatement), you have to wonder what would have happened if he got into the game earlier, as he clearly could have, and also if he didn't have ongoing health issues that forced him to make the (correct) decision to leave the game. He could still be playing today for all we know, and have an ungodly amount of yardage racked up.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
BlueInCgy

« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2019, 07:05:53 PM »

It?s not like Reynolds was a lousy running back.  It was a great developmental setup for Jon. 

blue_or_die

« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2019, 12:31:16 PM »

It?s not like Reynolds was a lousy running back.  It was a great developmental setup for Jon. 

Yeah, but you have to wonder if that was development time or hanging out on the bench, waiting. He stepped in and was dominant.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
DM83

« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2019, 01:26:26 PM »

Cornish was unstoppable behind a great QB Great O line and great coaching.. The Stamps were machine like efficient.  Good for him!

Turn back time. And get Williams back here.  Big body receiver, smooth and play maker.
Pitts was an iconic Bomber figure of the 60"s

Kudos to all!
Pigskin

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2019, 05:03:15 AM »

Sad that it took this long to get Ernie into the hall.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2019, 12:34:38 PM »

Honestly a little bit surprised at David Williams being a hall of famer - very good but HOF??

Change my mind for me...
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: