Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2020, 07:37:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  
Author Topic: Players will not be reporting to camp unless a new deal is in place...  (Read 19171 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #195 on: May 04, 2019, 01:27:20 PM »

Not every import gets the lowest ELC on his 1st contract.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #196 on: May 04, 2019, 01:35:35 PM »

Of course not, but those that do not will...  wait for it....  and by that I mean a new CBA so that they can optimize their contract.  A player willingly agreeing to a min wage deal has nothing to lose signing now.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #197 on: May 04, 2019, 01:43:59 PM »

Of course not, but those that do not will...  wait for it....  and by that I mean a new CBA so that they can optimize their contract.  A player willingly agreeing to a min wage deal has nothing to lose signing now.

So you don't think Reilly or the 80 or so other veterans that changed teams in February " optimized " their contracts?

Have you even looked at Bombers that extended during free agency: Alexander, Bighill, S. Bryant, Hardrick, Jeffocoat, Medlock and Nevis to name a few.

You're out to lunch on this theme.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #198 on: May 04, 2019, 02:53:50 PM »

are you sure? other than a QB what import player would get more than ELC? Maybe if you come here with years of experience from the NFL, and by experience I'm talking about actual game experience, not bouncing around from PR to PR...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
theaardvark

« Reply #199 on: May 04, 2019, 05:03:19 PM »

So you don't think Reilly or the 80 or so other veterans that changed teams in February " optimized " their contracts?

Have you even looked at Bombers that extended during free agency: Alexander, Bighill, S. Bryant, Hardrick, Jeffocoat, Medlock and Nevis to name a few.

You're out to lunch on this theme.

The whole bargaining situation has changed since FA day... they've had a strike vote for gosh sakes and the CFL walked away from the table... so, obviously the players are not getting what they figured they'd get back on FA day... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #200 on: May 04, 2019, 05:12:19 PM »

are you sure? other than a QB what import player would get more than ELC? Maybe if you come here with years of experience from the NFL, and by experience I'm talking about actual game experience, not bouncing around from PR to PR...

Yes I'm sure.

Lot's of game experienced NFL players end up in the CFL eventually.  Just because there is a minimum level doesn't mean it's a mandatory level for a rookie.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #201 on: May 04, 2019, 05:19:59 PM »

The whole bargaining situation has changed since FA day... they've had a strike vote for gosh sakes and the CFL walked away from the table... so, obviously the players are not getting what they figured they'd get back on FA day... 

There are only about 60 CFL free agents left from free agency day. Half are probably never going to play another CFL game. The rest are mostly role players. Only a few can remotely be considered of real interest in the CFL.

I seriously doubt any current free agent is considering waiting for a new CBA to optimize his next contract.

Obviously signing in free agency is partially a 1st come 1st served situation as SMS's are being spent around the league. What might have been available to some players that didn't sign then might now be lower even with a new CBA since other choices were made in February.

Aside from Solly who probably will get multiple offers, there are not exactly many players currently available that have the option.

Now it may be closer to take it or leave it situations for the majority.

You think Cox or Hebert are going to get better deals with a new CBA. They'll be lucky to get any deal now.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #202 on: May 04, 2019, 07:50:59 PM »

Yes I'm sure.

Lot's of game experienced NFL players end up in the CFL eventually.  Just because there is a minimum level doesn't mean it's a mandatory level for a rookie.

as noted in my reply, these would be the exception, not the rule... short of a hand full of true, ex-NFL players and QBs I would say that every rookie import player in the league began on an ELC contract... otherwise, why would there be one? it is said many times by many members here when discussing matters of compensation that "(insert player name here) is on an ELC so he doesn't cost us much", as it is/has been common knowledge...

you think any team is paying rookie imports any more than minimum? come on, you're smarter than that... why would they when they don't have to? after all, it's not like they can ask for more... by the time a contract is offered that player is on that team's negotiation list, he either signs and accepts the minimum or he doesn't play at all, or at least not for a year...

Blue In BC

« Reply #203 on: May 04, 2019, 08:23:49 PM »

as noted in my reply, these would be the exception, not the rule... short of a hand full of true, ex-NFL players and QBs I would say that every rookie import player in the league began on an ELC contract... otherwise, why would there be one? it is said many times by many members here when discussing matters of compensation that "(insert player name here) is on an ELC so he doesn't cost us much", as it is/has been common knowledge...

you think any team is paying rookie imports any more than minimum? come on, you're smarter than that... why would they when they don't have to? after all, it's not like they can ask for more... by the time a contract is offered that player is on that team's negotiation list, he either signs and accepts the minimum or he doesn't play at all, or at least not for a year...

Even the NFL has minimum contract values for AR and PR players.

The CFLPA negotiates a minimum contract level. There has to be a floor as well as a SMS cap.

I don't know the proportion of minimum ELC contracts but I do know many players signed in the CFL come with NFL game or significant NFL PR time.

Bombers haven't signed Whitehead yet as an example. Have to think he wants more than the min and perhaps some guarantees.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #204 on: May 04, 2019, 08:38:31 PM »

Even the NFL has minimum contract values for AR and PR players.

The CFLPA negotiates a minimum contract level. There has to be a floor as well as a SMS cap.

I don't know the proportion of minimum ELC contracts but I do know many players signed in the CFL come with NFL game or significant NFL PR time.

Bombers haven't signed Whitehead yet as an example. Have to think he wants more than the min and perhaps some guarantees.

I understand that there is a minimum contract level, as well as a need for one to help control cost, however, a rookie import player can 'want' all he wants to, doesn't give him any leverage... but it's common knowledge that for probably 98%+ of import players, it's either take it or leave it, there is another guy right behind you that will... and, I'm not knocking the league for doing so, I don't believe any team is out to actually screw any player over, it's just the reality of the economics...

but the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' got a little wider with what happened over the off season... and the sad part about it is, it doesn't really hurt the 'have nots', they are already 'have nots', it's going to have the biggest impact on the middle tier of players who ultimately become affordable for teams and we start replacing more talented players with the more economical ones...

Blue In BC

« Reply #205 on: May 04, 2019, 08:43:07 PM »

I understand that there is a minimum contract level, as well as a need for one to help control cost, however, a rookie import player can 'want' all he wants to, doesn't give him any leverage... but it's common knowledge that for probably 98%+ of import players, it's either take it or leave it, there is another guy right behind you that will... and, I'm not knocking the league for doing so, I don't believe any team is out to actually screw any player over, it's just the reality of the economics...

but the gap between the 'haves' and the 'have nots' got a little wider with what happened over the off season... and the sad part about it is, it doesn't really hurt the 'have nots', they are already 'have nots', it's going to have the biggest impact on the middle tier of players who ultimately become affordable for teams and we start replacing more talented players with the more economical ones...

Depends on how much the new SMS increases. That will be a bigger indication. I mentioned that the last CBA had an $800K increase over 5 years with $600K in year 1.

I can't imagine there isn't going to be a significant increase. More? Less than previous?

No idea but the GM's must have had some idea of the more with how free agency was treated.

It's like ABC analysis ( 80 / 20  rule ). The bottom floor is set ( 15 ). The top 15 on each team may get multiple offers. The middle 15 probably get more but not giant leaps forward. That middle group is more likely to re-sign with current team. Even many of the top 15 do while turning down possibly more elsewhere.

Balancing act in SMS between those getting more and those departing in free agency and how to spend the SMS.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 08:47:26 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 12 13 [14]
  Print  

Jump to: