Blue Bombers Forum
September 27, 2020, 07:00:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Players will not be reporting to camp unless a new deal is in place...  (Read 19165 times)
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« on: April 17, 2019, 07:00:04 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2019/04/17/cflpa-informs-cfl-that-players-will-not-report-to-training-camp-without-new-cba-in-place/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2019, 07:56:01 PM »

Interesting. I still think things get done. I think a good portion of the membership will not want to miss game cheques. I don't think the players will win a game of chicken with the owners.
TBURGESS

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2019, 07:57:42 PM »

Well crap! I hope they still come to an agreement before then.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Fire101
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2019, 03:10:10 AM »

The ugly side of the business has reared it's head.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2019, 04:25:50 AM »

It'll be fine.  They'll work it out.  It helps no one to have something like the NFL lockout year.  Many teams, and thus the CFL, might not survive such an outcome.  Then both the players and the CFL get nothing.

I would be shocked if this drags on much longer than May.

Never go full Rider!
buckzumhoff

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 12:47:03 PM »

Let them sit. Players threaten to not show up.  They are paid well. They know it's not a wealthy league . So many players under performed last year. Mainly the star players. Most quarterbacks and running backs under performed. Nichols. Reilly, Wilder,  I agree they should get their bonuses but if they want more. They can look to the new league. They don't practice as much. And it shows on how the poor tackling is becoming a sore sight every game
SSC

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2019, 02:06:56 PM »

I suppose there's people who believe that an employer has the right to put the screws to their employees by not paying what has been contractually agreed upon, but I certainly am not one of them. Bo Levi Mitchell announced he will not be attending training camp until a deal is reached. Good for him, I hope other's will stand pat as well.
GCn19

« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »

I suppose there's people who believe that an employer has the right to put the screws to their employees by not paying what has been contractually agreed upon, but I certainly am not one of them. Bo Levi Mitchell announced he will not be attending training camp until a deal is reached. Good for him, I hope other's will stand pat as well.

Easy for BLM to say, he's got his nice fat long term contract in place. Guys coming for 50k a year can't afford to sit. That's why a strike vote is likely rejected by the CFL players. Empty threats.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
kkc60

« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2019, 02:36:05 PM »

The league wanted to push negotiations back....probably so Randy could do some more photo ops.

Keep in mind the league stopped players from getting their bonuses. So why should the players just ignore that and report to camp?
SSC

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2019, 03:20:06 PM »

Easy for BLM to say, he's got his nice fat long term contract in place. Guys coming for 50k a year can't afford to sit. That's why a strike vote is likely rejected by the CFL players. Empty threats.

Except if BLM doesn't get paid a cent if he doesn't show up so your point is mute. The rest of the players will continue with their off-season employment. Most of these players are educated and skilled to work outside of football.
The B.S. hubris that the league's owners are displaying will certainly bite them in the a-- when the XFL is a viable alternative for a great many of the players in the CFL.
I have a free ticket available for the Bombers-Lions season opener which I will gladly pass on if the league doesn't pay the bonuses owed to the players.

Tehedra

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2019, 03:48:46 PM »

The league wanted to push negotiations back....probably so Randy could do some more photo ops.

Keep in mind the league stopped players from getting their bonuses. So why should the players just ignore that and report to camp?

The same argument can be made that the CFLPA wanted to wait until the last minute to start negotiations in the first place.  This is typical of union negotiations in a tit for tat environment. 
SSC

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2019, 04:22:45 PM »

The same argument can be made that the CFLPA wanted to wait until the last minute to start negotiations in the first place.  This is typical of union negotiations in a tit for tat environment. 

I wasn't aware that the CFLPA deliberately delayed negotiations. Could you please send me a link that supports this info?
kkc60

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2019, 05:00:44 PM »

Let them sit. Players threaten to not show up.  They are paid well. They know it's not a wealthy league . So many players under performed last year. Mainly the star players. Most quarterbacks and running backs under performed. Nichols. Reilly, Wilder,  I agree they should get their bonuses but if they want more. They can look to the new league. They don't practice as much. And it shows on how the poor tackling is becoming a sore sight every game
Ah yes. So the league is not wealthy...yet the league wants to add more roster spots, more draft picks AND another franchise. They aren't wealthy but can fly team reps to Mexico, fly players in from Europe, etc.

As for the practice part, that's to reduce injuries. I haven't noticed tackling issues league wide. Sure there are some guys who aren't great at it but if you think lack of tackling at practice is affecting the quality of play....you're wrong.

Also to say the players are paid well is also uninformed. Sure, the STARS are paid well. But not all the players. A rookie can come to camp, tear his ACL, get cut and be covered by the team for a year. Then it's all on him. If you think thats fair, give your head a shake
« Last Edit: April 18, 2019, 05:02:57 PM by kkc60 » Logged
theaardvark

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2019, 05:58:50 PM »

Apparently the right to hold bonuses is actually written into most CFL contracts since 2017...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2019, 06:02:43 PM »

Apparently the right to hold bonuses is actually written into most CFL contracts since 2017...
Sure but just because you have the right to do it doesn't mean you should. Its greasy.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: