Notre Dame Cathedral

Started by New_Earth_Mud, April 15, 2019, 08:15:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

New_Earth_Mud

#35.... The Godfather of Swag

ModAdmin

With Easter coming soon.  Absolutely a tragic and devastating situation, not only for Christians but people in general.
"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: ModAdmin on April 15, 2019, 08:22:26 PM
With Easter coming soon.  Absolutely a tragic and devastating situation, not only for Christians but people in general.

I agree...  sad to see something 850 years old burn like it is.

Jesse

The videos are incredibly upsetting.

The flames were out of control. Doesn't leave much hope.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

Yeah, just horrible. I really wanted to see this beaut.

It looks like they lost the spire and a good part of the roof, but the towers and crown are in tact. Lots of outside money coming in to support a restoration, so it sounds salvageable, luckily.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Absolutely devastating. Fortunately, it sounds like it'll be rebuilt.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 16, 2019, 04:15:52 PM
Absolutely devastating. Fortunately, it sounds like it'll be rebuilt.

Dont think there was any doubt it would be rebuilt. Even if it burned to the ground it would still be rebuilt.

blue_gold_84

Quote from: New_Earth_Mud on April 16, 2019, 04:37:14 PM
Dont think there was any doubt it would be rebuilt. Even if it burned to the ground it would still be rebuilt.

For sure. It's just nice to see the outpouring of generosity in order to do it.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Will they try to keep it the same, or will they update it to modern architecture, or a blend? 

The church certainly has the funds, and money is already pouring in from rich people around he world...  and you can bet French construction companies would be all over providing free materials / labour. 

It was a tragic event, from a historical and architectural standpoint.  Not many building survive that long.

On the lighter side, it did make for some awesome comedy, with Trump tweeting out that they should use "flying water tankers" to put out the fire... which would have destroyed the structure and imperiled neighboring structures and rescue workers. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on April 16, 2019, 04:44:04 PM
For sure. It's just nice to see the outpouring of generosity in order to do it.

Agree....  700 mill in a day is pretty good id say.

New_Earth_Mud

Quote from: theaardvark on April 16, 2019, 04:56:20 PM
Will they try to keep it the same, or will they update it to modern architecture, or a blend? 

The church certainly has the funds, and money is already pouring in from rich people around he world...  and you can bet French construction companies would be all over providing free materials / labour. 

It was a tragic event, from a historical and architectural standpoint.  Not many building survive that long.

On the lighter side, it did make for some awesome comedy, with Trump tweeting out that they should use "flying water tankers" to put out the fire... which would have destroyed the structure and imperiled neighboring structures and rescue workers. 

It will be rebuilt the same.... except the forest roof. They dont have trees like that in France anymore.

Jockitch

Lucky enough to have seen it at 13 yrs old & then, as a young adult, with my buddies while doing Europe on $5. a day, per Arthur Frommer's book

It was a captivating site & certainly made me pause & ponder about the conviction it took to build such a long lasting historical place.
Now, yesterday, it held my attention in a most sorrowful awe.

Cannot pretend to imagine what the loss means to Parisians, devout followers of the faith & those who appreciated it's artistic offerings
BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP " CHAMPS "

HUSTLE & MUSCLE

theaardvark

With new technology and materials, and an unlimited budget, they should be able to make something special...   a billion dollars raised already, in one day...  yikes. 
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

BlueInCgy

As someone who's been fortunate enough to visit a lot of cathedrals in Europe, and having been to the Notre Dame twice, yes, it was devastating to watch, especially given the fact it has survived so much over the years.  Not only to the building, but also to the contents inside.  You can rebuild the structure, but you can't replace the historical contents lost.

As far as the rebuild goes, I hope they do something along the lines of the rebuild the Germans did with the church in Dresden which blew apart (from the heat of the bombing raid, not the actual bombs, wrap your head around that).  Every piece of structure which could be salvaged was, and where they could not they replicated.  They then reassembled the structure (not cleaning the old pieces, so there's a clear distinction between old and new), and it's a very effective tribute to what it was once.

Throw Long Bannatyne