Blue Bombers Forum
December 12, 2019, 08:49:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Jon Ryan back in the CFL with the Riders  (Read 5162 times)
kkc60

« Reply #45 on: May 14, 2019, 03:38:20 AM »

Signed by the riders....released Bartel...seems kind of dumb

From Twitter:
I can also confirm that punter Jon Ryan has signed with the #riders. Josh Bartel has been released according to #cfl transactions. News of @JonRyan9's signing was first reported by @rodpedersen.
Bartel seems like a good punter but if Ryan is better I see no issue. I would have let them battle it out at camp but only so many roster spots to go around
BigBlueCrew

« Reply #46 on: May 14, 2019, 01:48:32 PM »

I get excited about punters!  Field position is very important.

Ah the good ole' kicking game. Doesn't get enough love when they make a good kick because that's their only job and they should do it right. But make a bad kick and you better run and hide. Which is why all kickers should live in an apartment so there isn't easy access to a front door or mailbox.
Horseman

« Reply #47 on: May 14, 2019, 01:52:26 PM »

Ah the good ole' kicking game. Doesn't get enough love when they make a good kick because that's their only job and they should do it right. But make a bad kick and you better run and hide. Which is why all kickers should live in an apartment so there isn't easy access to a front door or mailbox.

Or in Sask, access to a front lawn...right Paul McCallum!
GCn19

« Reply #48 on: May 14, 2019, 01:53:20 PM »

Based on his long NFL career, it's not about money, just loves the game.

I think he would only be in the $80K - $90K range.

Reports are that he is making similar to Rob Maver which would put him around 100k. No hometown discount, and no love of the game lowball contract, although it seems Rider fans always expect a discount. Highest paid punter in CFL.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:56:17 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #49 on: May 14, 2019, 02:06:49 PM »

He will be the Rider's QB comes Labour Day.  Grin
drahgon

« Reply #50 on: May 14, 2019, 02:31:47 PM »

Good for Jon that he gets to live out a lifelong dream (I assume) to play for his hometown team.
trapper

« Reply #51 on: May 14, 2019, 10:47:37 PM »

Reports are that he is making similar to Rob Maver which would put him around 100k. No hometown discount, and no love of the game lowball contract, although it seems Rider fans always expect a discount. Highest paid punter in CFL.

100k is a lot of sms for a punter...that said, I heard someone say the Riders will recoup that in Jon Ryan jersey sales before the season starts...not exactly incorrect. 

I imagine he'll be able to double that in off field marketing opportunities....so long as he doesn't stump for his brother in law....

blue_or_die

« Reply #52 on: May 15, 2019, 12:30:14 AM »

100k is a lot of sms for a punter...that said, I heard someone say the Riders will recoup that in Jon Ryan jersey sales before the season starts...not exactly incorrect. 

I imagine he'll be able to double that in off field marketing opportunities....so long as he doesn't stump for his brother in law....

Riders can use jersey sales to top up the SMS? Sweet. Explains everything.
trapper

« Reply #53 on: May 15, 2019, 03:25:38 AM »

Riders can use jersey sales to top up the SMS? Sweet. Explains everything.

Football is a business.
GCn19

« Reply #54 on: May 15, 2019, 11:14:17 AM »

I have zero doubt the Riders will recoup some of the money from jersey sales etc. I highly doubt that Ryan brings in 100k of merch sales but he will bring some in. However, Ryan making 100k means one less vet elsewhere on the team due to the SMS. Personally I have no issue with that because the Riders will rely heavily on STs this year to help offset a garbage offence. I am simply responding to the quacks over at Riderfans who thought that Ryan would play for league minimum.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2019, 11:16:25 AM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #55 on: May 15, 2019, 12:16:31 PM »

I have zero doubt the Riders will recoup some of the money from jersey sales etc. I highly doubt that Ryan brings in 100k of merch sales but he will bring some in. However, Ryan making 100k means one less vet elsewhere on the team due to the SMS. Personally I have no issue with that because the Riders will rely heavily on STs this year to help offset a garbage offence. I am simply responding to the quacks over at Riderfans who thought that Ryan would play for league minimum.

Probably not, but on the other hand, I don't think money is his prime motivation for returning to the CFL. How much he really cares about making 75K compared to 120K is really anyone's guess. My gut tells me it wouldn't really be a sticking point. The Riders could certainly have got a sweetheart deal.
blue_or_die

« Reply #56 on: May 15, 2019, 12:32:11 PM »

Football is a business.

Right. OK, then, I don't understand your point. The cap hit on Ryan is irrelevant to how much is made in merch. It means you make some money for the club at the expense of having more talent and therefore more success on the field, which has got to be worth far more.
trapper

« Reply #57 on: May 15, 2019, 06:03:54 PM »

Right. OK, then, I don't understand your point. The cap hit on Ryan is irrelevant to how much is made in merch. It means you make some money for the club at the expense of having more talent and therefore more success on the field, which has got to be worth far more.

Players are signed to "bring people through the gates" all the time.  The purpose of the business is to make money. Winning is one way to do that...a big way...but there are other ways too.  The $100k incluses all incentives/bonuses.  Which means he's going to have to have a good year to get all that money.

With a bad offense....that punter is critical. 
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #58 on: May 15, 2019, 06:09:16 PM »

Players are signed to "bring people through the gates" all the time.  The purpose of the business is to make money. Winning is one way to do that...a big way...but there are other ways too.  The $100k incluses all incentives/bonuses.  Which means he's going to have to have a good year to get all that money.

With a bad offense....that punter is critical. 
aging one at that. Maybe Riders can sign Westwood while they are at it.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]  All
  Print  

Jump to: