Blue Bombers Forum
July 13, 2020, 06:52:44 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: AAF - May Discontinue Remainder of Season [UPDATE - Ceases Operations]  (Read 18762 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 05:29:29 PM »

I'm still curious about the 49 players reported to have NFL deals in place. Are they mostly NFL veterans with a renewed chance with another team or mostly PR players.

IIRC the broadcasters reported that 80% of AAF players had some NFL exposure. The problem with that is many may have used up all their PR eligibility. Players with 1 or 2 years PR experience might still have some upside and get new looks at TC.

The real question or test is how many will actually still be with any NFL team after TC? There are bound to be some but they will be competing with the 2019 draft choices and free agent signings during this past off season.

It's no different that the CFL. Some TC or PR cuts from 2018 will sign somewhere new in 2019. Some may even make AR or PR's on new teams.

OTOH, each team will bring in 25-40 new rookies for TC and will look at hundreds in tryout camps or from their neg lists.

It's a tough business. Players don't always get 2nd PR chances. Those that have had 3 or 4 different teams looking at them will find getting yet another chance increasingly difficult. Some may be emergency replacements when injuries occur etc.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:31:24 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 05:32:58 PM »

Sorry....not seeing much talent in the AAF. that's the problem apparently. lol

Maybe not for us but for some CFL teams. Ciante Evans might comeback North and maybe Freddie Bishop too.
Who'se the one who has a man crush with LDW ?  Grin

I believe one of our neg lister is in one of AAF teams.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 05:33:47 PM »

Not sure how much Dundon is into this whole venture for, but if this gambling app that cost 100m has a future he may be a brilliant and conniving business man to pull this off if he gets the rights to the app and potentially some other fringe benefits from his investment, and he ends up into it for less than the 100m rumoured initial costs.

While I hoped the league would last the pay and benefits were simply too much to be realistic for a start-up.
Blue In BC

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 05:38:00 PM »

Maybe not for us but for some CFL teams. Ciante Evans might comeback North and maybe Freddie Bishop too.
Who'se the one who has a man crush with LDW ?  Grin

I believe one of our neg lister is in one of AAF teams.

While I'm pretty happy with the candidates in our secondary I'd be interested in C. Evans. He's a top defender. OTOH he'd probably end up back in Calgary but I'd at least want our management talking with his agent. Likely an expensive acquisition but it might make one of our players a trade commodity.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 05:53:09 PM »

from Benjamin Allbright, noted NFL insider via his twitter account...

"The AAF is not in any danger of folding. 

They're just trying to leverage for NFLPA cooperation in securing players.

Hyperbole ftw, though."

Albright sounds like a bigger wingnut than Dundon. He couldn't possibly know what the AAF status is and he is completely out to lunch thinking the AAF can apply even an iota of leverage to the NFLPA.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 05:56:49 PM »

I am not seeing how this attains leverage on the NFLPA.  They represent NFL player, including NFL PR players who have "made it" at least to one level above the AAF.   Sending PR guys to the AAF benefits the NFL in terms of developing guys, and it obviously benefits the AAF.  How does it benefit the NFLPA?  It doesn't create new jobs, it essentially undermines player safety for the PR guys who will get no off-season, and it increases the ability of PR guys to potentially take jobs from existing NFL vets (who are the core constituency of the NFLPA).

Why would the NFLPA care if the AAF folded?  Is Dundon expecting the NFL to lean on the NFLPA if he ratchets up the pressure? 

Albright seems to be a big fan of the AAF, but he needs a fuller explanation to be credible on this. 

I am not sure why anyone in their right mind would believe that the NFLPA would agree to subject any player to what would end up being a 10 month season. There is no leverage in the world that would make them agree to that.

GCn19

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 06:06:23 PM »

a couple of things come to mind...

first, I think it's a disservice to both the league and the players for Dundon to say anything in regards to the status of the league hinging on a NFLPA decision, even if it's true, at least at this point in the season. I'm not exactly sure what he hopes to accomplish by putting the NFLPA out there like that because to me, it would strength the NFLPA position to NOT cooperate and gives them a platform to explain publicly why there is concern on their part, i.e. player health, etc...

Dundon did not say that the AAF needed better players, what he did say was that the AAF was hoping to get those O linemen and 3rd string QBs that traditionally reside on NFL practice rosters to come to the AAF.  Why those specific player groups? Because the NFL has stated time and time again that these 2 specific groups needed live action snaps in order to be able to progress and improve. Currently that isn't happening in the NFL landscape so, if the AAF can solve a problem for the NFL they feel they can solidify themselves as an extension of the NFL, i.e. funding and an increased league valuation in terms of resale...

Also, I'm not completely sure why Dundon needed to make this type of statement in regards to accessibility with players as it is my understanding that all players that are on practice rosters are released at the end of the season, much like the CFL. Secondly, even if those PR players sign futures contracts with an NFL team the AAF has previously stated that they have an agreement with the NFL that would allow players to play in either league as their seasons do not overlap. So, that would beg the question, is that or is that not the case?

If the league does discontinue, it won't be because their wasn't fan interest as both attendance and TV ratings continue to grow. San Antonio drew over 30,000 fans last week and TV viewership was over 830,000 this weekend on premium cable channels, which is impressive considering it was competing against the NCAA March Madness first and second rounds last weekend which is always huge.

If this league folds due to the NFLPA's hesitation in implementing a formal work agreement with the AAF it tells me that this league was never about providing fans with more football or creating a commodity from a pool of unused and available talent, it was just about money. Now I'm not saying that is all bad, you have to make money in order to stay in business. But we were sold a 'pig in a poke', so to speak, with all of this talk about creating a league, providing options for players, player safety, player benefits, an improved game and fan experience, and a community center piece for area lacking professional sports options. 

sad really, all of it...

Not all players on PRs are released at the end of the year. Only the ones the team does not want back or the player does not want to return. The rest are placed on futures contracts. These, and the third string QBs are the ones the AAF wants but will never get.

blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »

Maybe only a few hundred million football fans. Perhaps this bold announcement at this point of the 1st season, but the root cause seemed probable.

Captain Obvious, ahoy!

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Colton

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 06:11:03 PM »

Sorry....not seeing much talent in the AAF. that's the problem apparently. lol

That and nobody cares about it
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 06:35:01 PM »

I am not seeing how this attains leverage on the NFLPA.  They represent NFL player, including NFL PR players who have "made it" at least to one level above the AAF.   Sending PR guys to the AAF benefits the NFL in terms of developing guys, and it obviously benefits the AAF.  How does it benefit the NFLPA?  It doesn't create new jobs, it essentially undermines player safety for the PR guys who will get no off-season, and it increases the ability of PR guys to potentially take jobs from existing NFL vets (who are the core constituency of the NFLPA).

Why would the NFLPA care if the AAF folded?  Is Dundon expecting the NFL to lean on the NFLPA if he ratchets up the pressure? 

Albright seems to be a big fan of the AAF, but he needs a fuller explanation to be credible on this. 

agree, hard to leverage something you don't have, lol... again, the comment in opinion does more harm than good to the league and their efforts to continue growing interest...

That and nobody cares about it

yet you read and comment about it, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 06:37:31 PM »

I'm still curious about the 49 players reported to have NFL deals in place. Are they mostly NFL veterans with a renewed chance with another team or mostly PR players.

IIRC the broadcasters reported that 80% of AAF players had some NFL exposure. The problem with that is many may have used up all their PR eligibility. Players with 1 or 2 years PR experience might still have some upside and get new looks at TC.

The real question or test is how many will actually still be with any NFL team after TC? There are bound to be some but they will be competing with the 2019 draft choices and free agent signings during this past off season.

It's no different that the CFL. Some TC or PR cuts from 2018 will sign somewhere new in 2019. Some may even make AR or PR's on new teams.

OTOH, each team will bring in 25-40 new rookies for TC and will look at hundreds in tryout camps or from their neg lists.

It's a tough business. Players don't always get 2nd PR chances. Those that have had 3 or 4 different teams looking at them will find getting yet another chance increasingly difficult. Some may be emergency replacements when injuries occur etc.

I'll see if I can find the link to the materials that stated that... it was on reddit and they had a link to the image of the actual handout that was being passed out at the NFL combine...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
GCn19

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 06:49:15 PM »

agree, hard to leverage something you don't have, lol... again, the comment in opinion does more harm than good to the league and their efforts to continue growing interest...

Continue to grow interest? Friday there will be no more AAF.

Colton

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 06:59:08 PM »

It's too bad I'm one of about twelve people or the league might have survived more than 2 months.
the paw

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 07:10:31 PM »

It's too bad I'm one of about twelve people or the league might have survived more than 2 months.

Best quote from the Deadspin comments section....

"No malice towards the AAF, but I hope they fold just so we can see the headline....Dundon Done!"

Cheesy

grab grass 'n growl
blue girl

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 07:16:56 PM »

I find it odd that if the AAF wanted to use NFL PR players that they wouldn't have reached an agreement with the NFLPA before the season started. I really thought that this league would survive but if they don't they're just another football league to throw on the scrap heap. I believe that the XFL 2.0 is next.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: