Blue Bombers Forum
July 11, 2020, 02:17:41 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: AAF - May Discontinue Remainder of Season [UPDATE - Ceases Operations]  (Read 18711 times)
Ridermania

« on: March 27, 2019, 04:13:37 PM »

AAF in trouble!

https://www.tsn.ca/dundon-aaf-considering-discontinuing-1.1280574
« Last Edit: April 03, 2019, 10:13:12 PM by Jets » Logged
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 04:18:23 PM »

Paging 66....paging 66...

Anybody think the NFLPA is going to bail them out by risking it's PR players health? I can guarantee that the PR players to a man are saying F...orget that.

Kind of a slap in the face by Dundon to the current players as well. "We won't continue unless we can get better players" I'm paraphrasing, of course, but that is essentially what he is saying.

I don't think the NFLPA will allow it's members to risk their health, and I think Dundon knows that and is simply creating an exit strategy that puts blame elsewhere.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:22:37 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 04:25:17 PM »

some talents could be flowing to the CFL real soon

poor Manziel, can't go back to CFL anymore  Grin
the paw

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 04:29:52 PM »

Sounds like a disingenuous argument to me.  

Their original business concept did not rely on using active NFL PR players, so this is a new aspect that seems to be the brainchild of Dundon.  

It seems to suggest that fans are attending due to player quality.  Surely they would expect the quality of players attracted and retained to improve over their first year, and making a determination about what fans will and won't support on this limited sample size seems hasty.

I think its entirely feasible Dundon is floating this bogus excuse when his real agenda is to get his hands on proprietary gambling apps and tech that GCn18 flagged some time ago.  

Of course Dundon wouldn't be a factor if Ebersol had been telling the truth about the financing and investment he had purportedly lined up before launch.  
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:41:18 PM by the paw » Logged

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 04:31:56 PM »

Aren't NFL PR players free agents at the end of every season, same as in CFL? I'm not so sure that those players wouldn't want some playing time to improve their chances on an NFL roster. If they are actually free agents there is no guarantee they even get back onto an NFL PR with the previous team in 2019.  It's still relatively a lot of money for a short season that gears them up to be more ready for a shot at an NFL season.

As far as whether the NFL is going to feed them players I never believed that would be the case.

From a business point of view you'd think they would have ironed that out before starting the AAF in the 1st place.

If the league does fold there will be about 400 players that become available. A few might get some TC looks in the CFL.

OTOH, not sure I care whether the AAF succeeds or not.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 04:36:27 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2019, 04:36:44 PM »

Crazy. Nobody predicted this would happen.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2019, 04:39:32 PM »

Crazy. Nobody predicted this would happen.

Maybe only a few hundred million football fans. Perhaps this bold announcement at this point of the 1st season, but the root cause seemed probable.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2019, 04:48:48 PM »

Sounds like a disingenuous argument to me.  

Their original business concept did not rely on using active NFL PR players, so this is a new aspect that seems to be the brainchild of Dundon.  

It seems to suggest that fans are attending due to player quality.  Surely they would expect the quality of players attracted and retained to improve over their first year, and making a determination about what fans will and won't support on this limited sample size seems hasty.

I think its entirely feasible Dundon is floating this bogus excuse when his real agenda is to get his hands on proprietary gambling apps and tech that GCn18 flagged some time ago.  

Of course Dundon wouldn't be a factor if Ebersol had been telling the truth about the financing and investment he had purportedly lined up before launch.  

What baffles me is this, does Dundon seriously think that the NFLPA would agree to players being on the NFL PR from July to February then immediately heading off to the AAF until the end of April? This would be extremely detrimental to a players health and career longevity therefore there is zero chance it happens....but Dundon gets his gambling app for what will likely be a fraction of the 100 million dollars in development already spent.

theaardvark

« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2019, 04:49:43 PM »

The AAF was supposed to develop NFL fringe players, especially QB's and Oline that "don't get a lot of snaps on an NFL roster as backups / development players".  Kinda says it right there that they were supposed to have a number of NFL players, not starts, but at least players identified as having teh potential to play NFL, and develop them.  

Instead, they have a bunch of never were's...

So, yeah, had they been populated with young NFL prospects, they might have been a lot better off.  Maybe even have them wear a patch designating which team they are property of, make like a neg list restriction, and loan the players from the NFL club to the AAF team...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2019, 04:50:51 PM »

some talents could be flowing to the CFL real soon

poor Manziel, can't go back to CFL anymore  Grin

Sorry....not seeing much talent in the AAF. that's the problem apparently. lol

GCn19

« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2019, 04:52:57 PM »

Aren't NFL PR players free agents at the end of every season, same as in CFL? I'm not so sure that those players wouldn't want some playing time to improve their chances on an NFL roster. If they are actually free agents there is no guarantee they even get back onto an NFL PR with the previous team in 2019.  It's still relatively a lot of money for a short season that gears them up to be more ready for a shot at an NFL season.

As far as whether the NFL is going to feed them players I never believed that would be the case.

From a business point of view you'd think they would have ironed that out before starting the AAF in the 1st place.

If the league does fold there will be about 400 players that become available. A few might get some TC looks in the CFL.

OTOH, not sure I care whether the AAF succeeds or not.

No NFL PR players are not FA's at the end of the season like in the CFL.

66 Chevelle

« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2019, 04:57:58 PM »

a couple of things come to mind...

first, I think it's a disservice to both the league and the players for Dundon to say anything in regards to the status of the league hinging on a NFLPA decision, even if it's true, at least at this point in the season. I'm not exactly sure what he hopes to accomplish by putting the NFLPA out there like that because to me, it would strength the NFLPA position to NOT cooperate and gives them a platform to explain publicly why there is concern on their part, i.e. player health, etc...

Dundon did not say that the AAF needed better players, what he did say was that the AAF was hoping to get those O linemen and 3rd string QBs that traditionally reside on NFL practice rosters to come to the AAF.  Why those specific player groups? Because the NFL has stated time and time again that these 2 specific groups needed live action snaps in order to be able to progress and improve. Currently that isn't happening in the NFL landscape so, if the AAF can solve a problem for the NFL they feel they can solidify themselves as an extension of the NFL, i.e. funding and an increased league valuation in terms of resale...

Also, I'm not completely sure why Dundon needed to make this type of statement in regards to accessibility with players as it is my understanding that all players that are on practice rosters are released at the end of the season, much like the CFL. Secondly, even if those PR players sign futures contracts with an NFL team the AAF has previously stated that they have an agreement with the NFL that would allow players to play in either league as their seasons do not overlap. So, that would beg the question, is that or is that not the case?

If the league does discontinue, it won't be because their wasn't fan interest as both attendance and TV ratings continue to grow. San Antonio drew over 30,000 fans last week and TV viewership was over 830,000 this weekend on premium cable channels, which is impressive considering it was competing against the NCAA March Madness first and second rounds last weekend which is always huge.

If this league folds due to the NFLPA's hesitation in implementing a formal work agreement with the AAF it tells me that this league was never about providing fans with more football or creating a commodity from a pool of unused and available talent, it was just about money. Now I'm not saying that is all bad, you have to make money in order to stay in business. But we were sold a 'pig in a poke', so to speak, with all of this talk about creating a league, providing options for players, player safety, player benefits, an improved game and fan experience, and a community center piece for area lacking professional sports options. 

sad really, all of it...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
66 Chevelle

« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2019, 05:06:25 PM »

from Benjamin Allbright, noted NFL insider via his twitter account...

"The AAF is not in any danger of folding. 

They're just trying to leverage for NFLPA cooperation in securing players.

Hyperbole ftw, though."

66 Chevelle

« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2019, 05:08:32 PM »

in fact, here is a link to the complete twitter thread, very interesting to say the least...sounds like Dundon may in fact be that wing nut you all suggested he was...

https://twitter.com/AllbrightNFL/status/1110945866322509824

the paw

« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2019, 05:28:03 PM »

from Benjamin Allbright, noted NFL insider via his twitter account...

"The AAF is not in any danger of folding. 

They're just trying to leverage for NFLPA cooperation in securing players.

Hyperbole ftw, though."

I am not seeing how this attains leverage on the NFLPA.  They represent NFL player, including NFL PR players who have "made it" at least to one level above the AAF.   Sending PR guys to the AAF benefits the NFL in terms of developing guys, and it obviously benefits the AAF.  How does it benefit the NFLPA?  It doesn't create new jobs, it essentially undermines player safety for the PR guys who will get no off-season, and it increases the ability of PR guys to potentially take jobs from existing NFL vets (who are the core constituency of the NFLPA).

Why would the NFLPA care if the AAF folded?  Is Dundon expecting the NFL to lean on the NFLPA if he ratchets up the pressure? 

Albright seems to be a big fan of the AAF, but he needs a fuller explanation to be credible on this. 

grab grass 'n growl
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: