Blue Bombers Forum
July 13, 2020, 06:59:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: AAF - May Discontinue Remainder of Season [UPDATE - Ceases Operations]  (Read 18764 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 01:43:38 PM »

Well there are only so many rosters spots in any league. Some players will never get more than some brief PR time. Others will bounce around for a few seasons. As players age, develop injury issues or become SMS casualties they are replaced by younger draftees each season.

So it's not surprising that many AAF or CFL players have spent some team with an NFL team. There   
will be some that show well and get new opportunities in the NFL.

Not every player that gets released in TC is a bad player. It's a numbers game along with SMS factors and who looked better in a short TC and avoids any early injury.

Why the AAF bothers making the point of players with NFL experience is essentially just quoting the obvious.

IMO they were really over selling the feeder league idea to draw fan interest. In the end the product on the field will determine their ultimate success. The first step is to be profitable and I don't see that actually happening.

8 teams, 10 games = 40 game season. Of those only 2 per week are televised in Vancouver. Perhaps more are shown in the US but this limits financial reward for broadcasting rights. We're hearing mixed analysis about paid live attendance and how that steps up against costs.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:49:39 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2019, 02:01:44 PM »

well, considering that is only 4 people fewer than the number of people that care about the CFL, I'd say that you are probably only 1 or 2 seasons away from folding up the tents and becoming a footnote in the history of football yourself... lol...

Do us all a favour: leave this forum and cease your CFL fandom with petulant, ignorant comments like this.

This comment is about as pathetic as the AAF has been.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
theaardvark

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2019, 02:58:29 PM »

Futures deals can be signed and do not need league approval, nor is their a time limit for the team to ratify them in the offseason and do not count against team maximum offseason roster limits, also there is no monetary commitment. Mainly just a way for teams to gain and hold players rights essentially.

The NFL equivalent of a neg list, except it is not secret...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2019, 04:12:20 PM »

The NFL equivalent of a neg list, except it is not secret...

Pretty much except you are actually under contract and can go to no other league that honors NFL contracts. A much more team friendly arrangement than our neg lists.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 04:18:17 PM »

Pretty much except you are actually under contract and can go to no other league that honors NFL contracts. A much more team friendly arrangement than our neg lists.

I guess, but the secrecy of a CFL neg list is also a factor... also, aren't futures contracts pretty easy to get out of if you get a real offer of a contract elsewhere?  Seems I always see that happening... 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GCn19

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 04:46:02 PM »

I guess, but the secrecy of a CFL neg list is also a factor... also, aren't futures contracts pretty easy to get out of if you get a real offer of a contract elsewhere?  Seems I always see that happening... 

Nope...they are a contract. Other teams cannot even talk to you.

Blue In BC

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 05:16:16 PM »

Nope...they are a contract. Other teams cannot even talk to you.

Does that mean the report by Chevelle66 that many AAF players ( 49 ) had futures contracts was incorrect?

Does the AAF even honor NFL contracts? You'd think they would if they were trying to negotiate some sort of deal with the NFL.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 06:04:06 PM »

Does that mean the report by Chevelle66 that many AAF players ( 49 ) had futures contracts was incorrect?

Does the AAF even honor NFL contracts? You'd think they would if they were trying to negotiate some sort of deal with the NFL.

These players would not be allowed to play in the AAF if they had already signed futures contracts. They can however terminate their AAF contract and sign a futures deal at any time. Perhaps this is what he means, that 49 players left the AAF to sign futures contracts. However, I have not seen a single source anywhere indicating that any AAF players have done so as of yet. The NFLPA will not allow players under NFL contract to play in the AAF. Period. There are currently ZERO AAF players under contract in the NFL.

EDIT:

There have not even been 20 contracts terminated by the AAF yet. Bunch of malarkey that 66 is shoveling.

IMO, there is possibly a list of 49 players under futures contracts that the AAF would like to have in their league and the NFLPA has told them "not a chance bub". Calling them AAF players in that circumstance is comical really.
Dundon is not trying to apply leverage to the CFLPA...there is no leverage. He is trying to test the NFL owners who have agreed to allow futures contracts players to play in the AAF to see if they will negotiate injury settlement provisions for these players if they are injured while in his league. This is something that according to FOXsports the NFL owners are vehemently against. Therefore, the AAF is caught between a rock and a hard place. A union that won't allow it's players to play in his league without insurance against injury, and NFL owners who are unwilling to provide that insurance.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 06:43:44 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Blue In BC

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 08:07:16 PM »

That makes more sense. Especially since it was reported so early in the AAF season. If any interest in AAF players had developed by NFL teams we'd have heard the specifics.

As has been mentioned it's not a great idea for players to move from one league to another in such a short time span. Even with the short AAF season, it's going to take a physical toll to jump into another season of football into the NFL.

I guess we'll see what happens at the end of their season but I have doubts of any major influx from AAF to NFL or even the CFL.

I don't think chevelle66 intended to mislead us but the premise seemed odd by all accounts.

EDIT: Just noticed all 4 games seem to be on the broadcast schedule this week on TSN. I wonder what changed.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 08:10:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 08:58:45 PM »

oh the double standard... do as I say, not as I do... lol...  I guess when you're part of the majority it's okay to make stupid comments, make up your own reality...  but I'll stay as long as I want to stay, or until I'm banned... but if one would check, instead of posting trolling comments, you would see that I add as much relevant content here as anyone...

so there's that...

as far as the AAF posting being a lie, well once again, here's a link to want I referenced...

http://sg-dbooks.com/AAF/2019-Combine/2/

so, there's that...
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:35:39 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
3rdand1.5

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 09:12:24 PM »

Why so much arguing here? It's a good in theory league, however it appears that they didn't have enough money to keep it a-float, IMO they offered players too much for a start-up league. Got a influx of money from Dundon to keep it a-float and he is "getting cold feet". We don't really know why invested in the first place, did he just want rights to the gambling app? Did he over estimate the NFL's interest, maybe it was to impress a cheerleader or about a million other possibly scenarios. If he didn't would there even be a AAF still? Will we still have the AAF in two weeks?

At the end of the day if they do fold eh....they had some good ideas and put together a pretty respectible group of players and coaches. It will be unfortunate as players, coaches, trainers, heck even stadium cleaners will lose jobs and that sucks. Does it really matter at the end of the day if 49 players used the out clause or whether it's "fake news".......
Blue In BC

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 09:39:56 PM »

oh the double standard... do as I say, not as I do... lol...  I guess when you're part of the majority it's okay to make stupid comments, make up your own reality...  but I'll stay as long as I want to stay, or until I'm banned... but if one would check, instead of posting trolling comments, you would see that I add as much relevant content here as anyone...

so there's that...

as far as the AAF posting being a lie, well once again, here's a link to want I referenced...

http://sg-dbooks.com/AAF/2019-Combine/2/

so, there's that...

It's all about context. The way I read that link was that some AAF players had offers previously from NFL team, not that they had current offers. The link mentioned 187 players had an NFL tryout. In itself that is not significant. CFL teams probably see a bunch of the same players at open tryout that may have had an NFL tryout earlier.

So from a context point of view your early comment was misleading. As I said I don't believe that was your intent.

It appears that AAF players can only accept a new NFL offer after the completion of the AAF season.

That was not how it was represented originally.

Quit playing the victim of the conversation.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2019, 01:36:42 PM by ModAdmin » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 10:32:57 PM »

It's all about context. The way I read that link was that some AAF players had offers previously from NFL team, not that they had current offers. The link mentioned 187 players had an NFL tryout. In itself that is not significant. CFL teams probably see a bunch of the same players at open tryout that may have had an NFL tryout earlier.

So from a context point of view your early comment was misleading. As I said I don't believe that was your intent.

It appears that AAF players can only accept a new NFL offer after the completion of the AAF season.

That was not how it was represented originally.

Quit playing the victim of the conversation.

it's not context... when it says that 49 Alliance players exercised "NFL outs", you have to be under AAF contract to be considered an AAF player which is the only way you can exercise an "NFL out"... I'm not sure how much clearer it could be but feel free to interpret it any way you want... I was just passing along information that I found...

as far as playing victim? hardly... but if some want to call me out I'm going to respond... nothing more, nothing less...

the paw

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2019, 01:06:26 AM »

it's not context... when it says that 49 Alliance players exercised "NFL outs", you have to be under AAF contract to be considered an AAF player which is the only way you can exercise an "NFL out"... I'm not sure how much clearer it could be but feel free to interpret it any way you want... I was just passing along information that I found...

as far as playing victim? hardly... but if some want to call me out I'm going to respond... nothing more, nothing less...

The same material says that an AAF player can exercise the NFL out during the period between the AAF Championship game and the end of the NFL season.  The heading says 49 players exercised the NFL out during the 2018 NFL season (before the AAF was operational).

So it seems clear that 49 guys signed with AAF, got an offer from the NFL, and left before playing a game in the AAF.  I think it would be a little hyperbolic for the AAF to take credit for coaching up, promoting, or even giving exposure to these 49 players. 

The real test will be how many current AAF roster guys exercise their NFL out after next month (assuming the league is still there).

grab grass 'n growl
66 Chevelle

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 02:51:16 AM »

The same material says that an AAF player can exercise the NFL out during the period between the AAF Championship game and the end of the NFL season.  The heading says 49 players exercised the NFL out during the 2018 NFL season (before the AAF was operational).

So it seems clear that 49 guys signed with AAF, got an offer from the NFL, and left before playing a game in the AAF.  I think it would be a little hyperbolic for the AAF to take credit for coaching up, promoting, or even giving exposure to these 49 players. 

The real test will be how many current AAF roster guys exercise their NFL out after next month (assuming the league is still there).

I think that when looking at this document it's important to understand the intent of the information included and the target audience... this wasn't a public document that was handed out to the press or media to try and make claims of success... it was a hand out that was given to players that were at this year's NFL combine to educate and recruit those players that are not drafted and not signed as non drafted free agents after the draft.. they are saying 'hey look, even if you don't get a call on draft day, the NFL is looking at players that we sign and we will give you the best chance to make it to the NFL'...

but I agree with you, the real proof in the pudding will be how many players get a call after the season is over and more importantly, how many actually make a PR or AR roster at the end of the process...

some may feel that just getting a chance to go to camp would be worth the experience of playing in the league as they may not have gotten that chance otherwise...

it's a crap shoot at the end of the day but I think we all can agree that many players are willing to do almost anything to get that call... the AAF is saying, we'll give you the best chance at getting that call and pay you as well... it's a recruitment tool... whether it's true or not is yet to be determined...

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: