Blue Bombers Forum
July 05, 2020, 09:08:42 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: AAF - May Discontinue Remainder of Season [UPDATE - Ceases Operations]  (Read 18458 times)
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 07:21:08 PM »

Crazy. Nobody predicted this would happen.

Easy there, or you'll break the forum's sarcasm-o-meter. Grin

When Dundon himself says shutting down the league is an option being explored, you know it's in dire straits. It's neither opinion nor hyperbole.

It's too bad I'm one of about twelve people or the league might have survived more than 2 months.

LOL Cheesy

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Colton

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 08:05:44 PM »

I find it odd that if the AAF wanted to use NFL PR players that they wouldn't have reached an agreement with the NFLPA before the season started. I really thought that this league would survive but if they don't they're just another football league to throw on the scrap heap. I believe that the XFL 2.0 is next.

I agree with the paw, in that this sounds more like a Dundon idea than an AAF idea.
Jesse

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 08:12:49 PM »

I agree with the paw, in that this sounds more like a Dundon idea than an AAF idea.

I feel like it was always part of their plan as their goal seemed to be to become a feeder league for the NFL. I guess they hoped they could prove their legitimacy and strike a deal with the NFL for player exchanges.

Obviously did not work out.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 08:30:42 PM »

Not all players on PRs are released at the end of the year. Only the ones the team does not want back or the player does not want to return. The rest are placed on futures contracts. These, and the third string QBs are the ones the AAF wants but will never get.

How is that different than in the CFL? Players become free agents at the end of the season unless new contracts are offered. That doesn't usually happen for a month or so.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 08:36:57 PM »

I'll see if I can find the link to the materials that stated that... it was on reddit and they had a link to the image of the actual handout that was being passed out at the NFL combine...

I took the comments about players with " future contracts " to suggest those were signed after joining the AAF.

In theory if players signed futures contracts with the NFL they wouldn't have been allowed to sign in the AAF. At least that's the argument being made by the AAF wanting those candidates and not getting an NFL agreement.

So this really needs more explanation to clarify not only the details about the NFL experience of those with NFL history and when their futures contracts were signed.

It's not like any CFL or NFL team is going to put a top draft choice on their PR. If most PR players actually become free agents then NFL has no say in what they do.

As in the CFL some PR players might get 2nd or 3rd opportunities but chances get slimmer as a new group of draftees becomes available.

« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 12:55:46 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
lenny

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 08:54:57 PM »

These guys post-facto wanted to run it like an NHL/AHL situation but you don't declare you're not in competition with the NFL and want to be a feeder/development league after you created the league, financed the teams etc. If the NFL wanted to create a comparable NHL/AHL or MLB situation then you approach them beforehand and seek out the connections. Bound to fail which most predicted.
TBURGESS

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 09:27:41 PM »

Best quote from the Deadspin comments section....

"No malice towards the AAF, but I hope they fold just so we can see the headline....Dundon Done!"
    Cheesy
Best line of the day.  Grin

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 11:24:47 PM »

It's too bad I'm one of about twelve people or the league might have survived more than 2 months.

well, considering that is only 4 people fewer than the number of people that care about the CFL, I'd say that you are probably only 1 or 2 seasons away from folding up the tents and becoming a footnote in the history of football yourself... lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 12:20:19 AM »

well, considering that is only 4 people fewer than the number of people that care about the CFL, I'd say that you are probably only 1 or 2 seasons away from folding up the tents and becoming a footnote in the history of football yourself... lol...

A few more people than that care about the CFL, which is why it lasted longer than 2 months.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
GCn19

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 11:12:15 AM »

How is that different than in the CFL? Players become free agents at the end of the season unless new contracts are offered. That doesn't usually happen for a month or so.

Futures deals can be signed and do not need league approval, nor is their a time limit for the team to ratify them in the offseason and do not count against team maximum offseason roster limits, also there is no monetary commitment. Mainly just a way for teams to gain and hold players rights essentially.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 11:18:59 AM »

I find it odd that if the AAF wanted to use NFL PR players that they wouldn't have reached an agreement with the NFLPA before the season started. I really thought that this league would survive but if they don't they're just another football league to throw on the scrap heap. I believe that the XFL 2.0 is next.

If the AAF really wanted to be a developmental league with guys on futures contracts or PR players they would/should have made their schedule to coincide with the NFL so that players can have an effective offseason. Starting up months before the NFL season and ending before it starts is not a developmental league as it would produce a season that is so long it would definitely have negative effect on the players health. So I'm not buying this sudden need for NFL players made by Dundon, just a convenient excuse to fold down a money pit.

GCn19

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 11:20:52 AM »

I nominate this for dumbest post of the year. Perhaps use some thought and not emotion when you post. You come off looking petty and small with that post. The CFL has been around a 100 years and will be around another 100, if football is still being played. Unlike some pee on league like the AAF is to the US market, the CFL is part of our national fabric and will never be allowed to fail by our country. It goes beyond football, our governments would step in.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:11:08 PM by GCn18 » Logged

dd

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 12:44:28 PM »

He?s always trolling and bashing either the CFL or Nichols, it?s what he does, just ignore him like everybody else does
GCn19

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 01:05:42 PM »

He?s always trolling and bashing either the CFL or Nichols, it?s what he does, just ignore him like everybody else does

I generally like 66, but that post went beyond poor taste and just places a very bad look on him. There are reasons to criticize the CFL or even Matt Nichols but suggesting our league will fold because the AAF couldn't succeed is at best completely ignorant of reality, and at worst a malicious troll job.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2019, 01:14:11 PM by GCn18 » Logged

booch

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 01:15:04 PM »

Not sure what the AAF's angle is about trumpeting that such and such a percent of the players have had NFL exposure...same thing can be said about the CFL as well for former NFL exposure...also this pipe dream of "loaning/lending" PR players...would never fly...and who is paying them?...why would they take a pay cut, and why would NFL pay with a chance they get injured, then are on the hook for their salary/rehab costs...also what PR guy would even agree to that?...pretty much none.

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: