Blue Bombers Forum
June 05, 2020, 02:16:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  
Author Topic: AAF - May Discontinue Remainder of Season [UPDATE - Ceases Operations]  (Read 17191 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #180 on: April 07, 2019, 01:12:31 PM »

Who ever cashed out early in that league shouldn't be in business. They had a plan they knew they weren't going to make money the first year. They let alot of good players down. The league was also good for the CFL. Kept players playing .the NFL should have gotten involved and put some cash in just to cover losses.

Why should the NFL be involved in the losses created by other billionaires? Those individuals should pay all existing liabilities owned to players ( injuries ) or suppliers. That's the way things are supposed to work.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #181 on: April 07, 2019, 01:38:23 PM »

Why should the NFL be involved in the losses created by other billionaires?

No kidding. This isn't the NFL's problem and it doesn't owe jack all to the AAF.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Cheesebuster

« Reply #182 on: April 07, 2019, 02:11:03 PM »

Please keep the discussion out of the political realm, as per the rules here.  Thanks.
Just because you say that I'm going to defiantly recommend everyone read Football for a Buck by Jeff Pearlman. It's about the rise and fall of the USFL and Trumps involvement in that. It's a great read.

What a rebel I am.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #183 on: April 07, 2019, 03:31:02 PM »

If I was given the choice, I would rather the NFL had folded instead of the AAF... and as much as I know it will never happen, I am rooting for the XFL to succeed... pipe dream I know... but as I look across the landscape of football it almost makes me sick as it relates to the 'haves' and the 'have nots'... and for all that the NFL is I find it hard at times to allow myself to want to enjoy it... and what I mean by that is, the numbers they generate and spend are just stupid...

Much like the CFL there are 2 distinct stratospheres of economic groups that make up the players as a whole... I guess it's bound to happen, certain positions, especially skill positions, are harder to fill than others and the top players at their respective positions, whether its a skill position or not, will get their payday... which is fine, to an extent, but much like the stock market, it's time for a 'market correction' in professional sports as whole, in my opinion...

As a numbers person, I tend to do a lot of research about things I'm interested in and when we as a group started talking about the rise and demise of the AAF I really started looking hard at the numbers... when you look at the NFL numbers and start to really think about them it only confirms to me why I don't support the NFL monetarily... especially when you think about professional leagues like the CFL, or upstarts like the AAF or XFL, who live day to day... where 1,000 people in the stands actually makes a difference in their bottom line...

With the money that this league generates it's really hard for to even consider paying for a ticket to watch a game in person... the average price of a ticket for a LA Chargers game, which is currently the most expensive ticket on average, is $199 US... the least expensive ticket, the Browns, seems like a more reasonable  ticket, only $66 US on average... one could say that even at the high end, $199 per seat, that this isn't really all that bad, until you look at what a 'good' seat actually cost vs the cheaper tickets that puts you so far away from actually being able to see whats going on, lol... regardless, take a family of 4 to a Chargers game and you're looking at $1,000 dollars, easily, if you're buying the median ticket price, add in parking, concessions, etc... a grand to go to one game? they'll tell you that it's justified due to the expense associated with running a professional sports team, but think about this...

in 2019, each team's portion of the their annual TV revenue will be $255,000,000 US!  PER TEAM!

the salary cap for 2019 will be $188,000,000 per team...

Sponsorships, media, partnerships, ticket and concession sales are some of the most important revenue streams for the NFL. In 2015, the revenue of all 32 NFL teams added up to $12,610,000,000... that's 12 with a B, billion, lol... the Dallas Cowboys generated revenue of over $900,000,000 last year...

the Bills are the least valuable franchise yet it would set you back over $1B to buy...

player salaries are way past stupid, at least for the 'haves', while the bottom tier guys will likely be broke less than 1 or 2 years out of the league... Tom Brady has made over $250M in salary alone during his playing career to date, not to mention the money and freebies he collects from endorsement deals...

yet teams still cry poverty at times and threaten to leave a city if they don't build them a new stadium, holding both the city and the fans hostage while leaving the tax payers holding the bill...

while the upper tier of players will be fine, at least financially, the lower tier will struggle to afford to pay on going medical cost in years to come due to game related wear and tear on their bodies...

I know it's hard to feel sorry for these players, but again, the 'haves' will be alright and the 'have not's' will be in worse shape, financially and quality of life when it's all said and done... the NFL could, and should, do more for long term programs for players as a whole given the dollars they burn through...

but just think of what the CFL, or the AAF or XFL, as a league could do for the players and fans if they could score just the amount of money that 1 NFL receives for their portion of TV revenue alone... makes you just shake your head... think about the difference in annual salary cap alone, NFL vs CFL, $188M vs approximately $4M US? it all just makes you almost sick to your stomach, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TecnoGenius

« Reply #184 on: April 07, 2019, 04:17:58 PM »

But maybe the NFL and its huge money is necessary for the game of football as a whole.  It represents the "American Dream" to kids and college players.  Every player, Canadian or American, dreams of making it in the NFL and getting their huge payday.  That's not a bad thing.  Hopes, dreams and something to strive for.

If you take away the possibility of millions in the NFL, and all you are left with is $75k in the AAF or, say $150k for a good non-qb player in the CFL, a ton of kids (and families) will be like "meh" and invest their time and talent in something else.

I don't like the NFL much, but I see its purpose, and if freely negotiating people are arriving at ludicrous $$ contracts, that's their business and more power to them.  The only problem is if the pie starts to shrink and revenue & caps go down.  That could throw the whole thing in disarray.  But that's "ifs and buts" for the future...

As for $1k for a family to go to the NFL... that's what provides the niche for a AAF/XFL/whatever to succeed.  Sure, it sucks if you're a huge Cowboys fan but are poor.  But that's life.

Never go full Rider!
Blue In BC

« Reply #185 on: April 07, 2019, 04:19:25 PM »

Nearly all pro sports are paying excessive amounts in salaries to players at the top end. Of course it's a supply / demand issue but it's all about making money. Ultimately the fans pay for these salaries via ticket prices or burden of sponsorship as consumers.

While I don't know exactly what Tom Brady earns there are some reports he's earned $250M during his career. Would he have played any less well for 1/2 that amount as an example?

There seem to be many NFL players earning in excess of $1M per game. This only happens by raising the SMS and just increasing revenues to match. What were Super Bowl add costs:? Something like $5M for 30 seconds?

It's nuts. It won't happen but would the game be substantially changed if at all if the NFL SMS was dropped by half?
« Last Edit: April 07, 2019, 04:22:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #186 on: April 08, 2019, 03:54:37 AM »

You?re right it won?t happen. The SMS is related to revenues by the league and the players union has fought tooth and nail to get the salaries they?re getting. If the league wasn?t making soooo much money they could roll back the cap but it ain?t going to happen. And if it did, the play wouldn?t drop off at all as where else are the players going to go to get that type of money,  nowhere legally !!
GCn19

« Reply #187 on: April 08, 2019, 11:17:59 AM »

I think the big difference between what is being suggested in this scenario and what typically happens in other similar deals is, when other businesses then subsequently closes or broken up and sold off is that all parties share in the revenue from the sale off... what I feel is being suggested is that Dundon thinks that since he was primarily shareholder that he does have the power to shut it down, which he does, but he can't cherry pick what assets he wants for himself and walk away from the rest... now if he wanted to close the doors forever, sell off everything, pay off all creditors, and then split whatever is left by percentage of ownership... that would be fine as well as legal...

I'm not a lawyer and I didn't stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night, so I'm no expert, but... this isn't twitter post or other social media saying this and if The Sporting News, and other similar credible sources, are saying that it might be illegal, I'm going to believe that they may be correct... but that's just me, but at the end of the day, I'm not going to lose any sleep over it no matter how it shakes out...

If it was a bankruptcy sale you would be right. However, it's not, and Dundon is not asking for chapter 11 protection. Therefore, as chairperson of the league he can decide the division of assets so long as he is only taking his proportional share of the assets based on his ownership stake. I am sure that is why a certain level of burn rate was attained prior to the suspension of the league. Slimy, you bet...but there is nothing illegal about it. The AAF still exists, it's just not a football league anymore.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #188 on: April 13, 2019, 12:00:26 AM »

I just checked this and was more than a bit surprised... as of today the NFL has either signed or will work out 45 players from the AAF with more expected to be signed after this month's draft... that's a lot!

Blue In BC

« Reply #189 on: April 13, 2019, 01:38:58 AM »

I just checked this and was more than a bit surprised... as of today the NFL has either signed or will work out 45 players from the AAF with more expected to be signed after this month's draft... that's a lot!

Nothing to get excited about. Teams work out players all the time but it doesn't mean they get signed. If they do get signed it doesn't mean they make a given roster.

Many of the players that have signed have used up their PR time so they need to make an active roster. Odds are long in some cases. After the NFL draft there will be hundreds of other players being looked at that will push the " now " available AAF players down some of the current interest of NFL teams.

Reaser ( sp ) was re-signed early by the Chiefs but he was drafted in 2012 or 2013. He was with the Chiefs last season but released in the fall of 2018.

Will he make their roster over a 2019 draft choice? Time will tell but just an example of how hard it might be to reinsert himself back onto an NFL roster.

Don't know much about the Chief or whether they lost many DB's in free agency, or gained many. That might be a telling sign of his chances.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #190 on: April 13, 2019, 06:20:12 AM »

Nothing to get excited about. Teams work out players all the time but it doesn't mean they get signed. If they do get signed it doesn't mean they make a given roster.

Many of the players that have signed have used up their PR time so they need to make an active roster. Odds are long in some cases. After the NFL draft there will be hundreds of other players being looked at that will push the " now " available AAF players down some of the current interest of NFL teams.

Reaser ( sp ) was re-signed early by the Chiefs but he was drafted in 2012 or 2013. He was with the Chiefs last season but released in the fall of 2018.

Will he make their roster over a 2019 draft choice? Time will tell but just an example of how hard it might be to reinsert himself back onto an NFL roster.

Don't know much about the Chief or whether they lost many DB's in free agency, or gained many. That might be a telling sign of his chances.

whether he makes a roster or not he is going to be paid $100,000... not to shabby..

Blue In BC

« Reply #191 on: April 13, 2019, 01:10:55 PM »

whether he makes a roster or not he is going to be paid $100,000... not to shabby..

How so if he can't be put on the PR? Did he get a signing bonus or guaranteed money?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:16:37 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #192 on: April 13, 2019, 01:15:59 PM »

Reports say players aren't allowed to sign in the CFL at the moment. How can this be true? The league is no longer in existence and no longer paying players after an abrupt early finish.

That should make all contracts null and void. In what world can you essentially go out of business, fire everyone and prevent them seeking new employment?

Using Ciante Evans as an example: he hasn't come to any agreement with an NFL team at this point as far as I know but he can't return to the CFL?

I also wasn't under the impression the CFL had any reciprocal agreements in place. Even if they did that's gone out the window.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #193 on: April 13, 2019, 01:26:28 PM »

How so if he can't be put on the PR? Did he get a signing bonus or guaranteed money?

both, $50,000 each...

Reports say players aren't allowed to sign in the CFL at the moment. How can this be true? The league is no longer in existence and no longer paying players after an abrupt early finish.

That should make all contracts null and void. In what world can you essentially go out of business, fire everyone and prevent them seeking new employment?

Using Ciante Evans as an example: he hasn't come to any agreement with an NFL team at this point as far as I know but he can't return to the CFL?

I also wasn't under the impression the CFL had any reciprocal agreements in place. Even if they did that's gone out the window.

what I read was... the player contracts have value as they can be sold, so, they are considered a company asset and will be considered such in the event of any bankruptcy proceedings... does not apply to the NFL because of 'NFL out' included in contract

Blue In BC

« Reply #194 on: April 13, 2019, 01:37:23 PM »

both, $50,000 each...

what I read was... the player contracts have value as they can be sold, so, they are considered a company asset and will be considered such in the event of any bankruptcy proceedings... does not apply to the NFL because of 'NFL out' included in contract

I don't see how an " employee " can be held hostage as an asset. Players had contracts which were broken the moment they didn't get a game paycheck. They were an trade asset when the league was functioning.

While this may be the argument by the AAF I see there are already lawsuits by former office staff. Who do they think they are going to " sell " those contracts to? The NFL would have been the biggest market for players.

It seems the league isn't interested in full filling the balance of their contracts with anyone but want to restrict players.

Is there an example of any USA company that closed where employees were sold as an asset?

Regarding Reaser. Ok, that's interesting and good for him. He may have a chance to make the Chiefs roster but we'll wait and see. $100K in the NFL is practically petty cash. A few players have signed multi year deals so they may have more guarantees.

Others just getting workout or TC invites fall down the scale so to speak.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2019, 01:42:57 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14
  Print  

Jump to: