Blue Bombers Forum
July 13, 2020, 07:20:56 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg to host an NFL preseason game  (Read 30621 times)
gobombersgo

« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2019, 09:51:21 AM »

I would say this is fake news. Valour FC have a game at home Thursday August 22nd. I doubt the NFL would be okay with not having access to the stadium the day before the game.  The Bombers would not move the soccer game either as they would lose all credibility with the soccer club season ticket base. Not something you want to do with a first year club moving a regular season game for a game not even involving a team from Winnipeg. It would show the soccer fans they could care less about the club and only want to make money.

I'd say they would look at rescheduling the Valour game to ensure the field is ready for the NFL game. What's the season ticket count by the way? Can they play the game at the Waverly soccer complex?

From what I read, it would be possible to repaint the field after a soccer game on Thursday and have it ready for the NFL game on Friday. Problem is if it rains and the field is wet then they can't do a proper job.

Coincidencely enough the Pakers were involved with the Hall of Fame game a few years ago that was cancelled due to the condition of the paint on the field. They will make darn sure that won't happen again.

buckzumhoff

« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2019, 10:33:09 AM »

I'd get a ticket . Team would make some money. . They should have alot more events at the stadium. And two good teams to watch. Won't get these chances too often.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:41:55 AM by buckzumhoff » Logged
Fred C Dobbs

« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2019, 10:38:09 AM »

Bombers are playing at Edm on Aug 23. No matter what happens at IGF it's the Bomber game that I'll be watching.

Good advice: "There are a lot of idiots out there posting on forums. But if you ignore them, they will eventually go away."
Waffler

« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2019, 12:06:37 PM »

Huh!?
Lining a field takes a few hours
How long does it take to add goal posts? and remove like they were never there?

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2019, 12:17:08 PM »

thats the easiest and quickest part of the whole field switch actually
TBURGESS

« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2019, 12:19:59 PM »

I wouldn't bother going to an NFL preseason game. It doesn't interest me very much. I wonder how many folks in Winnipeg would be interested enough to pay to see it? Big risk of not even half filling the stands IMO.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
Waffler

« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2019, 12:28:42 PM »

thats the easiest and quickest part of the whole field switch actually
How is it when there is not hole in the turf or the asphalt under it? I'm asking out of ignorance. I've never seen goal posts installed.

« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2019, 12:29:15 PM »

As much as we all say it may be a half-full stadium, the NFL has an insane following even in Winnipeg.  With fantasy football being so big, their following has grown even larger.  It would be a once in a lifetime chance for most to see an NFL game.
blue_or_die

« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2019, 12:45:20 PM »

As much as we all say it may be a half-full stadium, the NFL has an insane following even in Winnipeg.  With fantasy football being so big, their following has grown even larger.  It would be a once in a lifetime chance for most to see an NFL game.

I agree. I think it will sell well and it will be full with non-CFL fans. I hate that there are many among us who love only NFL and have no respect for the CFL, but hey, if it gets their butts in the seats at IGF, then that's great. Make money for the club and show them that we have a nice stadium capable of putting on a big show. Maybe they will come back for a Bomber game.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
bluengold204

« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2019, 12:54:33 PM »

I'd go just for a chance to boo that turncoat Brown... if he even shows up.
booch

« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2019, 01:35:26 PM »

How is it when there is not hole in the turf or the asphalt under it? I'm asking out of ignorance. I've never seen goal posts installed.

Pretty easy to cut a hole and there is the same underlay and base where the nfl post would go (5 yards from the goal line) and the mounting/base that the pole sits in under the turf is an easy install...and easily covered after not needed, as is done in many multipurpose stadiums in North America....also they would only re-locate one anyway most likely and start the goal line 10 yards out from whichever end zone they decide to use as the post not to be moved
Sec223

« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2019, 01:52:11 PM »

For the cost of a ticket the stars better be on the field for a few snaps. Game 1 of exhibition is usually played by nobodies.
Waffler

« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2019, 01:57:07 PM »

For the cost of a ticket the stars better be on the field for a few snaps. Game 1 of exhibition is usually played by nobodies.

It's going to be week 3 of exhibition season so I would expect to see some starters play part of it.

« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2019, 02:18:41 PM »

Not sure where they would put the price, maybe a high premium on the platinum seats, and cheapies in the endzones, upper decks...  NFL wouldn't want to see empty seats.

I'm thinking this might be an opportunity to get those "IGF is in the wrong place, I'll never go there" people to experience the stadium.  Or get hardcore NFL fans to see what getting off your couch and getting to a game is like.  I don't think it gets too many CFL fans excited, but it can tap into another demo and just maybe get a little crossover...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2019, 02:33:55 PM »

I'd imagine the majority of the starters wouldn't even travel with the team; it'll be mostly depth/PR players in action. This is a terrible idea and the only way I see it being feasible is if the WFC and/or league make a substantial sum of money for hosting the game.

I sure wouldn't waste my time or money on attending a crappy NFL pre-season game.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: