Blue Bombers Forum
July 07, 2020, 05:06:52 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg to host an NFL preseason game  (Read 30277 times)
gobombersgo

« Reply #45 on: March 28, 2019, 02:31:55 PM »

If a town as epically starved for entertainment as Regina is doesn't think they could attract interest for this game, I don't know if we should be bothering either.
Don't think that's an issue. One of the reasons mentioned why the Riders don't want the game is that fans will spend money to go this game which would mean less money is spent on the Riders.

Unless some agreement is put in place the Riders wouldn't make money on the NFL game whereas the Bombers would.

Ridermania

« Reply #46 on: March 28, 2019, 02:46:43 PM »

Riders do not own the stadium, they are just the main tenant.

Green Bay Packers site says that the August exhibition game against the Raiders will be held in either Manitoba or Saskatchewan.

Colton

« Reply #47 on: March 28, 2019, 02:47:37 PM »

I'm not interested. I don't like The Packers, The Raiders are terrible and I don't want to pay full price for an NFL pre-season game. And most importantly The Bombers are playing that night.

I don't believe the NFL game is scheduled for the 23rd (at least not yet). If the game was played in Winnipeg it would probably be the 22nd, 24th, or 25th
John T.

« Reply #48 on: March 28, 2019, 02:53:15 PM »

I've been to an NFL preseason game, in San Francisco, Vikings vs. 49ers, about five years ago.

It was, by a very wide margin, the most boring event I've ever paid money to see, and the tickets weren't cheap.

It's a great idea if it makes money, and it probably will - remember, prior to Jets v2.0, Winnipeg regularly sold out preseason NHL games between utter non-entities like the Canucks, Oilers, and Coyotes.

So go if you want, but don't think, or pretend...even for an instant...that you're going to watch an entertaining event.
gobombersgo

« Reply #49 on: March 28, 2019, 03:01:24 PM »

I've been to an NFL preseason game, in San Francisco, Vikings vs. 49ers, about five years ago.

It was, by a very wide margin, the most boring event I've ever paid money to see, and the tickets weren't cheap.

It's a great idea if it makes money, and it probably will - remember, prior to Jets v2.0, Winnipeg regularly sold out preseason NHL games between utter non-entities like the Canucks, Oilers, and Coyotes.

So go if you want, but don't think, or pretend...even for an instant...that you're going to watch an entertaining event.
Winnipeg also sold out Bell MTS Place for a pre-season NBA game.

Colton

« Reply #50 on: March 28, 2019, 03:04:49 PM »

Personally I'm with you. I just can't watch sports where the outcome doesn't matter. I've never been able to watch preseason NFL, NHL, or CFL games without losing interest within the first half of the game.

I do think there might be a decent sized chunk of NFL fans in the city that would go just to say they've been to an NFL game (meaningless game or not). It would probably need to be pretty affordable to capture that crowd though as I feel the higher you price it, you start targeting only fans that could easily travel to the States to watch a regular season game if they wanted to.
theaardvark

« Reply #51 on: March 28, 2019, 04:10:58 PM »

I don't think there is much downside, and lots of upside.  We all want to see the best players, and we all know that NFL PR players are generally better than CFL starters.  Generally. 

It is a different game, on a different field, but it is still football. 

And it might be fun to see the tiny little NFL field mapped out against a real football field...  and give NFL players a taste of what it would mean to play up here. 

Here is another potential benefit, exposing the NFL players to our stadium / fans.  And our city. 

Can you imagine, our scouts watching the game, and when the Packers or Raiders make their cuts, we sign one of the guys who actually played here? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

« Reply #52 on: March 28, 2019, 04:41:00 PM »

Don't think that's an issue. One of the reasons mentioned why the Riders don't want the game is that fans will spend money to go this game which would mean less money is spent on the Riders.

Unless some agreement is put in place the Riders wouldn't make money on the NFL game whereas the Bombers would.

The only reason is the tight turnaround between the NFL game and the regular CFL home game a day later.  Logistically, it wasn't going to work.  The Riders don't own Mosaic Stadium and do not have the authority to decide whether or not a game would be held there.  Since every ticket is charged a $12 stadium fee, the city would have been eager to host the game if it was feasible since 30,000 tickets would mean $360,000 towards the stadium debt. 
GCn19

« Reply #53 on: March 28, 2019, 04:44:17 PM »

I don't think there is much downside, and lots of upside.  We all want to see the best players, and we all know that NFL PR players are generally better than CFL starters.  Generally. 

And it might be fun to see the tiny little NFL field mapped out against a real football field...  and give NFL players a taste of what it would mean to play up here. 

Here is another potential benefit, exposing the NFL players to our stadium / fans.  And our city. 

Can you imagine, our scouts watching the game, and when the Packers or Raiders make their cuts, we sign one of the guys who actually played here? 

There is lots of potential downside. The Bombers will have to guarantee the Raiders a certain dollar amount to get this game. They then have to be able to make that money back and hopefully profit as well. If fans don't embrace it, it could be a disaster.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
sting

« Reply #54 on: March 28, 2019, 08:08:20 PM »

I don't believe the NFL game is scheduled for the 23rd (at least not yet). If the game was played in Winnipeg it would probably be the 22nd, 24th, or 25th
As mentioned earlier, it can't be the 22nd as the field is already booked for a soccer game.
theaardvark

« Reply #55 on: March 28, 2019, 08:41:44 PM »

There is lots of potential downside. The Bombers will have to guarantee the Raiders a certain dollar amount to get this game. They then have to be able to make that money back and hopefully profit as well. If fans don't embrace it, it could be a disaster.

Of course it has to be financially viable.  How much they want for this game is key.  $US is very high right now as well...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #56 on: March 28, 2019, 09:14:07 PM »

Yikes the winter was tough on posters in these parts.....
NewBlue

« Reply #57 on: March 28, 2019, 10:41:32 PM »

That's actually a good point...but do we expect 25,000 fans pumping the DCB's during an exhibition game?  They won't get to see our passionate fans.
But how many times do we hear a new signing say they knew nothing about WPG?  In this case at least it is great advertisemnet for our city (not to mention the millions of fans watching on TV).
DM83

« Reply #58 on: March 29, 2019, 02:43:41 AM »

I laugh when someone says something about showcasing our city, and the jist is that people will see it's landmarks and magically invade our city by the millions.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to come to Winnipeg, because of it's amazing stadium, gardens, trees, the Holocaust museum or the Provencher bridge.
Many more cities have the same or similar buildings etc., plus more, plus historical, or world class attractions.

I am afraid we have none of that.
We are a very nice small city, with cheap taxes, few people and easy to get around in.
I don't think prospective football playing 20 year old unemployed Americans would want to stay here.  What wouild thery do?
TecnoGenius

« Reply #59 on: March 29, 2019, 05:25:13 AM »

I laugh when someone says something about showcasing our city, and the jist is that people will see it's landmarks and magically invade our city by the millions.
I don't think anyone in their right mind would want to come to Winnipeg, because of it's amazing stadium, gardens, trees, the Holocaust museum or the Provencher bridge.
Many more cities have the same or similar buildings etc., plus more, plus historical, or world class attractions.

Hey, WPG isn't all that bad.  Sure, it's no MTL and no Vancouver, but it has its charms.  Especially if you actually like winter and summer (I do, vs Vanc's one season: rain).  Plus, those who give it a chance often come to like it as home.  Heck, we didn't even have any mosquitoes for the last 2 years!  (knock wood)

I don't think the objective would be to wow them over better places: no, just to make it so they've heard of the place and don't equate it to Fargo or something, like most most Americans might.

We are a very nice small city, with cheap taxes, few people and easy to get around in.

There, fixed it for you.  Unless you live in the North End, taxes here are nasty.  Mine are up 70% (between school tax and frontage rip-off factor) in 10 years.  My BC buddy with his $1.3M small home always laughs at me how his property tax is only $1k.

Never go full Rider!
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: