Blue Bombers Forum
October 01, 2020, 02:07:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg to host an NFL preseason game  (Read 35141 times)
DM83

« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2019, 03:17:26 PM »

Wow!

What a bunch of hypocrites.

Football is football.m

Plus If they bring the NFL experience,mthe stuff before the game, that could be a show in itself.
The Bombers do a lot of things right.  But a lot of things wrong also. 

This would be so much fun
blue_or_die

« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2019, 04:30:24 PM »

I'd imagine the majority of the starters wouldn't even travel with the team; it'll be mostly depth/PR players in action. This is a terrible idea and the only way I see it being feasible is if the WFC and/or league make a substantial sum of money for hosting the game.

I sure wouldn't waste my time or money on attending a crappy NFL pre-season game.

I didn?t research this myself but since this news broke I have read that apparently week 3 is when many starters have traditionally played. Weeks 1 & 2 are for the depth, and week 4 is a rest for the starters as they approach the start of season. Not sure the degree of truth to this.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2019, 04:35:06 PM »

I'd imagine the majority of the starters wouldn't even travel with the team; it'll be mostly depth/PR players in action. This is a terrible idea and the only way I see it being feasible is if the WFC and/or league make a substantial sum of money for hosting the game.

I sure wouldn't waste my time or money on attending a crappy NFL pre-season game.

IIRC the Argos and the Lions previously had to pay quite a bit to hold an NFL pre season game. Whether they made any money or not I don't know.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2019, 04:51:09 PM »

How many Pack fans from Minnesota would drive here?  Or NFL fans from SSK or N. Ont? 

It could be big, or a dead fart, depending on promotion and pricing...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2019, 05:34:57 PM »

I would consider going just because it's something new and different, but I wouldn't drop a whole lot of coin on a ticket.

Usually preseason tickets are the same price as regular season tix for some reason though so I think I they're going to price themselves out of my attendance.

My wife is amazing!
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2019, 06:24:26 PM »

I didn?t research this myself but since this news broke I have read that apparently week 3 is when many starters have traditionally played. Weeks 1 & 2 are for the depth, and week 4 is a rest for the starters as they approach the start of season. Not sure the degree of truth to this.

Admittedly, I pay next to zero attention to the NFL pre-season. I can't comment on if/when starters actually see game-time prior to week 1 but I'd have to think it's similar to what happens in the CFL pre-season: a quarter or so and then that's it. I don't know.

IIRC the Argos and the Lions previously had to pay quite a bit to hold an NFL pre season game. Whether they made any money or not I don't know.

How long ago was that? The Bills Toronto Series was a while ago and I remember it wound up being a failure after all was said and done.

Also, I'd be inclined to think the NFL would want its own people running the show for such an event, what with IGF being a non-NFL stadium. That makes me wonder if hosting a pre-season game would even be profitable for the WFC.

I really couldn't care less either way, but I think the only way this comes to fruition is if the organization knows they can make a substantial money by hosting this event.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
blue girl

« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2019, 06:59:14 PM »

I'm not interested. I don't like The Packers, The Raiders are terrible and I don't want to pay full price for an NFL pre-season game. And most importantly The Bombers are playing that night.
blue_or_die

« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2019, 07:04:48 PM »

Admittedly, I pay next to zero attention to the NFL pre-season. I can't comment on if/when starters actually see game-time prior to week 1 but I'd have to think it's similar to what happens in the CFL pre-season: a quarter or so and then that's it. I don't know.

Yeah, but the starters playing is the crux to this being very successful or a complete dud IMO. For the many hardcore NFL fans, just getting to see A-Rod and Brown live will make it worth the price of admission. Even a quarter or half might do the trick.

But yeah, if it's nobodies, then I don't see how this could be even slightly interesting. Pre-season games are horrible. I pretend to be pumped to see players that we only here reports on in TC when CFL preseason starts, but I'm lying to myself- those games are horrible lol.

blue girl

« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2019, 07:20:27 PM »

I don't watch much NFL pre-season because it conflicts with the CFL regular season.
drahgon

« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2019, 08:40:05 PM »

Rarely watch any NFL, particularly pre-season. Since this proposed game conflicts directly with a Bombers game there is 0% chance I would attend. However, fully support the idea if the Bombers think they can make some money by hosting.

Agree that it may get some folks to visit IGF that wouldn't normally consider it.
theaardvark

« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2019, 11:39:30 PM »

If they are going to charge Heritage Classic or Grey Cup prices, it will flop horribly.  If they are closer to regular season Bomber games, they will do OK.  Its not like they are needing gate to fund their teams...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_or_die

« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 12:18:31 AM »

If they are going to charge Heritage Classic or Grey Cup prices, it will flop horribly.  If they are closer to regular season Bomber games, they will do OK.  Its not like they are needing gate to fund their teams...

This seems reasonable.

TecnoGenius

« Reply #42 on: March 28, 2019, 04:11:54 AM »

I agree. I think it will sell well and it will be full with non-CFL fans. I hate that there are many among us who love only NFL and have no respect for the CFL, but hey, if it gets their butts in the seats at IGF, then that's great. Make money for the club and show them that we have a nice stadium capable of putting on a big show. Maybe they will come back for a Bomber game.

You bet.  If you break even or make a few bucks, and gain 1 new Bomber fan, you win.  I bet we make more than a few bucks, and get much more than 1 new Bomber fan.  Sounds good to me.

I'm not interested. I don't like The Packers, The Raiders are terrible and I don't want to pay full price for an NFL pre-season game. And most importantly The Bombers are playing that night.

OK, that part sucks.  Maybe the NFL game is in the afternoon and we can all make it home in time for CFL kickoff?  I'm not sure I could go if the times overlapped because you just know they'd show some of the Bomber game/score on the big screen.  I hate knowing the scores (even early ones) before I can watch a game...

Never go full Rider!
GCn19

« Reply #43 on: March 28, 2019, 11:07:30 AM »

If a town as epically starved for entertainment as Regina is doesn't think they could attract interest for this game, I don't know if we should be bothering either.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #44 on: March 28, 2019, 01:52:40 PM »

If a town as epically starved for entertainment as Regina is doesn't think they could attract interest for this game, I don't know if we should be bothering either.

Was that a reason, though? Based on what I've read, it sounds like logistics were why this got the kibosh in Regina.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: