Blue Bombers Forum
October 22, 2020, 02:25:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
  Print  
Author Topic: Winnipeg to host an NFL preseason game  (Read 36702 times)
Donny C

« Reply #255 on: June 06, 2019, 04:08:07 PM »

To me, watching the game is not just sitting there and viewing. It's an interactive experience. From chatting with the police officers (they think my taunts are funny), to heckling the other team (and researching the players ahead of time), arm wrestling players like Alan Michale Cash, having Mike Riely almost trip over a cooler, getting free swag like a signed towel, a ball, having Odell Willis come over and eat some popcorn, giving a player a 7-11 Big Buck, it is all part of the experience.
Stretch

« Reply #256 on: June 06, 2019, 04:17:36 PM »

To me, watching the game is not just sitting there and viewing. It's an interactive experience. From chatting with the police officers (they think my taunts are funny), to heckling the other team (and researching the players ahead of time), arm wrestling players like Alan Michale Cash, having Mike Riely almost trip over a cooler, getting free swag like a signed towel, a ball, having Odell Willis come over and eat some popcorn, giving a player a 7-11 Big Buck, it is all part of the experience.

Busy guy, but you forgot "get camera love".  Grin

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #257 on: June 06, 2019, 04:22:10 PM »

Actually..even though an older staduim now the Esk's have one of..if not THE best facilities for players..staff..training etc...as well as team amenities. Has been noted in media that their facilities rival many, and beat a lot of NFL organizations..their facilities are top notch

Intresting, haven been there in many years. Guess Edmonton got scratched becuase we';re playing the esks there that weekend.

[deleted]
Donny C

« Reply #258 on: June 06, 2019, 04:25:33 PM »

Busy guy, but you forgot "get camera love".  Grin

The cameras find me. It is the fact of the same people working the cameras looking for shots that will be appropriate for tv. I do very little to get on tv, but I do still enjoy it.
Stretch

« Reply #259 on: June 06, 2019, 04:41:56 PM »

The cameras find me. It is the fact of the same people working the cameras looking for shots that will be appropriate for tv. I do very little to get on tv, but I do still enjoy it.

Yeah, you keep believing that....

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #260 on: June 06, 2019, 04:43:00 PM »

We have decided to pass on the game unless some cheap second hand seats can be found at the last minute. 

1) the football will likely be pretty bad - just the way of preseason

2) for me being a big NFL fan the attraction is the star players and the hype of the experience being at the NFL show...the stars will be limited and the experience/hype will not be the same as being in the States immersed in the fandom.

3) what I would pay for if I could justify it would be the seats right behind the benches - lots of $$ but you would be just feet away from Gruden and assuming guys like AB on the sidelines.  Seeing that is what would make it somewhat worthwhile.   Watching the game from the upper deck just won't be the same.
theaardvark

« Reply #261 on: June 06, 2019, 04:45:20 PM »

We have decided to pass on the game unless some cheap second hand seats can be found at the last minute. 

1) the football will likely be pretty bad - just the way of preseason

2) for me being a big NFL fan the attraction is the star players and the hype of the experience being at the NFL show...the stars will be limited and the experience/hype will not be the same as being in the States immersed in the fandom.

3) what I would pay for if I could justify it would be the seats right behind the benches - lots of $$ but you would be just feet away from Gruden and assuming guys like AB on the sidelines.  Seeing that is what would make it somewhat worthwhile.   Watching the game from the upper deck just won't be the same.

Maybe you or PJ could start that thread already Wink 

At least you won't be stopping STH's from giving their seats to deserving children...  Cool

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #262 on: June 06, 2019, 07:34:46 PM »

What? Love me some conspiracy theories but this is easily debunked. Raiders are giving up a home game because they have to. They have a very stained relationship with The Oakland Colosseum right now, there was a chance they wouldn't play any home games in Oakland this year, they were looking at using the 49ers stadium or SF Giants ballpark for 2019. Just in March their lease at the coliseum got extended 1 year, and their rent more than doubled.

Reason being they move to Las Vegas next year. Doubt it's their goal, but it's conceivable Winnipegers would go to Vegas to attend a game. Lots do for Golden Knights games.

My theory on why they choose Canada and CFL cities is logistics. CFL teams have logistics chains set up to host big football games. Hotels agreements, careering for teams, transportation, etc. A lot of behind the scenes stuff needed to host a game of this level. NCAA schools probably could too but it might encroach on other NFL markets. Toronto and Vancouver were probably first choice but their stadiums have MLs tenants, and a lot ntow events. Edmonton Calgary have dumpy stadiums. sask and Winnipeg have nice new underused stadiums and football crazy fans. Perfect storm and I doubt it'll happen again in my lifetime, so I got my ticket Smiley

you're correct about the stadium relations, I saw the same thing when I was looking into this... however, from the fan's perspective, they are sold out on season tickets and have a wait list of over 15,000... now that won't matter once they move, but the raiders do have a following...

also, season tickets for Vegas are already in the sale process and as you can imagine, it's a sale out as well... so, coming to Canada won't impact that, doesn't need to, so I still have to ask, what's in it for the Raiders to do this?

Sidenote: while looking up this stuff I got into the whole nasty scheme of the PSL... what a racket! thank god you all don't have to do that in the CFL, even at a reduced price.. the PSL price in Vegas starts at $3900 per seat and goes all the way up to $75,000 per seat! Also learned that teams do not sell individual game tickets, all of those tickets sold on StubHub or TicketMaster are resale of STH tickets... which answered a question I had relative to the huge swing in price of seats located close together...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #263 on: June 06, 2019, 08:15:37 PM »

so I still have to ask, what's in it for the Raiders to do this?

They've got nowhere else to go basically.

[deleted]
66 Chevelle

« Reply #264 on: June 06, 2019, 08:28:14 PM »

They've got nowhere else to go basically.

they are playing preseason games 1 at home in the same place they played last year...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #265 on: June 06, 2019, 08:28:32 PM »

Nice image from Riderfans... slightly cheaper than heritage classic tickets, but there isn't a local team involved...

Most sections at IG Field are actually more expensive then those at Mosaic for the NHL game.  The average ticket price will be higher as well.  Looking at ticketmaster, I figure the average ticket price for this NFL exhibition game is around $275.  Grey-Cup like prices.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #266 on: June 06, 2019, 08:32:36 PM »

It's crazy expensive cuz it never comes here. Don't like the prices? Don't go. But of course its gonna be expensive. The NFL is a much more expensive league than the CFL

People can just go to Minneapolis to see a regular season game at cheaper price - it's easily accessible.  I can split gas with a friend get 3 nights accommodations at a 3* hotel, a pair of upper deck tickets to one of the best stadiums in the world, and visit a few other attractions for a similar price that two upper deck seats ($330 each) will cost for this exhibition game at IG Field.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #267 on: June 06, 2019, 08:33:59 PM »

You're ignoring people who might come from outside of Manitoba. Not saying we'll get anyone from Florida or California, but possibly some from North Dakota or northern Minnesota and NW Ontario.

A few hundred perhaps, that's about it.  Cheaper to attend an exhibition game in Green Bay...where seats on StubHub sell for less then $10.
blueandgoldguy

« Reply #268 on: June 06, 2019, 08:35:43 PM »

Thing is: the NFL isn't afraid to travel for regular season games. But if the market sucks, why would they come back?

This is a one-off or at least once in a generation event.  Even if it did sellout, it is unlikely they would come back for at least 20 years.
TheHypnotoad

[deleted]

« Reply #269 on: June 06, 2019, 08:35:47 PM »

they are playing preseason games 1 at home in the same place they played last year...

They share the stadium with the Oakland A's, who are playing the Yankees at home August 22nd...

[deleted]
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 23
  Print  

Jump to: