Blue Bombers Forum
March 25, 2019, 09:47:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers re-sign defensive tackle Drake Nevis  (Read 950 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: March 16, 2019, 03:02:06 PM »

Bombers re-sign defensive tackle Drake Nevis

WINNIPEG, MB., March 16, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has re-signed international defensive tackle Drake Nevis to a one-year contract.

Nevis has spent the past two seasons with Winnipeg after signing as a free agent in 2017. In 2018, the LSU product started all 18 regular season games as well as both playoff games, recording 28 defensive tackles and two quarterback sacks.

In 2017, his first season in Winnipeg, Nevis started 14 games, recording 22 tackles and one sack. Prior to coming to the Bombers as a free agent, he spent two seasons with the Hamilton Tiger-Cats where in 2016, he started 14 games at defensive tackle. Nevis recorded 29 tackles, five quarterback sacks and one pass knock down during his time with the TiCats.

Prior to joining Hamilton, Nevis spent time in the NFL from 2011-2014 after being selected by Indianapolis in the 3rd round, 87th overall in the 2011 NFL Draft. Nevis has recorded 50 tackles (23 assisted), one sack and one pass deflection in 26 career NFL games. Following his time in Indianapolis, Nevis also spent time with Dallas (11 games played), Jacksonville and San Diego.

Nevis had a stellar career (2007-2010) at powerhouse LSU, playing in 44 games and registering 84 defensive tackles, 27 tackles for a loss, 11 quarterback sacks, four forced fumbles, one interception and five pass break ups. He recorded 56 defensive tackles, 11 tackles for a loss, six quarterback sacks, three forced fumbles, one interception and a pass breakup as a senior while being named a second-team All-American and first-team All-SEC.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blueraid

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 03:51:36 PM »

Don't know why he took to re-up....Grass wasn't anymore greener than it is here I suppose...Nevis is an adequate DT and if he plays as well as he did in the latter part of 18', he can be a dominant addition
kkc60

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 03:54:23 PM »

Nice to see him back but I really like our DT prospects
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 04:23:56 PM »

Don't know why he took to re-up....Grass wasn't anymore greener than it is here I suppose...Nevis is an adequate DT and if he plays as well as he did in the latter part of 18', he can be a dominant addition

Way more than adequate, he is one of the best in the league at his position.  He came in last year in much better condition than the previous year and it showed, well deserved to be rewarded for his performance. 
Blue In BC

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 04:34:48 PM »

Good to hear. He's a very good DT. I wonder what his new contract looks like compared to 2018. Also means 1 less change on defense. With the addition of Jefferson our defense is looking pretty good.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 04:41:13 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2019, 04:47:20 PM »

I guess we might not need to start an Nat at DT anymore, so his value went up to the point where our offer was good enough... 

IMHO, a great re-signing, our 4 DL is going to be scary.  Jefferson, Nevis, Bryant and Jeffcoat?  With Biggie up on the line for blitzes?  There will be a lot of opposing equipment managers out there toiling to remove skidmarks from opponents skivies...
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 06:02:25 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2019, 06:01:04 PM »

I'm glad that they finally got around to re-signing him. Good move Bombers.
Pigskin

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 06:10:16 PM »

Some of these players are probably considering career changes.
dd

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 06:12:32 PM »

Good to hear. He's a very good DT. I wonder what his new contract looks like compared to 2018. Also means 1 less change on defense. With the addition of Jefferson our defense is looking pretty good.
I agree. Folks are concerned about the loss of JSK but I think Wilson or who ever will fill in adequately and the addition of Jefferson puts us in a position of being better than last year as there will be serious pressure on Abs. Yes we ve lost Randal , Fogg and Loffler but if the an doesn?t have time to throw rookies in our secondary won?t be exposed as much this year as last
Pigskin

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 06:28:45 PM »

Randle and Fogg got beaten so many times last year, they must have thought they were rental mules. Fogg was out of position more then he was. I mean the man made a couple of plays, but even a blind dog finds the odd bone.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2019, 06:24:10 PM by Pigskin » Logged
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2019, 06:40:00 PM »

Nice to have some continuity on the DL....he played well last season!   I'm thinking our D has to be dominant for us to have any success in the playoffs....I trust we will!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2019, 07:45:01 PM »

That's a pretty significant signing for us. Glad he's back. Not sure what took so long.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2019, 12:48:57 AM »

Great move.  Glad to see Nevis back.  D will be crazy dominant this year.  Guess we're trying to recreate the best-in-league D motif of yesteryear.

Obviously Nevis wanted a payday (nothing wrong with that) but had no takers, so he took our more than fair offer and decided to stay with his buds.  Walters tactics work more often than not.  And we still have gobs of SMS to spend on WR.....
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2019, 02:20:17 AM »

Beast that some wanted gone in the past.  Consistent performer.

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
blue_or_die

« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2019, 03:30:53 PM »

Great news. He flew under the radar in the FA must-re-sign frenzy but I had concerns about a gaping hole in his position. He is under-rated.

I am now very, very happy with our DL.
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: