Blue Bombers Forum
June 05, 2020, 02:47:55 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alouettes For Sale  (Read 10654 times)
TecnoGenius

« Reply #15 on: March 23, 2019, 07:07:34 AM »

I think the AAF is extremely similar to the CFL.
Could it be.....

Bite your tongue!!  If you're implying what I think you are, I sincerely hope you're not correct!

I think we (CFL) will be ok.  Every 10 years there's these panics and fits, but it all turns out ok in the end.  Worst I can see is lose a team (MTL), gain a team (HAL).  Rinse, repeat.

Never go full Rider!
Fire101
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2019, 07:11:58 PM »

https://www.tsn.ca/cfl-could-buy-alouettes-sell-to-investors-1.1278771
Fire101
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2019, 06:09:27 PM »

I think it's time to call Eric Lapointe.

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/28/montreal-alouettes-creditors-may-be-closing-in-report/
« Last Edit: March 30, 2019, 06:15:00 PM by Fire101 » Logged
Fire101
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2019, 06:12:21 PM »

Lapointe not in the running anymore.

https://montrealgazette.com/pmn/sports-pmn/football-sports-pmn/cfl-football-sports-pmn/eric-lapointes-group-wont-be-buying-alouettes-from-robert-wetenhall/wcm/435a589c-497e-4fb3-ac69-bcbcd34e62da

According to Herb Zurkowsky, "I will reiterate, according to my information, the Wetenhall family is out. Whether it's now or an hour from now. And the league knows it won't look good to say it's running the team. As for Eric Lapointe, indeed, he's out, regrettably. He and his group would have been good. "

Some hope concerning the Als according to Rick Moffat, "#CFL deal to buy #Als and/or operate the club until next owners are found should be in place very soon. #CFL sources tell me Wetenhall family will not sell to either mystery man Clifford Starke or #Alouettes alum Eric Lapointe."

https://twitter.com/RickMoffat?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1114195574226550788&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231114195574226550788
« Last Edit: April 05, 2019, 06:34:24 PM by Fire101 » Logged
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2019, 07:19:19 PM »

Lapointe not in the running anymore.

https://montrealgazette.com/pmn/sports-pmn/football-sports-pmn/cfl-football-sports-pmn/eric-lapointes-group-wont-be-buying-alouettes-from-robert-wetenhall/wcm/435a589c-497e-4fb3-ac69-bcbcd34e62da

According to Herb Zurkowsky, "I will reiterate, according to my information, the Wetenhall family is out. Whether it's now or an hour from now. And the league knows it won't look good to say it's running the team. As for Eric Lapointe, indeed, he's out, regrettably. He and his group would have been good. "

Some hope concerning the Als according to Rick Moffat, "#CFL deal to buy #Als and/or operate the club until next owners are found should be in place very soon. #CFL sources tell me Wetenhall family will not sell to either mystery man Clifford Starke or #Alouettes alum Eric Lapointe."

https://twitter.com/RickMoffat?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1114195574226550788&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fs9e.github.io%2Fiframe%2F2%2Ftwitter.min.html%231114195574226550788

I don't get this, clearly the Wetenhall's have not run out of money and the best way to sell something is to preserve it's value, not abandon it to the league's discretion.  What the hell is going on?
blue_or_die

« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2019, 07:44:30 PM »

I understand that the complicated part is that the franchise has value that the Wetenhalls will surely want to recuperate. Aside from that, though, why isn't community ownership an option ever floated for these situations. Bombers, Riders and Esks do just fine with this model and never have to worry about owner meddling and distracting the team with threats to sell, move a franchise, etc? It seems like this would solve the problems of the CFL's troubled franchises.

Let's face it- nobody buys a team to or expects them to make them rich. A well oiled machine in this league can break even and maybe put some pennies in the rainy day fund during the good times to offset the inevitable lean times. Just my $0.02.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2019, 08:32:04 PM »

I understand that the complicated part is that the franchise has value that the Wetenhalls will surely want to recuperate. Aside from that, though, why isn't community ownership an option ever floated for these situations. Bombers, Riders and Esks do just fine with this model and never have to worry about owner meddling and distracting the team with threats to sell, move a franchise, etc? It seems like this would solve the problems of the CFL's troubled franchises.

Let's face it- nobody buys a team to or expects them to make them rich. A well oiled machine in this league can break even and maybe put some pennies in the rainy day fund during the good times to offset the inevitable lean times. Just my $0.02.

Good question, perhaps the community ownership model is a relic of the past that has not been considered as the level of community support they could currently drum up in Montreal is questionable.  Montreal has a number of "big fish" including the Bronfman and the Molson families that used to play more prominent roles in local affairs but have moved onto the global stage, so they're probably not all that interested in small potatoes.  Somebody has to want to run the team...."put your hand down Kavis".
66 Chevelle

« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2019, 01:16:40 AM »

you have to believe that attendance has to be playing a big part in many minds... last year they had an average of 17,332 per game, down over 2,700 per game from 2018 and almost 8,000 from their high water marker back in 2010...

curious though about what happened back in 1997 because in 1996 they averaged 22,200 and then fell way off in 1997, all the way down to a mere 9,500... but what I'm curious about is what did they do in the next 7 years to bring attendance all the way back up to a respectable 23,879 average in 2004?

I know from what you all say that Montreal is a tough market but I would think that if they could get the numbers back up over that 20K mark, maybe a little higher, that they could be a decent investment for someone interested, community owned or otherwise...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2019, 02:50:47 PM »

you have to believe that attendance has to be playing a big part in many minds... last year they had an average of 17,332 per game, down over 2,700 per game from 2018 and almost 8,000 from their high water marker back in 2010...

curious though about what happened back in 1997 because in 1996 they averaged 22,200 and then fell way off in 1997, all the way down to a mere 9,500... but what I'm curious about is what did they do in the next 7 years to bring attendance all the way back up to a respectable 23,879 average in 2004?

I know from what you all say that Montreal is a tough market but I would think that if they could get the numbers back up over that 20K mark, maybe a little higher, that they could be a decent investment for someone interested, community owned or otherwise...

Wetenhall purchased the Als in 1996, at that time they were playing at the "Big O" within two years they moved to Molson Stadium and attendance picked up.  It didn't hurt that Anthony Calvillo joined the club in 1998 either.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2019, 08:32:32 PM »

Wetenhall purchased the Als in 1996, at that time they were playing at the "Big O" within two years they moved to Molson Stadium and attendance picked up.  It didn't hurt that Anthony Calvillo joined the club in 1998 either.

thanks for the back story, much appreciated! It got me curious about the Alouettes so I did a little digging... I knew that there was a period of time that Montreal suspended football operations, just wasn't sure on the time frames... so it was interesting to learn that the current team was actually resurrected from one of the folded US expansion teams, the Baltimore Stallions...

I had orginally thought that the drop in attendance was due to the team being really bad, so not the case, they hit the ground running! they were 12-6 in their first season back, then 13-5. 12-5-1, 12-6, 12-6, then 9-9, but bounced back to 13-5, 13-5, and 14-4 and played in 3 Grey Cup games over that period winning 1 of them...

maybe they should have U2 come to Molson Stadium for a concert, it could jump start another growth spurt in attendance, lol...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2019, 04:55:38 PM »

Dan Ralph

Verified account

@danralphcp
 3m3 minutes ago
More
Just was told Clifford Starke will be issuing his release on his intent to purchase the Montreal Alouettes on Thursday instead of tomorrow. #CFL
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2019, 04:57:08 PM »

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/sports/football/article-montreal-businessman-clifford-starke-to-issue-intent-to-purchase/

Montreal businessman Clifford Starke will formally announce Tuesday his ?intent to purchase? the Montreal Alouettes.

Brad Smith, a former CFL receiver with the Toronto Argonauts and Edmonton Eskimos, is a consultant with Starke?s potential ownership group and says the chairman of Hampstead Private Capital is ?more than interested? in the Alouettes.

?This is not purely a business decision, it?s a passion decision,? he said. ?The guy wants the team and wants to do it for the right reasons.?

Starke, 35, has acted as a consultant, adviser and/or director to more than 15 publicly listed companies.

Smith, also 35, and Starke grew up together in Montreal in the 2000s attending Alouettes games during a time when the team was a CFL powerhouse. From 2000-2010, the franchise appeared in eight Grey Cup games, winning three.

But the addition of Smith wasn?t made just for friendship reasons. Football has long been a cornerstone of his family as his father, Larry ? currently a Conservative senator ? played nine seasons with Montreal and later twice served as club president.

After overseeing the relocation of the franchise from Baltimore following the 1996 season as CFL commissioner, Larry Smith became Alouettes president in 1997 and held that post until 2001. Smith went on to become president and publisher of the Montreal Gazette from 2002 to 2004 before returning to the Alouettes. He remained until 2010, the last time the franchise captured the Grey Cup.

?It?s one of those things where he (Starke) has been very successful in a very short amount of time,? Brad Smith said. ?And he?s chosen to want to take that success and put it into something that?s not necessarily a right-off-the-bat successful endeavour.

?You can tell this is for him something where he wants to do right not only by Montreal but for himself as a fan.?

The Alouettes have hit hard times of late. The club hasn?t been to the CFL playoffs the past four seasons and amassed a dismal 21-51 record over that span.

Last week, the CFL said American businessman Robert Wetenhall continues to own the Alouettes amid much speculation the league has assumed control of the franchise and will be tasked with finding a new owner. It appears Starke?s group is front and centre with former Als player Eric Lapointe announcing Friday his potential ownership group was no longer in the running to purchase the Montreal club.

Last month, former Montreal Canadiens defenceman Serge Savard was said to be involved in a potential Alouettes ownership group but quickly denied any such involvement. The eight-time Stanley Cup champion added he was part of a group that once was interested in buying the Alouettes during Larry Smith?s tenure as president, but nothing came of it.

The CFL did not immediately respond for comment to an interview request on Monday.

?We want this to be taken seriously, we want to be vetted as a buyer,? said Brad Smith, who owns two restaurants in Toronto and in ?15 became a host of ?Chopped Canada? on Food Network. ?We understand we?re not the Serge Savards and Eric Lapointes yet there?s too much mystery going on right now with what?s happening.

?And the fans, most importantly, deserve to know what?s going on with their team. It?s the intent of Mr. Starke and his business partners to really understand where this process is. We just want to let people know Mr. Starke and his business partners are very serious about taking the steps in order to see if this is feasible because if there?s anybody who can do this feasibly it?s them.?

?Here?s one of the league?s flagship franchises in trouble and there are people who want to help so why don?t you let us help them??

Wetenhall has owned the Alouettes for more than 20 years. He resurrected the franchise in 1997 after it was revoked from Michael Gelfand and declared bankruptcy. Wetenhall also assumed the organization?s debts despite not legally being obligated to do so.

Early in Wetenhall?s tenure, the Alouettes were a model franchise. From 1999 to 2012, they finished atop the East Division nine times and making the eight Grey Cup appearances.

Wetenhall was a former part-owner of the Boston Patriots (AFL) and New England Patriots (NFL). In 2011, he received an honorary Doctor of Laws degree from McGill University for his work with the Alouettes and expansion of Percival Molson Stadium.

Wetenhall was inducted into the Canadian Football Hall of Fame in 2015.

RELATED
Group headed by former player Eric Lapointe won?t be buying Alouettes from Robert Wetenhall

Six-time CFL all-star Jovan Olafioye retires

Argonauts to play Alouettes in exhibition game at Varsity Stadium

GCn19

« Reply #27 on: April 08, 2019, 05:13:58 PM »

LOL...When I first read the article I read it as Tony Stark for some reason, about two sentences in I was like holy moly Iron Man is buying the Als.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: April 08, 2019, 06:33:50 PM »

LOL...When I first read the article I read it as Tony Stark for some reason, about two sentences in I was like holy moly Iron Man is buying the Als.

No... he's using money he borrowed from he Lanisters to buy it.  Hope he doesn't lose an arm and a leg doing it... or a head.   He should have seen the guys at the Iron Bank...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2019, 04:25:11 AM »

lol or Howard Stark (Iron Mans Dad). I saw the name Marvel immediately came to mind.

Good to hear it?s local ownership. Hopefully with proper community maneuvers he can make successful again.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: