Blue Bombers Forum
May 29, 2020, 06:58:09 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Alouettes For Sale  (Read 10580 times)
Fire101
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:03:21 PM »

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/13/ambrosie-says-he-has-been-working-on-an-alouettes-strategy-for-months/

https://www.tsn.ca/alouettes-have-no-comment-on-reports-of-sale-of-franchise-1.1272659

DM83

« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:12:04 AM »

Wrong guy at the GM spot, no one at QB.  They'll be gone in two,years, same with the Argos
TecnoGenius

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:38:40 AM »

I'd say Arogs have the biggest attendance problems.  TORians just don't care.

MTL at least has a solid bunch of 40-80 year olds who have been fans forever and remember the Cavillo days fondly enough to be fans for life.

But... as for selling a club... TOR seems like the more appealing buy.  I think the potential is higher in TOR (more TV eyeballs, etc.).  But it's going to take a lot of skill and luck to turn it around.

I'd really really love to go to a MTL game at Molson one of these years... Too bad football isn't happening when F1 is there, that would be the perfect excuse.  But what's up with all those darn seagulls, like Hitchcock or something...  I'll make sure to take in a night game.

Never go full Rider!
3rdand1.5

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 10:02:12 AM »

if attendance gets low enough in Mtrl, or they need a quick boost in attendance have back to back home games against Cal. and Edm. and name Butts, and Trudeau as pre-game QB'S, and give oppossing fans a chance to "sack the QB"......Could fill the big O with Western CDN's...lol
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 01:38:45 PM »

Wrong guy at the GM spot, no one at QB.  They'll be gone in two,years, same with the Argos

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
pjrocksmb

This is the CFL- support our league- Go Canada!

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2019, 01:23:39 AM »

typical rant with no truth or meaning

I don't watch the No Fun League b/c I live in Canada and love the CFL
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2019, 04:49:39 PM »

There are coaching changes almost every off season for one reason or another. I expect we may see changes going into 2020 somewhere. Where is anybody's guess. There could be movement within the CFL as promotions. Somebody might get an NFL opportunity. A team with a poor record may fire a HC or GM.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2019, 01:30:02 AM »

BC got a new HC due to retirement , Sask because their HC went to the NFL and Montreal should get a new head coach because the dude is lost in space on the sidelines!! Between him and kavis, there is little wonder why the Als suck and will continue to suck until they fix the obvious problems at the top.
Fire101
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 09:27:58 PM »

https://www.tsn.ca/former-als-player-lapointe-says-time-is-of-the-essence-to-purchase-club-1.1275953
DM83

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 01:19:25 AM »

Sigh!
I post something for discussion and am personally attacked.
This lack of respect is becoming so common by the same zeros who can't bother with a retort with an original thought.

What a waste of oxygen.

The AAF is similar in many respects to the CFL.  Some clubs have decent QBs others like the CFzl atrocious.
People in the two largest city have professional entertainment options.   Really would you want to spend bucks on a second class league with even worse management and players?

Then  next uear, another new /revised McMahon football league..will take  the remaining good players.  And then the CFL wants tomdomthatnballto with the C in CFL....

The mass hysteria of mommas not letting their Canadian Babies play football, Because they will all be concussed, will equate to a drop in the tackle game, and voila poof,....gone.

Ok let's hear the usual name calling, because original thought can not occur with you.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 04:09:04 AM »

Sigh!
I post something for discussion and am personally attacked.
This lack of respect is becoming so common by the same zeros who can't bother with a retort with an original thought.

What a waste of oxygen.

The AAF is similar in many respects to the CFL.  Some clubs have decent QBs others like the CFzl atrocious.
People in the two largest city have professional entertainment options.   Really would you want to spend bucks on a second class league with even worse management and players?

Then  next uear, another new /revised McMahon football league..will take  the remaining good players.  And then the CFL wants tomdomthatnballto with the C in CFL....

The mass hysteria of mommas not letting their Canadian Babies play football, Because they will all be concussed, will equate to a drop in the tackle game, and voila poof,....gone.

Hehe, bad night, eh?  I get that feeling sometimes when on the forum... It's a tough crowd.  Maybe they are all ornery from the gazillion year GC drought?  Who knows.

You bring up a good point.  It's weird, I've never in my life thought of the CFL as "2nd class".  I know many TOR & VAN citizens think that.  But I just don't get it.  I was privileged to get to go to a couple BB games a year with my dad during my childhood, and I thought of the CFL as no greater/lesser than the odd MLB game I got to go to as a kid, or the odd Jets game.  Of course, the AAF is by definition 2nd class (to the NFL), but it still might work out for them if they can find a niche, and financial balance.

As an adult I can appreciate how CFL might not be as flashy as the NFL, but it's our game.  It's more our game than even the NHL is.  I find CFL far more entertaining than NFL and NHL combined.  I'd say if someone is dismissing it as 2nd rate, just tell them they're missing out and then forget them.

Another good discussion you bring up is the "C in CFL" thing.  The KW/MOS CJOB show a week ago brought that up and our guys said they were ok with it.  I'm dubious.  I won't dismiss it completely, because it's obvious Ambrosie is headstrong and unless he's canned this is probably the direction we're heading.  I bet everyone is onboard if we can get more eyeballs & revenue from foreign markets.  But it has an equal chance of being a pipe dream boondoogle, IMHO.  I definitely don't want to see some sort of ratio that mandates X Mexican players, Y Finnish players, etc., ugh.  Goal #1 is to promote Canadian football for Canadian U and HS players, and get those players on the CFL field eventually.

So I guess we're stuck with these wild Ambrosie visions, and I really hope (for all our sake) they work out.  (I unashamedly liked the last 2 commishes more.)  Either that or get a new commish in there pronto.

As for the Als (to stay on topic): I really hope they get it together or find some deep pockets.  The league really shouldn't be without the Frenchie Birds.  How did they go from the GC's galore Cavillo years to the current gutter?

Never go full Rider!
DM83

« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2019, 11:36:13 PM »

Aaaaaggghhhhh. What a pleasure to read and think about a good forum post.  It's great to know there is intelligent life out there.

I too, grew up buying the "track"  seats from Baldy Northcotts store on Portage avenue.  I love the CFL and its players.  I know many of the alumni, and they are great interesting people.

Off the field these guys are like the average Joe, but of course their football talents are or were extremely special.

Seeing the general public in Toronto and Montreal abandon their team makes me sick. How stupid are they?
It has never been significant what league  great athletes play in.  I just love watching talent perform, and for me. Football combines many elements of entertainment.

I mean watching Matt Dunnugan throw seven? TD passes, and was it to Goodlow, or Jackson?, and was itnRod Hill with five interceptions in one game?  Sorry but that's talent in any league.

I think part of the problem in Canada's two biggest cities, is the size and time it takes to get to an event.  So when you get there  and are presented with an incredibly disrespectful product, poor management, coaching and less than the best players,....why return?  I wouldn't! 

dd

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2019, 07:26:16 PM »

Toronto and Vancouver are CFL cities that have failed to connect with their community, why I don?t know. I have lived in Vancouver, Regina, Calgary , Winnipeg and Toronto and TO and Vancouver couldn?t give a rip about football. I don?t know why that is. When I lived in Vancouver the lions sucked, but they?ve won GC?s as have Toronto. They just aren?t football towns, despite having strong youth/amateur programs in their communities.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »

Toronto and Vancouver are CFL cities that have failed to connect with their community, why I don?t know. I have lived in Vancouver, Regina, Calgary , Winnipeg and Toronto and TO and Vancouver couldn?t give a rip about football. I don?t know why that is. When I lived in Vancouver the lions sucked, but they?ve won GC?s as have Toronto. They just aren?t football towns, despite having strong youth/amateur programs in their communities.

I suspect it comes down to what you have for options with regards to your entertainment budget.  I don't think it's any coincidence that the city in which the CFL has (arguably) the most dedicated fan base also is the city which has the least amount of "professional" entertainment options, and with that statement I mean absolutely no disrespect to Regina, the Riders or the CFL in general.  Winnipeg, Hamilton, Edmonton, Ottawa, and Calgary have similar options and fairly dedicated fan bases, Montreal has (arguably) more options and a fan base that's solid when they're winning and non existent when they're not.  Vancouver and Toronto have about as many options as can be presented to a metropolitan area, and even with good CFL teams, they'd have a hard time competing for those dollars.
DM83

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 01:33:57 AM »

Seems like that Peanuts  comic of Charlie Brown,  applies, ..." I love mankind, it's people I can't stand."

I agree, obviously with the last comment.  But it also helps if there is consistent ownership, and professionals running the club, not some sponsors wife.

I hate to say it, but obviously when it's not your money you are playing with compared to a team that has ownership that is all in, makes a difference.

I take pride in our stick- to -it -ness.  But, the sometime flakey ownership of some teams, despite my dislike for them, have won way more Cups than us.

Places like Montreal,  Toronto and. Vancouver have more entertainment options, and a perceived better bang for the buck.

What if the  Valor Soccer club makes a bigger profit than the Bombers?
What if. The Mew Junior team draws,crowds,of 4000?

The publics discretionary dollar will have some more competition.
I think this may be a tipping point for the CFL with new smartly thought out US football leagues coming up, new sports franchises emerging( albeit minor league)

And really does anyone really care what league the local team plays in?
I think the AAF is extremely similar to the CFL.
Could it be.....

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All
  Print  

Jump to: