Blue Bombers Forum
July 06, 2020, 04:51:43 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Mock Draft  (Read 4705 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2019, 07:16:17 PM »

Ok. Use our # 23 or #24 pick on a player that might be taking a shot at the NFL.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2019, 02:56:00 PM »

Ok. Use our # 23 or #24 pick on a player that might be taking a shot at the NFL.

Or an Olineman that has one more year of eligibility left and can go back to school...  I'm thinking we might use 4 or 5 on an NFL bound player if the other first rounder is a lock to sign for this year.  Interviews are everything, and it would be nice to bring a couple players in for one on ones here...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2019, 05:23:58 PM »

Or an Olineman that has one more year of eligibility left and can go back to school...  I'm thinking we might use 4 or 5 on an NFL bound player if the other first rounder is a lock to sign for this year.  Interviews are everything, and it would be nice to bring a couple players in for one on ones here...

A player going to NFL probably drops lower so I don't know we have to use one of our top 2 picks.

We've also got pick # 14 which might be the place for the NFL guy. Maybe use both #14 & # 23 with players going to NFL.

It's going to depend on who is left that we wanted and whether they are left. # 14 might still be a player they expect to make our 2019 roster.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 05:33:55 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2019, 07:33:08 PM »

With SMS left, having both 4th and 5th picks report to camp would not be impossible to swing this year.  But I think we're going to see one solid report to camp player chosen, and then maybe the best overall player in the draft who has already declared NFL interest.  Actually, probably reverse that order (the salary a 4th pick gets might be marginally higher than a 5th pick, right?)...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #19 on: March 11, 2019, 12:40:57 PM »

With SMS left, having both 4th and 5th picks report to camp would not be impossible to swing this year.  But I think we're going to see one solid report to camp player chosen, and then maybe the best overall player in the draft who has already declared NFL interest.  Actually, probably reverse that order (the salary a 4th pick gets might be marginally higher than a 5th pick, right?)...

I'd be surprised. We didn't have the best free agency and we've lost several Canadian starters and replaced them with depth. Even in the best case scenario, that it all works out, you've still got to replace the depth. I think we roster both those first picks.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2019, 01:37:28 PM »

Can't disagree that drafting 2 players in the 1st round is not a bad idea. If reports are true that it's a talented draft class then all the more so.  At least if the best of the best don't all look at NFL opportunities.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

I'd be surprised. We didn't have the best free agency and we've lost several Canadian starters and replaced them with depth. Even in the best case scenario, that it all works out, you've still got to replace the depth. I think we roster both those first picks.

It's called "filling the pipe".  We have been "filling the pipe" for a while, and are starting to see some of the deeper picks maturing into players with a possibility of taking starting roles.  Sure, first rounders may step in year one or two, but deeper picks can take time, they can be projects.  And even go back to university.  So the draft and develop methodology has been in place a while, and we should be seeing some benefit this year... 

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #22 on: March 11, 2019, 03:44:58 PM »

It's called "filling the pipe".  We have been "filling the pipe" for a while, and are starting to see some of the deeper picks maturing into players with a possibility of taking starting roles.  Sure, first rounders may step in year one or two, but deeper picks can take time, they can be projects.  And even go back to university.  So the draft and develop methodology has been in place a while, and we should be seeing some benefit this year... 

So glad we've discovered this new way of doing things. Back in reality, roster sizes are fixed. All teams have limited space and short windows to develop players. About half of every year's draft picks will be released by August of the same year. There are exceptions but on the whole, if you're not close we're not interested. That's the reality of the CFL's rookie world. Most late-rounders project out to back-up and depth roles. Blue-chip prospects are the lifeblood of a team with strong national starters and those are typically and most easily found early in the draft. This is a year where we could use actual bodies in camp.
theaardvark

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2019, 04:25:30 PM »

So glad we've discovered this new way of doing things. Back in reality, roster sizes are fixed. All teams have limited space and short windows to develop players. About half of every year's draft picks will be released by August of the same year. There are exceptions but on the whole, if you're not close we're not interested. That's the reality of the CFL's rookie world. Most late-rounders project out to back-up and depth roles. Blue-chip prospects are the lifeblood of a team with strong national starters and those are typically and most easily found early in the draft. This is a year where we could use actual bodies in camp.

We still have players from the 2018 draft coming to camp this year...

Walters mentioned in an interview that Olinemen Matthew Ouellet De Carlo and Ben Koczwara will be in camp, guys that we drafted last year and sent back to school.  Firlotte is another 2018 draftee that is coming to camp this spring.  Conteh is a 2017 pick that has been in the pipe... and we have 9 DP's in this deep draft, including 4 and 5... 

Yes, we could use bodies in camp, and I see them expending a first rounder (5th) on a DL that has committed to coming to the CFL this year.  But I can see the other first rounder (4th) as a Best Player Available, regardless NFL aspirations (unless he declares, like Onyemata, that he will never consider a CFL job).

There will probably be 5 or 6 new DP's in camp... plus the 3 from last draft...  and maybe an undrafted player or two, we have scored with those before.

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #24 on: March 11, 2019, 05:15:31 PM »

We still have players from the 2018 draft coming to camp this year...

Walters mentioned in an interview that Olinemen Matthew Ouellet De Carlo and Ben Koczwara will be in camp, guys that we drafted last year and sent back to school.  Firlotte is another 2018 draftee that is coming to camp this spring.  Conteh is a 2017 pick that has been in the pipe... and we have 9 DP's in this deep draft, including 4 and 5... 

Yes, we could use bodies in camp, and I see them expending a first rounder (5th) on a DL that has committed to coming to the CFL this year.  But I can see the other first rounder (4th) as a Best Player Available, regardless NFL aspirations (unless he declares, like Onyemata, that he will never consider a CFL job).

There will probably be 5 or 6 new DP's in camp... plus the 3 from last draft...  and maybe an undrafted player or two, we have scored with those before.

Aardvark -- Ouellet De Carlo was a 6th round pick. Koczwara was picked in the 8th. They were sent back to school because they weren't even ready for a development spot on last year's team. It's more likely than not they never will be. Our 4th or 5th overall pick will instantly be ahead of them on the depth chart if they report to camp this year. I'm not sure what Conteh has to do with anything. Yes, he's stuck around (more or less) and got in a few games but he's got five special teams tackles over 14 games in two years. Will he be around this year? Hard to say.
Blue In BC

« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 05:21:04 PM »

Aardvark -- Ouellet De Carlo was a 6th round pick. Koczwara was picked in the 8th. They were sent back to school because they weren't even ready for a development spot on last year's team. It's more likely than not they never will be. Our 4th or 5th overall pick will instantly be ahead of them on the depth chart if they report to camp this year. I'm not sure what Conteh has to do with anything. Yes, he's stuck around (more or less) and got in a few games but he's got five special teams tackles over 14 games in two years. Will he be around this year? Hard to say.

Exactly. Those names are players that quite likely will get bumped by 2019 draft choices. Even Speller might get bumped depending on who we draft.

A low draft choice or undrafted player like ( Speller ) might surprise but odds are against these particular players. Having bodies is necessary but high expectations for them becoming starters is not the same.

Spooner was a # 15 pick and the team didn't keep him around.

« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 05:41:45 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2019, 01:38:17 PM »

Late round picks used on players heading back to college don't always pay off, but those players, had they entered the next years draft quite possibly move up considerably.  Something Walters mentioned as their "MO"... 

Sure, they may show up at camp and get blown away by this year's higher draft picks, or they might not.  Either waythey are extra bodies in camp, competing.   Which means, with 9 picks this year, you can use a few for NFL bound players and more OLine heading back to school...  keep filling that pipe

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2019, 02:35:37 PM »

Late round picks used on players heading back to college don't always pay off, but those players, had they entered the next years draft quite possibly move up considerably.  Something Walters mentioned as their "MO"... 

Sure, they may show up at camp and get blown away by this year's higher draft picks, or they might not.  Either waythey are extra bodies in camp, competing.   Which means, with 9 picks this year, you can use a few for NFL bound players and more OLine heading back to school...  keep filling that pipe

Of course we can. We have pretty good national depth all things considered -- although some of that depth is going to be seriously tested this year, in ways it hasn't in the past couple. I just mentioned it's my guess that we're going to use pick 4 & 5 on players we can roster this season. Probably along the OL and DL like the mock draft suggested. You went into this song and dance about "pipe filling" and how special we are.
theaardvark

« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2019, 03:54:11 PM »

Of course we can. We have pretty good national depth all things considered -- although some of that depth is going to be seriously tested this year, in ways it hasn't in the past couple. I just mentioned it's my guess that we're going to use pick 4 & 5 on players we can roster this season. Probably along the OL and DL like the mock draft suggested. You went into this song and dance about "pipe filling" and how special we are.

And what I was saying is that we won't have to draft 2 "to be rostered" players at 4 and 5, we have lots of bodies for camp.  Players that have NFL aspirations drop in the draft, and players that are willing to come directly to the CFL that year go higher.  I think we should take one "less talented" but CFL committed player at 5, and the best player available at 4... I think our roster will be fine with one first rounder this year...

Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #29 on: March 12, 2019, 04:04:14 PM »

And what I was saying is that we won't have to draft 2 "to be rostered" players at 4 and 5, we have lots of bodies for camp.  Players that have NFL aspirations drop in the draft, and players that are willing to come directly to the CFL that year go higher.  I think we should take one "less talented" but CFL committed player at 5, and the best player available at 4... I think our roster will be fine with one first rounder this year...

We don't have to do anything I suppose, but my prediction is we will do that. "Lots of bodies in camp" doesn't tell me anything nor is it particularly relevant. ALL teams have "the legally allowed number of bodies" in camp. I'm not confident that a 6th or 8th round pick from last year's draft will be good enough to win a backup job on the OL this year which would make them one season-ending injury away from being a full-time CFL starter. I think we are looking to start a Canadian on the defensive line in week 1 and therefore we might be willing to take another chance at drafting a solution to that problem. We have enough holes that need to be immediately filled to take a future with pick 4 or 5, in my opinion. It made a ton of sense in previous years, but every season is different.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: