Blue Bombers Forum
July 10, 2020, 08:53:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Mock Draft  (Read 4763 times)
Ridermania

« on: March 08, 2019, 06:59:56 PM »

It's very early for this but always fun to read and get a take on some available players for the 2019 CFL Draft.

Round One
1. Toronto Argonauts - OL Kyle Saxelid, UNLV
2. Hamilton Tiger-Cats  - REC Hergy Mayala, UConn
3. Edmonton Eskimos - DL Mathieu Betts, Laval
4. Winnipeg Blue Bombers (via B.C. Lions) - OL Drew Desjarlais, Windsor
5. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - DL Connor Griffiths, UBC
6. Saskatchewan Roughriders - OL Samuel Thomassin, Laval
7. Ottawa Redblacks - OL Zach Wilkinson, Northern Colorado
8. Calgary Stampeders - OL Alex Fontana, Kansas

Round Two
9. Toronto Argonauts - REC Justin McInnis, Arkansas State
10. Hamilton Tiger-Cats (via Montreal Alouettes) - OL Shane Richards, Oklahoma State
11. Hamilton Tiger-Cats - DB Jamie Harry, Ottawa
12. Edmonton Eskimos - DB Malcolm Lee, UBC
13. Montreal Alouettes (via B.C. Lions) - DL Robbie Smith, Laurier
14. Winnipeg Blue Bombers - RB Brady Oliveira, North Dakota
15. Saskatchewan Roughriders - DL Jonathan Kongbo, Tennessee
16. Ottawa Redblacks - REC Alexandre Savard, Laval
17. Calgary Stampeders - REC Brayden Dickey, New Mexico

Round 3 and more player info can be found in the attached article.

https://3downnation.com/2019/03/08/john-hodges-2019-cfl-mock-draft-1-0/
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:06:56 PM by Ridermania » Logged
Fire101
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:14:30 PM »

Round 1 selection of OL and DL would take care of the glaring needs.
theaardvark

« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 07:22:16 PM »

Both the combine and the interviews will have more to do with draft order than these players histories up until now...  NFL interest is another big factor... many of these players are already being actively scouted by NFL teams...

But sure, its nice to have something to debate in the doldrums of March...

Although why Riderfans would be interested, with only 6 picks... Wink

The 2019 CFL Draft will take place on May 2, 2019. 71 players will be chosen from among eligible players from Canadian universities, as well as Canadian players playing in the United States on NCAA or NAIA teams.
First selection: Toronto Argonauts
Most selections: Winnipeg Blue Bombers (9); T...
Date(s): May 2, 2019
Fewest selections: Saskatchewan Roughriders (6)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:42:42 PM by theaardvark » Logged

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Pigskin

« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 07:55:11 PM »

Well right now Desjartais and Griffiths are not even in the top 20. I think if Kongbo, Bettis, or Richards are there, the bombers are scooping them up. You also mite see us package up a couple of our picks to get a little higher in the draft.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2019, 07:59:27 PM »

Haven't done much research into this year's draft class yet but it makes a lot of sense for the Bombers to draft a DL, OL with our first round picks. It's what i am expecting.
Blue In BC

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2019, 09:08:55 PM »

Depending on later draft rankings, if we really want someone like Betts, perhaps we trade up during draft day.

Edmonton already has Boateng but also several other Canadian DL. That may sway their decision to a better prospect like Betts, or may sway them more towards an OL.

Not sure what they think about that DL depth with those other Canadians. They re-signed Bond and then signed Sir V. Rogers and appear to be a 3 import OL.

So Betts might not be on their radar.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2019, 09:13:07 PM »

Depending on later draft rankings, if we really want someone like Betts, perhaps we trade up during draft day.

Edmonton already has Boateng but also several other Canadian DL. That may sway their decision to a better prospect like Betts, or may sway them more towards an OL.

Not sure what they think about that DL depth with those other Canadians. They re-signed Bond and then signed Sir V. Rogers and appear to be a 3 import OL.

So Betts might not be on their radar.

If they go 3 Int Oline, doesn't that put Betts more on their radar as a Nat spot other than Oline?  It does sound like he is the real deal, and barring getting drafted into the NFL, or signing as an undrafted FA, might be the top guy being chased this year?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2019, 09:22:46 PM »

If they go 3 Int Oline, doesn't that put Betts more on their radar as a Nat spot other than Oline?  It does sound like he is the real deal, and barring getting drafted into the NFL, or signing as an undrafted FA, might be the top guy being chased this year?

I don't know. They have Bagnall ( currently suspended ), Gill, Mackie and Marshall on their roster at the moment as Canadian DL. Mackie and Marshall are DE type players and have some experience.

So it appears they are in a better position on their DL than their OL as far as ratio and developmental players.

If Betts is as good as advertised and expected to possibly start they may not have room for that in 2019. Their imports on the DL are pretty good and include Sewell and Bazzie.

We'll see the final rankings end up and by then we'll have more idea who might be NFL bound and what their chances might be. Having consecutive 1st round picks might be an advantage this year in a good draft class.

Not that I want to get rid of Roh but a good Canadian DE that can rotate could eliminate needing to have ROH as a DI. We could 1 game IR him and alternate him in and out of game day AR for whichever import DE is a little dinged.

Just a thought. He could rise or fall in the draft or other teams may target him at # 1 -2 in the 1st round ahead of Edmonton.

Some of the other posters thought Kabongo was pretty good as well so there are a couple of Canadians that sound like good picks.

I also like the RB pick shown in the current mock draft. So we're going to get some good players one way or another.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 09:45:59 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2019, 10:25:44 PM »

Two high picks; my 2 cents I think we take the top rated guy that is probably going to the NFL ALA Gray with #5 and at #4 the best lineman whether that be offensive or defensive. My reasoning is we are decent in CDN depth, and first round picks are not cheap so taking a guy going to the NFL saves us a peso or two. My only caveat is if one of the RB's test off the charts or blows us away, I could see us bringing in more competition with Augustine in drafting a RB in the top 5.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2019, 10:44:19 PM »

@ #4 & #5

Best OL Available
and
Best Player Available
Sec223

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2019, 12:09:42 PM »

If you were guaranteed #1 would not go to the NFL would you trade 4 and 5 for him ?
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2019, 12:35:57 PM »

If you were guaranteed #1 would not go to the NFL would you trade 4 and 5 for him ?

No. Thats still 2 player vs 1. Not all players picked at #1 are good.
Somewhere I see Ekakite and JSJ talking how high they were drafted while working at Tims.
Jesse

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2019, 01:16:24 PM »

Two high picks; my 2 cents I think we take the top rated guy that is probably going to the NFL ALA Gray with #5 and at #4 the best lineman whether that be offensive or defensive. My reasoning is we are decent in CDN depth, and first round picks are not cheap so taking a guy going to the NFL saves us a peso or two. My only caveat is if one of the RB's test off the charts or blows us away, I could see us bringing in more competition with Augustine in drafting a RB in the top 5.

I really expect us to draft a RB if they show well at combine/pro days.

Walters has gone out of his way to mention guys at the RB position.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2019, 02:31:12 PM »

Can we afford 2 1st round picks if we're " stashing " some money to acquire another top free agent at a later date?

1st round picks are expensive and that was why we traded ours in 2018 and ended up with 2 in 2019.

It wouldn't be the worst idea to draft 2 players. Just saying it might not be the best idea depending on how we look at it. Drafting a player going to NFL is a bit of a risk that can work out later or never.

We have 26 Canadians on the roster at the moment, I'd say only about 4 are at any risk of not making the roster ( which includes DR, IR and PR ). I'm guessing we have about 30 on the various rosters when all is said and done.

Something like 8 draft choices available to the team.

I could see some later round picks being used for NFL bound players as their draft rankings drop.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2019, 03:16:49 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2019, 03:44:14 PM »

we got 9 this draft
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: