Blue Bombers Forum
July 03, 2020, 04:48:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Poll
Question: Are you more concerned with the two NAT OL losses or the ongoing lack of a proven #1 INT receiver?
NAT OL - 24 (53.3%)
INT WR - 19 (42.2%)
neither/other - 2 (4.4%)
Total Voters: 45

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  
Author Topic: NAT OL talent or #1 INT WR: which is more concerning?  (Read 12350 times)
GCn19

« Reply #120 on: March 12, 2019, 04:38:41 PM »

Wilson is a good football player. Not sure why so many here are slagging him. Last year he got buried behind JSK and Biggie but he can play too.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #121 on: March 12, 2019, 04:40:38 PM »

you have to all realize that earning a spot involves more than starting games...all guys have to start at zero games starting experience...and yeah..3 years in a system...on a team...meetings...taking reps in practice "learning" the play book and multiple positions, as well as earning your keep and busting your chops on the teams is yes..earning a chance.

He's not a raw rookie and played just fine in the play-offs when the games mean even more and are more intense, and to say that a player is not an option or a good plan based on games "started" is foolish at best

We all understand that but I already mentioned he hasn't been in the system for 3 years. Only 2 years.

Yes he was taking reps in practice but very few anywhere near on 1st or 2nd team defenses. He was not busting his chops on ST's since he was only on the AR for 1 game in 2017.

My opinion was not based only on the fact he's only played a few games. It was based on not being impressed by his performance in a small sample of games he did play. Based on the fact he couldn't bump Wild off the AR.

As I said he only got on the roster because JSK was injured at the end of the season. Just because a player survives being on the PR for an extended time is not a guarantee he plays well in live games.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #122 on: March 12, 2019, 04:47:52 PM »

Wilson is a good football player. Not sure why so many here are slagging him. Last year he got buried behind JSK and Biggie but he can play too.

I think that's mostly me and I'm not slagging him per se. I'm pointing out there is a very small sample of him playing to say he's a good player with any certainty.

I've pointed out why either JSK or Wild had significantly more experience and a greater probability of sliding out to MLB than Wilson as a PR guy. Wild had started previously for the Bombers at MLB. Why wouldn't you start the season doing that preferably with Wilson as a DI to gain more live game action?

I guess we're going to find out. O'Shea's regime had very little success filling the MLB spot before signing Bighill. If he ends up now starting at WIL his performance over more than a couple of games will tell us.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 04:49:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #123 on: March 12, 2019, 04:52:17 PM »

Wilson was signed in 2017 and played 1 game. So he's only going into his 3rd season if he makes the roster.

If he was the plan to start at MLB going into 2018 before we signed Bighill then it was not much of a plan IMO.

O'Shea's previous plans included Wild, Bass and Hurl at MLB. None succeeded and all had more than 1 game experience when inserted into that role.

Still waiting to see if he can produce at WIL in TC.

You forgot about Kyle Knox, in 2017 he was supposed to step into the MLB position after spending 2016 developing on the roster and showing well on ST.  For whatever reason they decided to go with Hurl instead.  Wilson is in the same boat, sink or swim.
Blue In BC

« Reply #124 on: March 12, 2019, 04:55:47 PM »

You forgot about Kyle Knox, in 2017 he was supposed to step into the MLB position after spending 2016 developing on the roster and showing well on ST.  For whatever reason they decided to go with Hurl instead.  Wilson is in the same boat, sink or swim.

Hurl was really a forced ratio necessity overall across the roster. We couldn't really adjust elsewhere and O'Shea seemed to have a love for Hurl. Being a good ST player doesn't directly lead to being a good full time starter.

I'm not suggesting Wilson should be cut. I'm just saying he's a TBD player like many across the league. He may end up starting or he may be a DI. He's earned an opportunity to compete for those roles. Like you said it's sink or swim.

Actually going into 2018 before Bighill being signed, I would have had more confidence with Hurl a MLB than I would have had in Wilson as designated heir apparent. Obviously Hurl was also an SMS issue and not a good MLB but at least he helped the ratio too. He was not offered / or didn't accept a new contract offer in Winnipeg. IMO he was not offered a new contract but I could be in error.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:14:07 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #125 on: March 12, 2019, 06:22:28 PM »

We all understand that but I already mentioned he hasn't been in the system for 3 years. Only 2 years.

Yes he was taking reps in practice but very few anywhere near on 1st or 2nd team defenses. He was not busting his chops on ST's since he was only on the AR for 1 game in 2017.

My opinion was not based only on the fact he's only played a few games. It was based on not being impressed by his performance in a small sample of games he did play. Based on the fact he couldn't bump Wild off the AR.

As I said he only got on the roster because JSK was injured at the end of the season. Just because a player survives being on the PR for an extended time is not a guarantee he plays well in live games.

I base 3 years as coming into this season, and I can attest that season 3 started for him already, working/talking with staff and diving into playbook and watching film..so yes 3 years. and he has 7 games where he has been on ST when in lineup..so if he wasn't busting his chops then he'd have been ousted out of the line-up

in games in the playoffs which mattered...he faired very well...din't get exposed, and made some impact plays...also him being bumped by Wild probably had a few factors involved...Oshea's loyalty...back up long snapper...and yeah hanging around on a PR doesn't always translate into bonafide starter, but that being said if a team sees no value/upside/or ability to step in they dont keep you
Blue In BC

« Reply #126 on: March 12, 2019, 06:34:18 PM »

I base 3 years as coming into this season, and I can attest that season 3 started for him already, working/talking with staff and diving into playbook and watching film..so yes 3 years. and he has 7 games where he has been on ST when in lineup..so if he wasn't busting his chops then he'd have been ousted out of the line-up

in games in the playoffs which mattered...he faired very well...din't get exposed, and made some impact plays...also him being bumped by Wild probably had a few factors involved...Oshea's loyalty...back up long snapper...and yeah hanging around on a PR doesn't always translate into bonafide starter, but that being said if a team sees no value/upside/or ability to step in they dont keep you

It's a stretch to include an off season as equal to a 3rd season's experience. My comments regarding game experience referred more specifically to the start of the 2018 season. It still applies that his sample size is small.

In the WDF our defense didn't get particularly exposed but we were facing an injury  in the WSF as a celebration of his success. Actually B. Bridge ran for 86 yards with a 17+ yard average. We gave up 130+ yards rushing against a team that can't throw. I would call that exposed.

TC can't start soon enough. Let the competitions begin.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:37:40 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9]
  Print  

Jump to: