Rumour: NFL Preseason game at Mosaic in Regina

Started by upp, March 04, 2019, 11:58:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Media outlets in Regina and now 3 Down Nation are reporting that there is a possible NFL Preseason game coming to Regina in August.  The teams would be the Raiders and Packers. 

Should this actually happen, I'm not sure what the response would be in Sask.  It's a pretty solid CFL fanbase.  Stay tuned I guess...

Jesse

Depending on ticket prices, I don't see why a one-off like this wouldn't be hugely successful, though you never can tell with preseason games.
My wife is amazing!

blue_gold_84

If the powers that be running Mosaic Stadium think it's a worthwhile endeavour, why not. That'd be great publicity for the stadium in Regina.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Hmmm... did we miss out on this?  Maybe get a game here too? ;) 

Have to wonder why Vancouver didn't get this...  they have a stadium to fit that crowd...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2019, 05:20:26 PM
Hmmm... did we miss out on this?  Maybe get a game here too? ;) 

Have to wonder why Vancouver didn't get this...  they have a stadium to fit that crowd...

With NHL, AHL, WHL, CFL, CPL and AAIB, Winnipeg's sports dollars are spoken for, I'd think.
#Ride?

blue_gold_84

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 05, 2019, 07:16:02 PM
With NHL, AHL, WHL, CFL, CPL and AAIB, Winnipeg's sports dollars are spoken for, I'd think.

I'd hazard a guess it's the NHL alone. I don't think we've missed out. NFL pre-season is pretty meh.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Mid summer game at IGF with the Packers?  Pretty sure it sells out in minutes, even if it is just Packers fans coming...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

blue_or_die

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2019, 08:28:33 PM
Mid summer game at IGF with the Packers?  Pretty sure it sells out in minutes, even if it is just Packers fans coming...

Yeah as a one-off you could definitely be right. Not sure there are 33k+ Packers fans in the area, though.

I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't do well if it happened here, just not something that's likely worth pursing given our sports entertainment is jam-packed and while this might work, it would dilute other sports we have that need this money.

In Sask where there's even more love for football and no other pro team, along with a really nice stadium to showcase, it makes more sense IMO.
#Ride?

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_or_die on March 05, 2019, 08:47:23 PM
Yeah as a one-off you could definitely be right. Not sure there are 33k+ Packers fans in the area, though.

I didn't mean to imply that it wouldn't do well if it happened here, just not something that's likely worth pursing given our sports entertainment is jam-packed and while this might work, it would dilute other sports we have that need this money.

In Sask where there's even more love for football and no other pro team, along with a really nice stadium to showcase, it makes more sense IMO.

I didn't mean local Packer fans, I meant from actual Green Bay... its not that bad a drive...

blue_gold_84

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2019, 08:56:51 PM
I didn't mean local Packer fans, I meant from actual Green Bay... its not that bad a drive...

I'd be all for a NFL pre-season game at IGF, but what makes you think Packers fans from WI would come all this way to watch one? I don't even think Vikings fans would make the drive from Minneapolis to see their team play in a glorified practice here in Winnipeg.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

Norlorne Dr.

I bet this would be a massive draw and would sell out extremely fast.

GCn19

Remember this is likely a game 1 or 2 NFL exhibition game where literally NO starters play. This would be a game of no name NFL hopefuls dressed in NFL uniforms and they likely will ask for 150-200 bucks a ticket for the "privilege" of watching them play. Regina makes total sense for a rip off of this calibre because they are so novelty entertainment starved that it just might work.

NFL network says there are currently 16 other cities expected to make a bid to host these games as well so Regina better back up the Brinks truck.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

GCn19

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 05, 2019, 09:22:40 PM
I'd be all for a NFL pre-season game at IGF, but what makes you think Packers fans from WI would come all this way to watch one? I don't even think Vikings fans would make the drive from Minneapolis to see their team play in a glorified practice here in Winnipeg.

The ONLY reason the exhibition road show is even being considered is because the Raiders have no place to play until well into the season due to their stadium lease problems. There is zero chance any team other than the Raiders vs ?? will be who is playing.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Jesse

Quote from: GCn18 on March 06, 2019, 01:05:11 PM
Remember this is likely a game 1 or 2 NFL exhibition game where literally NO starters play. This would be a game of no name NFL hopefuls dressed in NFL uniforms and they likely will ask for 150-200 bucks a ticket for the "privilege" of watching them play. Regina makes total sense for a rip off of this calibre because they are so novelty entertainment starved that it just might work.

NFL network says there are currently 16 other cities expected to make a bid to host these games as well so Regina better back up the Brinks truck.

Yeah, I thought it would be a huge draw until I thought of this.

Aaron Rodgers et al. wont even get on the plane, much less see the field.
My wife is amazing!

blue_or_die

On the radio they were talking about it and comparing it to when the Bills did their series in Toronto.

While getting an NFL preseason game is super cool and would do well in Sask, it's not even closely comparable to a regular season game. It's just a neat novelty.
#Ride?