Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 01:31:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kendall Calhoun  (Read 1972 times)
Blue In BC

« on: March 06, 2019, 02:38:19 PM »

His NFL draft profile mentions he has good size and footwork as an OT.

We've listed him as a DT at the moment.

I wonder whether he'll be looked at on both sides of the ball. Makes it more difficult for a rookie ( import in particular ) to switch positions and / or switching modes with less reps.

OTOH we have seen this before in the CFL in relatively recent times where players saw duty on O & D.

Could be interesting to see how he does. That versatility might get him a longer look on the PR if can at least show some promise.

Anyone have any insight about him or even whether him listed as DL is not an error on the roster?

I'm intrigued for the moment.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2019, 03:04:43 PM »

I wonder whether he'll be looked at on both sides of the ball. Makes it more difficult for a rookie ( import in particular ) to switch positions and / or switching modes with less reps.

OTOH we have seen this before in the CFL in relatively recent times where players saw duty on O & D.

Could be interesting to see how he does. That versatility might get him a longer look on the PR if can at least show some promise.

Anyone have any insight about him or even whether him listed as DL is not an error on the roster?

I'm gonna go with a typo
the paw

« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2019, 03:23:43 PM »

Almost certainly a typo.  I can't find a lick of experience on defence anywhere in this guys collegiate career, including juco.

While it is true that the CFL will sometimes flop linemen from one side of the ball to another, it is almost always from defence to the 0-line, and it is almost always a National player, where the additional development time pays off by helping ratio.  (Chris Greaves being a good example).  It's almost never done with an import player. 

Having said that, the Bombers used to have an import lineman who could take effective reps on both sides of the ball. He was a nasty bugger too, but his name is escaping me right now.  (someone else will remember).  But those guys are like hen's teeth....

grab grass 'n growl
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2019, 03:32:02 PM »

Almost certainly a typo.  I can't find a lick of experience on defence anywhere in this guys collegiate career, including juco.

While it is true that the CFL will sometimes flop linemen from one side of the ball to another, it is almost always from defence to the 0-line, and it is almost always a National player, where the additional development time pays off by helping ratio.  (Chris Greaves being a good example).  It's almost never done with an import player. 

Having said that, the Bombers used to have an import lineman who could take effective reps on both sides of the ball. He was a nasty bugger too, but his name is escaping me right now.  (someone else will remember).  But those guys are like hen's teeth....

Jake Thomas has been our emergency Oline backup... and has taken reps in that capacity...

Players are recruited to positions that they didn't normally play all the time.  Sinkfeild is a CB that plays WR in the CFL... Carter... etc...  maybe he's more suited to the other side of the one yard gap vs. playing helmet to helmet...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Stretch

« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2019, 03:40:35 PM »

Having said that, the Bombers used to have an import lineman who could take effective reps on both sides of the ball. He was a nasty bugger too, but his name is escaping me right now.  (someone else will remember). 

Eric Wilson?

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
the paw

« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2019, 03:51:12 PM »

Eric Wilson?

That's the guy....

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2019, 07:39:49 PM »

Dyson was another one IIRC.  A typo could be a valid point.

Could also mention Sellers. He played defense in Edmonton on DL and LB.

John Jefferson played WR, CB and returner.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2019, 07:41:50 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
the paw

« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2019, 07:46:25 PM »

Dyson was another one IIRC.  A typo could be a valid point.

Could also mention Sellers. He played defense in Edmonton on DL and LB.

John Jefferson played WR, CB and returner.

Lots of two way guys in general, but I'm restricting my comments to 0-line and D-line.  I don't specifically remember Dyson playing defence during his sole season with the Bombers, but he did register a single defensive tackle, so I guess he technically qualifies.  Most of his notoriety was from his extreme dirtiness rather than his versatility though....

grab grass 'n growl
booch

« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2019, 09:46:43 PM »

Dyson was an O-lineman only..played no defense...and was a dirty mean bugger...his defensive tackle was on a fumble or interception
Nic16

« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2019, 04:12:31 PM »

https://www.cfl.ca/players/quinn-smith/160593/
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: