Blue Bombers Forum
July 06, 2020, 03:57:32 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: 2020, 2021 Grey Cup host cities announced  (Read 3318 times)
trapper

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2019, 04:29:54 PM »

Which is awesome. I still can't believe Winnipeg has neither. What a joke.

Lead the country in DUIs and something had to be done...
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2019, 04:30:49 PM »

Agreed on the five-year thing. But Calgary is hosting this year, so I'm not sure if it's really incentive. Although, this could be the last time it hosts a championship game at McMahon Stadium... Or it should be, anyway.

Which is awesome. I still can't believe Winnipeg has neither. What a joke.

While we don't have Uber or Lyft, we have and have had ridesharing in Winnipeg since last March. I use TappCar all the time. As someone who used to live in a city that has had Uber since it first became a thing, I can say that it's almost the same. Service (i.e. wait times) aren't quite as good, but I would attribute that to the small size of the city compared to big urban areas that have piles and piles of drivers.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2019, 04:37:07 PM »

While we don't have Uber or Lyft, we have and have had ridesharing in Winnipeg since last March. I use TappCar all the time. As someone who used to live in a city that has had Uber since it first became a thing, I can say that it's almost the same. Service (i.e. wait times) aren't quite as good, but I would attribute that to the small size of the city compared to big urban areas that have piles and piles of drivers.

I've used TappCar a handful of times and the wait times were brutal every time. I used Uber in Ottawa back in 2017 and it was punctual on every occasion. I'm not sure how much size plays a role but Ottawa isn't much bigger than Winnipeg.

In any case, the ridesharing thing is nice but it's been handcuffed in Winnipeg and that's really disappointing. Especially when you consider smaller cities (Regina, Saskatoon) are better off in that regard.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Colton

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 04:45:32 PM »

I've used TappCar a handful of times and the wait times were brutal every time. I used Uber in Ottawa back in 2017 and it was punctual on every occasion. I'm not sure how much size plays a role but Ottawa isn't much bigger than Winnipeg.

In any case, the ridesharing thing is nice but it's been handcuffed in Winnipeg and that's really disappointing. Especially when you consider smaller cities (Regina, Saskatoon) are better off in that regard.

I've had a much better experience with TappCar than I have with Uber. Haven't had a wait time over 5 minutes either.
blue_or_die

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2019, 08:00:27 PM »

Having more options is definitely preferred and I'm not a fan of how MPI got to essentially kybosh Uber and Lyft. In any case, it sounds like your experiences with Tapp may have been bad luck. Sometimes availability just isn't there (as Colton alluded to). It's probably not as mature as Uber in Ottawa. It takes a while for the culture to develop in the city, creating demand for more drivers.

It remains to be seen how smaller cities like Regina and Saskatoon adopt ridesharing and how good the service is. I believe it has only been legal there for a few weeks. Have they officially launched, even?

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskatoon/uber-lyft-saskatoon-taxi-1.4949784 (last several paragraphs)

https://regina.ctvnews.ca/ridesharing-could-be-coming-to-regina-early-next-year-1.4222936

bluengold204

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2019, 08:33:51 PM »

I've used TappCar a bunch of times too and found in my experience that it depends where in the city you are getting picked up at.  Downtown the wait times were minimum for me, however getting a car in transcona where I live the wait times seemed longer.  I'm assuming because more drivers are circulating downtown than on the edges of the city.

What I don't like are the extra fees associated with TappCar ($3 tech fee, demand surcharge) can't remember if Uber had these but that is what turns me off from TappCar vs ordering a regular cab anyways.
Colton

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2019, 09:13:46 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what areas of Ottawa where you using Uber? Where you typically in and around the airport/downtown equivalent areas? I feel like some people go to bigger cities and use Uber/Lyft in downtown/heavily populated areas, and then come home and are disappointed that TappCar doesn't have the same wait times in suburban areas.
blue_or_die

« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2019, 09:18:07 PM »

Just out of curiosity, what areas of Ottawa where you using Uber? Where you typically in and around the airport/downtown equivalent areas? I feel like some people go to bigger cities and use Uber/Lyft in downtown/heavily populated areas, and then come home and are disappointed that TappCar doesn't have the same wait times in suburban areas.

Yeah that's kind of what I was getting at with the supply and demand comments. When you travel, you usually hang out in the cool areas of a big city which are often downtown or heavily populated. Going to be easier to get one there than deep Tcona lol

Colton

« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2019, 09:39:59 PM »

I've used TappCar a bunch of times too and found in my experience that it depends where in the city you are getting picked up at.  Downtown the wait times were minimum for me, however getting a car in transcona where I live the wait times seemed longer.  I'm assuming because more drivers are circulating downtown than on the edges of the city.

What I don't like are the extra fees associated with TappCar ($3 tech fee, demand surcharge) can't remember if Uber had these but that is what turns me off from TappCar vs ordering a regular cab anyways.

Uber is definitely still charging you those fees, it's just less transparent in my opinion. Grabbing three random trips from each I've taken recently:

Uber:
13:42 trip time, 3.86 miles, $13.76USD
9:37 trip time, 1.27 miles, $8.14USD
13:52 trip time, 3.69 kilometers, $14.48CAD

TappCar:
10:00 trip time, 1.60 kilometers, $6.43CAD
14:00 trip time, 2.60 kilometers, $9.10CAD
32:00 trip time, 8.20 kilometers, $17.17CAD
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2019, 09:45:25 PM »

I was staying in downtown Ottawa when I used Uber*. As for TappCar, I've attempted to use it where I live (NK/River East) and also downtown back in Winnipeg. The wait times were excessive in either case when compared to hailing a taxi.

Obviously, neither is a big sample and my experience is anecdotal at best. I found Uber to be more efficient, though. Both beat taking a crummy taxi.

* - I should note it was for the Grey Cup that year

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2019, 10:52:26 PM »

I will go back to the crotch if the BB are in it. Sleep at someone?s sugar shack.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
Ridermania

« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2019, 05:38:41 PM »

I will have my little sugar shack outback all ready for you!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2019, 06:13:19 PM »

I will have my little sugar shack outback all ready for you!

Went to the last Rider Grey cup and lucky enough to have a room reserved though one of my clients. Not so lucky this time. However I was thinking about Moose Jaw or maybe Weyburn. I have actually stayed in Weyburn before. Not all that long of a drive to Regina. Will try for a Regina hotel first, Moosejaw second and Weyburn third choice.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #28 on: February 23, 2019, 06:23:51 PM »

Went to the last Rider Grey cup and lucky enough to have a room reserved though one of my clients. Not so lucky this time. However I was thinking about Moose Jaw or maybe Weyburn. I have actually stayed in Weyburn before. Not all that long of a drive to Regina. Will try for a Regina hotel first, Moosejaw second and Weyburn third choice.

weyburn? Sounds to much of an inconvenience to consider going.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »

weyburn? Sounds to much of an inconvenience to consider going.
The last time I stayed at the Weyburn Inn (which is no longer there) I had the best Prime Rib I probably have ever had. In any event I am thinking Moosjaw (and normally stay at The Temple Gardens) will make sure I book well in advance.
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: