Blue Bombers Forum
July 04, 2020, 09:30:23 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look At The Receiving Corps - Ed Tait  (Read 16776 times)
Jesse

« Reply #165 on: March 15, 2019, 02:49:53 PM »

I think the biggest factor in not signing JSK was the injury factor.  He couldn't work out for NFL teams, so he couldn't work out for us.  Pretty sure there isn't a team that had a better idea of his current recovery status and long term prognosis than we did.  When you sign a player coming off injury and have no full speed snaps to judge him on, do you pay top end of the range?  I don't think so...

I don't think that was relevant.

My wife is amazing!
booch

« Reply #166 on: March 15, 2019, 02:54:16 PM »

plain and simple...the powers that be here decide a value on that position, and were comfortable going a different direction if JSK didn't agree with them and that they could fill it just as good or better at their allotted value..or less...and I agree with that mindset, and the ability to fill it..WIL..much like wide side corner back here are easiest defensive positions to fill..
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #167 on: March 15, 2019, 03:34:26 PM »

I still think it was a mistake to let him walk. He and Bighill were awesome together last season.

Maybe this is the year we do that. The door is open and it should be a free competition in TC. In theory at least.

I have some fear that O'Shea will stick with one of the PR players from 2018 regardless of what TC and pre season show.

That seems like an irrational fear to me. I suppose time will tell, though.

I think the biggest factor in not signing JSK was the injury factor.  He couldn't work out for NFL teams, so he couldn't work out for us.  Pretty sure there isn't a team that had a better idea of his current recovery status and long term prognosis than we did.  When you sign a player coming off injury and have no full speed snaps to judge him on, do you pay top end of the range?  I don't think so...

What a ridiculous - and ignorant - comment to make.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
GCn19

« Reply #168 on: March 15, 2019, 03:40:34 PM »

We let JSK go because we gave Bighill a hefty raise, JSK was looking for a big raise, we had Kyrie Wilson who is almost as good, and because WIL is one of the easier defensive positions to recruit. Simple as that. When you have a guy like Biggie who is exceptional sideline to sideline you can make WIL a SMS position.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
theaardvark

« Reply #169 on: March 15, 2019, 03:42:54 PM »

What are you talking about? The severity of injury notwithstanding, he literally couldn't work out for us because the CBA doesn't allow you to work out players under contract after the season. He was signed on opening Free Agency day and I'm sure he wasn't sitting in Edmonton waiting to work out for them either. I agree that we had a good idea of his value because he played the year here, but it doesn't detract from the fact that he signed a contract well within the realm of what a player of his caliber is likely worth.

He signed with a team who intends to play him at MLB, not WIL, a position which in most rosters' budgets is a lot higher.  Yes, I agree.  That notwithstanding, are you saying that his injury was of absolutely no concern for any team considering signing him?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #170 on: March 15, 2019, 03:57:06 PM »

We let JSK go because we gave Bighill a hefty raise, JSK was looking for a big raise, we had Kyrie Wilson who is almost as good, and because WIL is one of the easier defensive positions to recruit. Simple as that. When you have a guy like Biggie who is exceptional sideline to sideline you can make WIL a SMS position.

While I agree Bighill's presence is more significant, what leads you to believe Wilson is "almost as good" as Santos-Knox? Is there even a sample size?

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
booch

« Reply #171 on: March 15, 2019, 04:00:16 PM »

not a big one no...but the defense performed just as goo as with JSK when we replaced him...and again, you can't discount the fact that Biggie is going to take focus away from whomever is at Will to allow them to make plays, even more so now with the Jeff's coming off the edges now...probably freeing up even more space for our WILL to make plays..
the paw

« Reply #172 on: March 15, 2019, 04:12:47 PM »

He signed with a team who intends to play him at MLB, not WIL, a position which in most rosters' budgets is a lot higher.  Yes, I agree.  That notwithstanding, are you saying that his injury was of absolutely no concern for any team considering signing him?

Are you just making stuff up again?  The Esks have Tank Reed and Larry Dean, both experienced MLB's on the roster.  What makes you think the Esks are planning on playing Santos-Knox out of position at MLB, when they have signed these two guys?  Especially Dean, who was #25 of the top free agents and a divisional all-star. 

grab grass 'n growl
dd

« Reply #173 on: March 15, 2019, 04:17:48 PM »

not a big one no...but the defense performed just as goo as with JSK when we replaced him...and again, you can't discount the fact that Biggie is going to take focus away from whomever is at Will to allow them to make plays, even more so now with the Jeff's coming off the edges now...probably freeing up even more space for our WILL to make plays..
JSK's most effective play last year, was when we blitzed both Biggie and JSK, and the defense always picked up Biggie and JSK came free.....same thing will happen this year with whomever we put in, and yes, the defense performed just as well with JSK out of the lineup as when he was in. He was a high energy, positive player, but him moving on is the least of our concerns, it is literally a non issue.
Blue In BC

« Reply #174 on: March 15, 2019, 04:25:22 PM »

I still think it was a mistake to let him walk. He and Bighill were awesome together last season.

That seems like an irrational fear to me. I suppose time will tell, though.

What a ridiculous - and ignorant - comment to make.

I dunno. It's seemed in the past that's the way O'Shea operates. He makes decisions before TC. For example Hurl was going to be the starting MLB regardless of what we saw in TC going into 2017. At the beginning of 2016 we had Victor Harris starting at safety before his injury and Loffler starting.

Others argued that TC would be an open competition while I argued the " fix " was in.

I said that before TC each season that's what I expected we'd see happening as far as winning the starters role before TC started.

For 2019 ( barring injuries ) I expect Wilson will start at WIL. I expect 1 or more of Washington, Nelson or Lawler will start at receiver. I doubt we'll see a rookie CFL'er starting at the beginning of the season.

Arguments will be made that they've earned the right to start because they've been here and know the playbook. Blah, blah, blah.

We'll probably have a rookie import DT starting and maybe a DI or 2 at DB and LB since we don't have any carryover's from 2018 PR. Maybe Humes is a DI at DB.

So as you said, we'll see. Of course we may sign some CFL veterans that may change these thoughts. However that's what I'm expecting to see. Pure rookies will be put on PR to start the season.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 05:13:18 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #175 on: March 15, 2019, 05:49:53 PM »

While I agree Bighill's presence is more significant, what leads you to believe Wilson is "almost as good" as Santos-Knox? Is there even a sample size?

He looked pretty good in the playoffs last year for us. Certainly not out of place at all. I was pleasantly surprised how effective he was after riding the pine for so long. Our defence didn't miss a beat with him in the lineup. Sure he has to prove he is consistent but imo he has demonstrated that he can certainly be a good WIL if he wins the job.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Blue In BC

« Reply #176 on: March 15, 2019, 05:55:17 PM »

He looked pretty good in the playoffs last year for us. Certainly not out of place at all. I was pleasantly surprised how effective he was after riding the pine for so long. Our defence didn't miss a beat with him in the lineup. Sure he has to prove he is consistent but imo he has demonstrated that he can certainly be a good WIL if he wins the job.

The problem with that is that the Riders have no offense and the Stamps had many injuries on offense. That has to be taken into account when assessing the sum or individual performances on defense during the playoffs.

What I saw was him in chase mode too often.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #177 on: March 15, 2019, 06:04:11 PM »

The problem with that is that the Riders have no offense and the Stamps had many injuries on offense. That has to be taken into account when assessing the sum or individual performances on defense during the playoffs.

What I saw was him in chase mode too often.
On the flip then if he was so weak...should the Riders' perhaps not been able to exploit that?...or the defense look weaker?
Also CGY had BLM..starting RB Jackson..Mathews..Rogers..Ambles..Durant...hardly a crappy offence and a poor excuse to say a player played well...especially in play-offs...that crappy offense seemed to do just fine dispatching Ottawa..for more points against.

I recall seeing JSK in chase mode a lot too during the season...does that mean he was inferior?
Wilson never got exposed..had a sack...several pressures...big tackle for a loss...was solid on ST's...
Blue In BC

« Reply #178 on: March 15, 2019, 06:10:43 PM »

On the flip then if he was so weak...should the Riders' perhaps not been able to exploit that?...or the defense look weaker?
Also CGY had BLM..starting RB Jackson..Mathews..Rogers..Ambles..Durant...hardly a crappy offence and a poor excuse to say a player played well...especially in play-offs...that crappy offense seemed to do just fine dispatching Ottawa..for more points against.

I recall seeing JSK in chase mode a lot too during the season...does that mean he was inferior?
Wilson never got exposed..had a sack...several pressures...big tackle for a loss...was solid on ST's...

IMO the Riders did exploit Wilson They ran against us. The Stamps did not have all their best players available. That's a fact.

JSK and even Bighill were in chase mode at times. It's the nature of football. OTOH, they consistently made big plays during every game. That's not what I saw from Wilson. Not during the regular season games and not during the playoffs. He was MEH.

The " good " stats you mentioned were against the Riders with an inept combination of QB's. Against the Stamps he had 1 DT and 1 ST.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:14:02 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #179 on: March 15, 2019, 06:14:27 PM »

IMO the Riders did exploit Wilson. The Stamps did not have all their best players available. That's a fact.

JSK and even Bighill were in chase mode at times. It's the nature of football. OTOH, they consistently made big plays during every game. That's not what I saw from Wilson. Not during the regular season games and not during the playoffs. He was MEH.
What did the Riders do to exploit? Bridge running around on broken plays was their only real offense...hardly exploitation and not having all the best weapons..didn't seem to effect them...all year pretty much

Pretty hard to see meh play from Wilson during the regular season when he never started any games and basically played special teams in the 5 games he dressed...and none past game 6
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 06:18:02 PM by booch » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 10 11 [12] 13
  Print  

Jump to: