Blue Bombers Forum
August 10, 2020, 02:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look At The Receiving Corps - Ed Tait  (Read 17458 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #150 on: March 14, 2019, 05:14:46 PM »

If those numbers and circumstances are true then that's a pretty bad call. Who reported that?

I believe he signed in Edmonton for $140,000, which is a reasonable payment for a player of his calibre.
Blue In BC

« Reply #151 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:08 PM »

175k is an absolute bargain for a player of Bighill's impact level. You will never in a 1000 years convince me there was no other team in this league willing to pay a MLBer of his calibre in that neighborhood last year. We might have been the highest bidder but it wouldn't have been by much. He instantly represented a HUGE upgrade for many teams at a low price for his talent level. Just because a team already has a MLBer under contract doesn't mean they are not willing to upgrade if the price is right....and with Bighill the price was right. The only teams who should have been out on him are BC, Calgary, and Montreal. To every other team he is a huge and affordable upgrade.

Singleton, Elimimian and Muamba going into 2018 were in the same calibre as Bighill. Two of those MLB's had the advantage of being ratio advantages. Singleton and Muamba had as good or better seasonal stats.

Even if you feel Bighill was better, those 3 teams were unlikely to be in hot pursuit of Bighill.

$175K might have been a bargain per se but that still doesn't mean teams had a need for any LB that was greater than needs elsewhere on their roster as it related to SMS.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:37:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Jesse

« Reply #152 on: March 14, 2019, 05:22:27 PM »

I believe he signed in Edmonton for $140,000, which is a reasonable payment for a player of his calibre.

But with what we're paying Bighill, we probably have a tight budget on the remaining LB's.

JSK is playing on a reasonable contract for a player of his calibre, but we need someone cheap.

My wife is amazing!
Blue In BC

« Reply #153 on: March 14, 2019, 05:29:05 PM »

But with what we're paying Bighill, we probably have a tight budget on the remaining LB's.

JSK is playing on a reasonable contract for a player of his calibre, but we need someone cheap.

IMO it wasn't really a matter of not having SMS for JSK. It was deciding that from a position point of view it was more than should be paid. I would argue that it was too much to pay JSK IMO.

It's been discussed at length that WIL should be one of the easier positions to fill on defense. Financially we could have paid more to retain JSK and not spent money to get Jefferson.

Money question aside, which of those two players would you rather have if you can only have one? I'm taking Jefferson as going to have more impact.

No doubt I would have liked to keep JSK as well. OTOH we were balancing our needs across several roster positions and how to best spend SMS.

We may have money left in our SMS which may allow us to sign a top receiver returning from the NFL. Of course that's a gamble. Can we fill our WIL with the next JSK for ELC or close and will we spend the SMS on a top player elsewhere?

Don't know the answer to either question today.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 05:39:29 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #154 on: March 14, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »

I think that a lot of people are viewing JSK with blue goggles on. He is a good player but certainly not to the point of being indispensable.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #155 on: March 14, 2019, 06:37:50 PM »

Singleton, Elimimian and Muamba going into 2018 were in the same calibre as Bighill. Two of those MLB's had the advantage of being ratio advantages. Singleton and Muamba had as good or better seasonal stats.

Even if you feel Bighill was better, those 3 teams were unlikely to be in hot pursuit of Bighill.

$175K might have been a bargain per se but that still doesn't mean teams had a need for any LB that was greater than needs elsewhere on their roster as it related to SMS.

I agree 3 teams were not in the hunt for Bighill. Like I said, there were likely 5 teams inquiring on him including us and if they weren't they are idiots especially at 175k.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Jockitch

« Reply #156 on: March 14, 2019, 07:04:15 PM »

From last years TC ..... I remember Myles White looking great & thought of him as a perfect replacement for Dressler.
See that the 28 yr. old is now a FA, after 14 catches with the Argos over 7 games ......... minimal cost for another look.

BOMBERS ARE GREY CUP BOUND

HUSTLE & MUSCLE IN "19"
booch

« Reply #157 on: March 14, 2019, 07:29:47 PM »

JSK though showing to be pretty good, I don't think warranted a 140k salary yet...most teams have a number for the starting linebacking unit...db's etc that they want to work within so factor in Biggies contract..possibly Fenner at SAM at just over 110k..or Gaitor at a bit less, then JSK 's wants based over budget didn't work for us so you cut bait.

Let's see how he fares in Edmonton without Biggie patrolling with him before we say it was a major gaff not paying him. When you look at what the defense did in his absence when he got hurt, they performed just as good or better than they had all year, didn't miss a beat and that was with Biggie playing hurt too...so was that the Bighill factor making JSK look really good and reaping benefits of it..and same with Wilson/Wild as replacements, or was it the replacements were just as good/adequate at a lesser $$ value?

I think it's a combination of both to be honest and we will not even notice a difference really. I also think that Fenner was not 100 percent most of year and will be back to his 2017 form where it was argued that he was the best SAM in the league. He offers a bit more physicality and size than Gaitor and is 2 years younger, tho either or are a nice option

If things stand as they are now and we start with a unit of Wilson..Biggie and Gaitor/Fenner rotating in I won't lose any sleep over that.
Blue In BC

« Reply #158 on: March 14, 2019, 08:00:44 PM »

I agree 3 teams were not in the hunt for Bighill. Like I said, there were likely 5 teams inquiring on him including us and if they weren't they are idiots especially at 175k.

We're going to agree to disagree. I'm glad he ended up in Wpg but need and timing were big factors in our favor.

No more excuses.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #159 on: March 14, 2019, 08:14:46 PM »

From last years TC ..... I remember Myles White looking great & thought of him as a perfect replacement for Dressler.
See that the 28 yr. old is now a FA, after 14 catches with the Argos over 7 games ......... minimal cost for another look.

I'd like to think the organization could do better than a retread.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. And you apparently can't quarantine, it either.
Blue In BC

« Reply #160 on: March 14, 2019, 09:47:03 PM »

I'd like to think the organization could do better than a retread.

Maybe this is the year we do that. The door is open and it should be a free competition in TC. In theory at least.

I have some fear that O'Shea will stick with one of the PR players from 2018 regardless of what TC and pre season show.

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #161 on: March 14, 2019, 11:00:42 PM »

I'll say Singleton is the same calibre as Biggie or visa versa, but Muamba, no. Yes, his tackle numbers were up there, but that's because he played on a very crappy team whose defense was on the field 3/4 of the game.
Blue In BC

« Reply #162 on: March 15, 2019, 02:12:22 PM »

I'll say Singleton is the same calibre as Biggie or visa versa, but Muamba, no. Yes, his tackle numbers were up there, but that's because he played on a very crappy team whose defense was on the field 3/4 of the game.

Muamba still had the advantage of ratio implication. IMO some posters are still annoyed about his attitude and as such want to diss his actual performance. In any case the Als didn't need a MLB.

While Sherritt and Woods weren't at the same level of the 3 I mentioned it didn't appear they would be in the hunt for a MLB.

IMO the Riders and Redblacks would have been the only other team besides the Bombers in the the real hunt for Bighill when he came available.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #163 on: March 15, 2019, 02:14:45 PM »

I think the biggest factor in not signing JSK was the injury factor.  He couldn't work out for NFL teams, so he couldn't work out for us.  Pretty sure there isn't a team that had a better idea of his current recovery status and long term prognosis than we did.  When you sign a player coming off injury and have no full speed snaps to judge him on, do you pay top end of the range?  I don't think so...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #164 on: March 15, 2019, 02:44:55 PM »

I think the biggest factor in not signing JSK was the injury factor.  He couldn't work out for NFL teams, so he couldn't work out for us.  Pretty sure there isn't a team that had a better idea of his current recovery status and long term prognosis than we did.  When you sign a player coming off injury and have no full speed snaps to judge him on, do you pay top end of the range?  I don't think so...

What are you talking about? The severity of injury notwithstanding, he literally couldn't work out for us because the CBA doesn't allow you to work out players under contract after the season. He was signed on opening Free Agency day and I'm sure he wasn't sitting in Edmonton waiting to work out for them either. I agree that we had a good idea of his value because he played the year here, but it doesn't detract from the fact that he signed a contract well within the realm of what a player of his caliber is likely worth.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13
  Print  

Jump to: