Blue Bombers Forum
September 22, 2020, 10:25:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look At The Receiving Corps - Ed Tait  (Read 19069 times)
GCn19

« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2019, 02:24:39 PM »

yes....but really it's true...when you run basically a static receiving game, it gets pretty predictable and easy to defend, and also near immpossible to groom a burner...maybe thats why some receivers chose elsewhere too...wouldn't surprise me

We led the league in passing plays over 30 yards in 2016 and 2017. Last year we were 3rd.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
booch

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2019, 02:45:56 PM »

I kn ow...which is shocking to say the least....and i put a lot of that though on the individual effort of guys like Adams who on some of those plays had sick effort to gain those yards...as a lot of them were a result of a 10-15 yard pass that the receiver busted into a big play on sheer effort....now imagine if we ran an offence where we had designed deep shots with multiple guys a play???
Ridermania

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2019, 02:51:06 PM »

I believe Dressler will sign with only the Bombers or Riders.

See him getting around $90K including bonus money.

He won't move far away for his last season.
3rdand1.5

« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2019, 02:58:33 PM »

He may be a "injury" call up for one of our teams, sorta how Denmark was.
blue_or_die

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2019, 02:58:39 PM »

I think you're right, although 90k seems ridiculously low. 120 I think is more reasonable but it depends what the market is like.

107th Grey Cup champs and WE ARE LIT
ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2019, 02:58:52 PM »

If the last few years are any indication, I wouldn't hold my breath on that. The team needs a proven #1 receiver - sooner than later.

Adams was an Argonauts' find. He signed here as a FA in 2015.
Edwards was also an Argonauts' find. He signed here as a FA in 2007.

Correct but my post was in response to another poster's claim we have found "nobody" since Milt Stegall.  Making stuff up doesn't help discussions.

And my apologies for misspelling Darvin Adams name.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2019, 03:03:00 PM »

I think the concern is what this current regime has done for import receivers. Full credit for some of the magic KW has performed in the draft, free agencies, etc. over the past 5 years, but this is a glaring area of weakness. We all know that the CFL needs ELC players to come in and play out of their mind for a few years in order for a team to be good, and at a position like receiver where most of your points are scored, to not have that hurts. We need to improve here.

ModAdmin
Administrator

Blue Bombers and Fans

« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2019, 03:10:30 PM »

No question about that.  The fact we went hard after top tier free agent receivers this year underlines that.  It has to be a priority.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
blue_or_die

« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2019, 03:12:52 PM »

No question about that.  The fact we went hard after top tier free agent receivers this year underlines that.  It has to be a priority.

Agreed that a stellar FA receiver would be huge (and necessary), but in addition to that we will need someone who is almost as good and much cheaper. That's where the scouting needs to step up.

blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2019, 03:58:37 PM »

Except it's not four. Adams was an Argo find and Edwards was an Alouette find.

Matthews and Denmark were Joe Mack finds.

Both were found by the Argos, actually. Edwards never dressed for them and wound up in Montreal after the Argonauts released him the same season, though.

Needless to say, the current regime's inability to unearth INT talent at the receiver position is a seriously glaring deficiency.

EDIT: whoops!
« Last Edit: February 20, 2019, 04:48:14 PM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Still can't fix stupid. Can't quarantine it, either.
kkc60

« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2019, 04:17:05 PM »

Both were found by the Argos, actually. Edwards never dressed for them and wound up in Montreal after the Argonauts released him the same season, though.

Needless to say, the current regime's inability to unearth NAT talent at the receiver position is a seriously glaring deficiency.
Nat talent at receiver looks fine...its int that isn't. Which is funny considering its normally the opposite
theaardvark

« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2019, 04:18:25 PM »

Needless to say, the current regime's inability to unearth NAT talent at the receiver position is a seriously glaring deficiency.

I think you mean INT.

Scouts bring in players.  Their sources are burger flippin joints, pickup games in high school feilds, NCAA games/tape, NFL roster cuts, and yes, CFL roster cuts.  If you pick up Darvin Adams after Tor deems him not worthy of keeping / protecting, and he turns out to be a gooder, that is no less an achievement than recruiting a guy 2 years out of football and having him come in and compete.  You need to use your resources... ALL your resources...  to find players.  I get it that if you sign a proven CFL player in FA, thats not really on the scouts.  But picking someone off their PR or after they cut them, that's still scouting.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2019, 04:53:44 PM »

Yes, I did mean INT. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing out my error.

Other teams have managed to unearth talented receivers in the last six years since this regime took over. There's no reason this team can't, regardless of whatever silly spin or excuse you want to make.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
theaardvark

« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2019, 05:07:22 PM »

Yes, I did mean INT. Sorry for the confusion and thanks for pointing out my error.

Other teams have managed to unearth talented receivers in the last six years since this regime took over. There's no reason this team can't, regardless of whatever silly spin or excuse you want to make.

Fact is, every recruit is a crap shoot, a coin flip.  We've been losing those flips at WR, but nailing them at DB, DE, etc... Eventually the law of averages will get us a quality receiver...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

GC107 Champions!

« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2019, 05:33:34 PM »

Fact is, every recruit is a crap shoot, a coin flip.  We've been losing those flips at WR, but nailing them at DB, DE, etc... Eventually the law of averages will get us a quality receiver...

And now deflection. Weird how other teams have been able to find all of the above. I guess only the Bombers are subject to the "law of averages" as far INT recruiting goes.

#forthew
#gotthew

No drought about it.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 13
  Print  

Jump to: