Blue Bombers Forum
September 23, 2020, 08:43:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  
Author Topic: A Look At The Receiving Corps - Ed Tait  (Read 19125 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #135 on: March 12, 2019, 04:54:35 PM »

Bighill's first choice was likely BC. They didn't have either the money or the need at MLB. If they did, we likely don't even get a chance to bid. We had the biggest need and money to spare. I doubt there were 4 other teams that had both.

Durant's salary off the SMS was huge. Without it, we wouldn't have had the SMS room available to pay Bighill what he was worth.

Not sure BC couldn't make room, but pretty sure team 100 puts Bighill at WIL... so while family makes BC #1 option, not sure he wanted to be WIL...

Bighill mentioned respect for O'Shea repeatedly, and wanting to play for him.  There is no doubt WPG was far ahead of BC in "power rankings" when he signed here.  Especially with his addition.

Landing him WAS good GM'ing.  Keeping him here was even better...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #136 on: March 12, 2019, 05:16:15 PM »

Not sure BC couldn't make room, but pretty sure team 100 puts Bighill at WIL... so while family makes BC #1 option, not sure he wanted to be WIL...

Bighill mentioned respect for O'Shea repeatedly, and wanting to play for him.  There is no doubt WPG was far ahead of BC in "power rankings" when he signed here.  Especially with his addition.

Landing him WAS good GM'ing.  Keeping him here was even better...

That and WIL is not where you spend $175K. So even if BC had SMS room ( doubtful ) it was not a practical fit at that point in time.

Ditto for Calgary with Singleton, Montreal with Muamba etc

So if Durel Williams become available this May 19 he may get many inquires. However how many teams will have $25OK+ SMS available and / or the need for a receiver with his talent?

Obviously he'd be an upgrade on any team over some other receiver on an AR. That doesn't mean he gets 9 offers either.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:18:37 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #137 on: March 12, 2019, 05:30:00 PM »

People keep saying that, but the only way to make room is to cut players who are making above the league minimum. Wild? Leggett? Who else comes to mind?

A lot come to mind actually. Okpalaugo alone would have paid for Bighill. Had Durant not retired he too could have been a likely candidate. Other teams would make room by cutting their current MLB and maybe another vet. To get an Adam Bighill, there are plenty of vets around the league that could have been cleared out to make room.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:33:59 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
GCn19

« Reply #138 on: March 12, 2019, 05:31:05 PM »

If that happens in February that's probably true. When it happens just before the beginning of TC on May 19, it's beyond likely. Then SMS and actual need at MLB come into play.

SMS is not counted until the end of the season. Lots of ways for GMs to create SMS room for the right player.

Blue In BC

« Reply #139 on: March 12, 2019, 06:41:04 PM »

SMS is not counted until the end of the season. Lots of ways for GMs to create SMS room for the right player.

That's obvious but the budget and plan are projected.  The right player depends on a teams needs and you're over valuing the needs for a MLB cross the CFL at that point in time.

You think the Stamps were going to cut Singleton? Lions cut Elimimian to add Bighill going into TC? It didn't happen and was never going to happen.

Which CFL do you think made a significant effort and contract offer to get Bighill? Which team had a big need at MLB besides Winnipeg?

Don't you think JSK was the right player for Winnipeg? Even a very talented player needs to fit into both the need and the SMS.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 06:45:41 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2019, 06:55:23 PM »

A lot come to mind actually. Okpalaugo alone would have paid for Bighill. Had Durant not retired he too could have been a likely candidate. Other teams would make room by cutting their current MLB and maybe another vet. To get an Adam Bighill, there are plenty of vets around the league that could have been cleared out to make room.
If Durant didn't retire I highly doubt he would have gotten cut. MOS loves his vets
TBURGESS

« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2019, 07:24:00 PM »

If Durant didn't retire I highly doubt he would have gotten cut. MOS loves his vets
I can't imagine us cutting Durant last year. The plan was to go into the season with an experienced backup. Once Nichols went down, Durant would have become the starter, not a guy we'd be interested in cutting.

Assuming Durant didn't quit and that the vet players already had been paid their bonus money, then we would have had to get rid of 2 or 3 of them to make up for Bighill's salary. 20-20 hindsight tells us that it would have been worth it, but I'm not sure that Walters/MOS would have agreed at the time.

Winnipeg Blue Bombers - 2019 Grey Cup Champs.
GCn19

« Reply #142 on: March 14, 2019, 10:38:59 AM »

I can't imagine us cutting Durant last year. The plan was to go into the season with an experienced backup. Once Nichols went down, Durant would have become the starter, not a guy we'd be interested in cutting.

Assuming Durant didn't quit and that the vet players already had been paid their bonus money, then we would have had to get rid of 2 or 3 of them to make up for Bighill's salary. 20-20 hindsight tells us that it would have been worth it, but I'm not sure that Walters/MOS would have agreed at the time.

I think we would have signed Bighill at 175k no matter what. Remember, we were pursuing Henoc before Durant flaked out.

GCn19

« Reply #143 on: March 14, 2019, 10:41:27 AM »

Bighill himself said he had fielded offers from multiple teams before deciding on Winnipeg.

Blue In BC

« Reply #144 on: March 14, 2019, 02:38:58 PM »

Bighill himself said he had fielded offers from multiple teams before deciding on Winnipeg.

What would you expect him to say?  Offers and being competitive are different issues. I have no doubt that the culture in Winnipeg was a factor but it's never going to be the only one.

Ask Loffler, JSK and Chungh about that. They got " offers " from Winnipeg too.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #145 on: March 14, 2019, 03:54:17 PM »

What would you expect him to say?  Offers and being competitive are different issues. I have no doubt that the culture in Winnipeg was a factor but it's never going to be the only one.

Ask Loffler, JSK and Chungh about that. They got " offers " from Winnipeg too.

Yeah...but when the offers of $$ get ridiculous..well then the culture thing is moot...and in Chungh I think he just wanted to finally go back home...If Loffler was offered 140k in Montreal and we were prepared to 130..135 for example I bet he stays, same with JSK...But when e team like Montreal gets stupid and offers 30 or 40 grand more than what we would have, and most likely any other team, then a guy will bolt...same with JSK...Edm had a budget of more $$ for that position...and when it climbed over 15k difference...he bolted...but i bet if we were within 10k or so...he would have stayed
Blue In BC

« Reply #146 on: March 14, 2019, 04:11:07 PM »

Yeah...but when the offers of $$ get ridiculous..well then the culture thing is moot...and in Chungh I think he just wanted to finally go back home...If Loffler was offered 140k in Montreal and we were prepared to 130..135 for example I bet he stays, same with JSK...But when e team like Montreal gets stupid and offers 30 or 40 grand more than what we would have, and most likely any other team, then a guy will bolt...same with JSK...Edm had a budget of more $$ for that position...and when it climbed over 15k difference...he bolted...but i bet if we were within 10k or so...he would have stayed

Exactly. Bombers had more of a need for a MLB when Bighill became available. Circumstances put us in a favorable position to make the best offer in order to get him to sign here.

I wouldn't say we overpaid him but his other offers may have been not as favorable for him. Many posters felt he'd immediately sign in BC but it was clear they had less need and possible were in more of an SMS position than Wpg as an example.

No more excuses.
GCn19

« Reply #147 on: March 14, 2019, 04:19:30 PM »

Exactly. Bombers had more of a need for a MLB when Bighill became available. Circumstances put us in a favorable position to make the best offer in order to get him to sign here.

I wouldn't say we overpaid him but his other offers may have been not as favorable for him. Many posters felt he'd immediately sign in BC but it was clear they had less need and possible were in more of an SMS position than Wpg as an example.

175k is an absolute bargain for a player of Bighill's impact level. You will never in a 1000 years convince me there was no other team in this league willing to pay a MLBer of his calibre in that neighborhood last year. We might have been the highest bidder but it wouldn't have been by much. He instantly represented a HUGE upgrade for many teams at a low price for his talent level. Just because a team already has a MLBer under contract doesn't mean they are not willing to upgrade if the price is right....and with Bighill the price was right. The only teams who should have been out on him are BC, Calgary, and Montreal. To every other team he is a huge and affordable upgrade.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2019, 04:21:28 PM by GCn18 » Logged

Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #148 on: March 14, 2019, 04:51:59 PM »

I understand losing Loffler and Chungh at the salaries they were offered but I'm really PO'ed that they lost JSK over an extra $20,000 when he indicated he wanted to stay with the team and there is plenty of SMS left over to pursue a top-end receiver, which they may or may not attain.  What's the point in developing a player from rookie to star level if they chose not to retain him over a $20,000 difference, that's peanuts.  Oh good, let's start all over again with Wilson!!!
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #149 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

I understand losing Loffler and Chungh at the salaries they were offered but I'm really PO'ed that they lost JSK over an extra $20,000 when he indicated he wanted to stay with the team and there is plenty of SMS left over to pursue a top-end receiver, which they may or may not attain.  What's the point in developing a player from rookie to star level if they chose not to retain him over a $20,000 difference, that's peanuts.  Oh good, let's start all over again with Wilson!!!

If those numbers and circumstances are true then that's a pretty bad call. Who reported that?
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11 12 13
  Print  

Jump to: