AAF a financial mess

Started by GCn19, February 19, 2019, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ichabod_crane

Briefly watched the opening game while channel surfing. Looked like a pre-season game! From the beginning when they announced this league never thought this would fly despite all those trying to pump it up. Maybe these owners are hoping the NFL buys them out to serve as feeder/farm teams is all I can think of.

theaardvark

Quote from: ichabod_crane on February 21, 2019, 11:08:36 PM
Briefly watched the opening game while channel surfing. Looked like a pre-season game! From the beginning when they announced this league never thought this would fly despite all those trying to pump it up. Maybe these owners are hoping the NFL buys them out to serve as feeder/farm teams is all I can think of.

From the start, this was supposed to be a development league for the NFL, without any NFL ties.  The hope, obviously, was to eventually sell to the NFL after proving its worth.  The entire game I watched, they consistently repeated the "need for development for OLine and QB prospects, who never get enough reps in practice and never get any live reps."

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

Watching the San Antonio at San Diego game. NOBODY, in attendance. This won?t survive.

Less people there than an Argo game!

NFL network can?t even get the production right.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

TecnoGenius

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 25, 2019, 02:25:16 AM
Watching the San Antonio at San Diego game. NOBODY, in attendance. This won?t survive.

Less people there than an Argo game!

NFL network can?t even get the production right.

The Orlando game on Sat seemed much better attended (from the shots on TV).  I'd say easily 18k+?  It looks like some venues are getting decent crowds and some are BMO-field empty.

The Orlando game was pretty fun, actually had a game for a while.  And passes were being completed!  Long ones!  Good runs too.  The real suckage is on the lines.  Wow, OLs suck and DLs too.  And QBs are pretty bad.  They have a real hard time stopping the run on all teams it seems.  Penalty city too.

I'm starting to watch the San Diego game now.  We'll see how that one goes.

And ya, what's up with the garbage production?  This weekend I watched the 2010 "rouge game" ESPNC did a few days/weeks ago and the AAF game and everything about the 2010 GC production was better.  The AAF games seem like they are not even lit properly!!  And over-relying on the sky-cam.  How can a near-10 year old CFL production look better than a 2019 AAF production?  That's really sad.  Fortunately, it's fixable...
Never go full Rider!

Pigskin

What a joke. They already have to be bailed out at a cost of $240 Million. Just think what the CFL could do with $240 million.
Don't go through life looking in the rearview mirror.

TecnoGenius

Watched all but the last bit of the 2 games (I get) this weekend.  The snow game reminded me of CFL.  They managed to get the air game going in the 2nd half.  Not too bad this weekend.  Some really good catches and rushes.  Some great stops and tackles (I liked the goal line stand).

I just wanted to comment that some of the big playmakers this weekend were ex-CFLers.  Funny how they stand out amongst what seems like all rookies.  K.Bass and Tyms were lighting it up.  Good for them.

Did Bass go because no one wanted him in CFL, or did he think the grass was going to be greener?  Same with Tyms... I thought Tyms showed some promise in the CFL.  I liked what they said about Tyms: one of the few people with both SB and GC rings.
Never go full Rider!

blue_gold_84

And now the league is giving away tickets: https://3downnation.com/2019/03/03/the-aaf-is-giving-away-tickets-with-fast-food-value-meals-now/

average attendance
week 1: 19,210
week 2: 19,624
week 3: 14,078

Should be interesting to see what happens in week 4.
#forthew
лава Україні!
Don't be a Rich.

theaardvark

Quote from: blue_gold_84 on March 04, 2019, 02:47:18 PM
And now the league is giving away tickets: https://3downnation.com/2019/03/03/the-aaf-is-giving-away-tickets-with-fast-food-value-meals-now/

average attendance

Wow... do those count as "paid" attendance?  I guess that any fannies in the seats are better than none... parking, concessions, etc... and making it easier for the TV crews to aviod empty seat shots...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

GOLDMEMBER

average attendance

The end is very near for this league. I want a greasy burger now.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

theaardvark

Sinkfeld released by the Apollos... 

So, these 3 year deals the AAF was all up about, the health care and pensions... what happens to released players?  Do the benefits stay?

TecnoGenius

Quote from: theaardvark on March 05, 2019, 05:19:13 PM
Sinkfeld released by the Apollos... 

Boy... that's gotta hurt when not only can't you get a job in the CFL, but you can't get a job in the AAF!!  Ouch.
Never go full Rider!

GCn19

average attendance

Week 4 average attendance was less than 10k. One game only had 6k. Brutal. Carl's Jr. may have to lower the cost of their happy meals to give away their tickets. This league will not survive beyond a year.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

Blue In BC

average attendance

What are the numbers for week 4 and 5? Didn't see many people in this weekends games. They avoid showing the stands at all costs it seems. You get to see the near empty end zones on field goal attempts.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Stretch

Quote from: Blue In BC on March 11, 2019, 05:34:43 PM
What are the numbers for week 4 and 5?

From Reddit:

Week 4: 9,582
Week 5: 13,578
Season Average: 15,226
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

theaardvark

Have to wonder how many Happy Meal tickets are included... do they count as "sold" seats?  Or are those numbers actual turnstile figures?