AAF a financial mess

Started by GCn19, February 19, 2019, 01:33:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GCn19

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 05:34:08 PM
Fair points, that being said, the AAF really makes sense for lots of American players. Not everyone can go to a different country for several months a year nor do they want to. Plus, with how the CFL and its rosters are structured, a good part of the AAFs players would never even get a DI spot in the CFL or a shot altogether.

When I saw the AAF and what it provides its players, I found it unreasonable but at the same time, you can only play ball for so long. Obviously the CFL couldn't match what they provide, but after seeing how Jonathan Hefny had to start a Go Fund Me because of an injury suffered in the CFL, I can't fault players for looking and choosing to go elsewhere, or have any issue with a league doing better in that regard

Hey I'd love to see the AAF succeed. I just thought their economic plan, pay scale, benefits etc were out to lunch and I didn't like that teams around the CFL lost some good neg listers because of it. If they re-format in a realistic fashion that they can afford instead of trying to poach the best talent outside the NFL I wish them all the luck in the world. I feel sorry for the players that were promised a lot that will never be delivered. If you can't make payroll in week one based on revenues, it means they will have a lot of financial restructuring to do. Most of that will come at the expense of player and coaching salaries. That's just the reality.

Just last week we had financial geniuses like Odell Willis hand bagging for the AAF and putting down the pay structure of the league that fed him for the last 10 years. That's who the todaso's are for.
Some people take this forum way too seriously.

blue_or_die

Quote from: kkc60 on February 19, 2019, 05:34:08 PM
Fair points, that being said, the AAF really makes sense for lots of American players. Not everyone can go to a different country for several months a year nor do they want to. Plus, with how the CFL and its rosters are structured, a good part of the AAFs players would never even get a DI spot in the CFL or a shot altogether.

When I saw the AAF and what it provides its players, I found it unreasonable but at the same time, you can only play ball for so long. Obviously the CFL couldn't match what they provide, but after seeing how Jonathan Hefny had to start a Go Fund Me because of an injury suffered in the CFL, I can't fault players for looking and choosing to go elsewhere, or have any issue with a league doing better in that regard

The criticism was never about players wanting to go to a league that would apparently treat them better, is was about pie-in-the-sky plans that did not have a basis in reality.
#Ride?

GCn19

Here's what you need to know about Dundon.

He is the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes. In interviews he has stated that the Hurricanes will never draft a defenceman in the first round as long as he owns the team because defence is boring.

At BOG meetings he has advocated that the NHL go full time to 3 on 3 hockey.

He is the one who has ordered his team to do bizarre choreographed routines after the game.

Wants the NHL to eliminate body contact.

Just some of the nuggets he has dropped at BOG meetings and in interviews. The guy is a wing nut who is going to do some bizarre things to the game of football now that he owns the AAF. Will we see the first ever professional flag football league where the defence has to play 2 men short? Maybe....just maybe.

Fire101

The whole issue is the league was way out in left field with the salaries, and benefits it was offering.

As for Dundon, the NHL head office needs to wake up and put a team back in Quebec.

GCn19

Quote from: Fire101 on February 19, 2019, 07:12:30 PM
The whole issue is the league was way out in left field with the salaries, and benefits it was offering.

As for Dundon, the NHL head office needs to wake up and put a team back in Quebec.

Dundon was the only guy willing to take on a hemorrhaging Hurricanes franchise and keep it in Carolina.

Maudie fingerjammer

Here in Mesa the team had difficulty meeting payroll. Apparently some hotshot NHL owner came to the rescue. Could be the Bombers will scoop up some value with unused cap space.

Leroy

Quote from: GCn18 on February 19, 2019, 06:49:58 PM
Here's what you need to know about Dundon.

He is the owner of the Carolina Hurricanes. In interviews he has stated that the Hurricanes will never draft a defenceman in the first round as long as he owns the team because defence is boring.

At BOG meetings he has advocated that the NHL go full time to 3 on 3 hockey.

He is the one who has ordered his team to do bizarre choreographed routines after the game.

Wants the NHL to eliminate body contact.

Just some of the nuggets he has dropped at BOG meetings and in interviews. The guy is a wing nut who is going to do some bizarre things to the game of football now that he owns the AAF. Will we see the first ever professional flag football league where the defence has to play 2 men short? Maybe....just maybe.

He is a dirt bag. Go look at how he built his wealth.

TecnoGenius

I was one who thought for sure the AAF would fail.  So I'm not shocked.  Like some, and I admit this freely, I was sort of hoping they'd fail.  But now that I see that it's no threat to the CFL, it's more like the pathetic loser, stray kitten or unwanted mutt down the street... you gotta feel sorry for them.  On that basis, I'd like to see them succeed, with "success" meaning "stay afloat".

Like I said in the other thread: AAF isn't a threat to the CFL, it will actually help the CFL (and NFL I think).  Getting these kids and almost-weres more game reps never hurts.  Giving more guys the chance to chase their dream can't hurt.  Giving our scouts more looks at potential BB's can't hurt.

So I wish them no animus and hope they can keep it together.  With deep pockets like that, surely they can.  Hell, what's the entire CFL budget for 1 year?  I doubt that's anywhere close to 250M USD?

I do hope that faced with insolvency issues they scale back salaries to more closely match ELC INT contracts in the CFL.  That will take any last reason away for anyone to consider AAF a threat to the CFL.  Based on the level of play I saw in 2 games, there's no reason those guys should make more than ELC CFL contracts anyhow.

P.S. Things might improve once the AAF fantasy and gambling aspects get more traction.
Never go full Rider!

3rdand1.5

So this guy made just over a Billion dollars, that's impressive and a very rare accomplishment. He must have some idea how to manage money...but...1 billion dollars will evaporate very quickly buying things like NHL franchises that were not doing well and AAF leagues loosing money, sure a billion dollars seems like it will last forever and be extremely hard to burn through but this one purchase that one can safely assume he will lose.... is a quarter of his estimated net worth.

To put it into perspective its like someone with a $500,000 net worth (a very realistic net worth) deciding they really like a bowling alley that is loosing money and they decide to invest $125,000 into it and become the chairman...that's a big loss if/when they lose that investment. Make two or three choices like that and before you know it you are....

The Zipp

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on February 20, 2019, 06:20:52 PM
So this guy made just over a Billion dollars, that's impressive and a very rare accomplishment. He must have some idea how to manage money...but...1 billion dollars will evaporate very quickly buying things like NHL franchises that were not doing well and AAF leagues loosing money, sure a billion dollars seems like it will last forever and be extremely hard to burn through but this one purchase that one can safely assume he will lose.... is a quarter of his estimated net worth.

To put it into perspective its like someone with a $500,000 net worth (a very realistic net worth) deciding they really like a bowling alley that is loosing money and they decide to invest $125,000 into it and become the chairman...that's a big loss if/when they lose that investment. Make two or three choices like that and before you know it you are....

I don't think he is actually handing over a bag o $250M.  Like you say he is smart and will have some protection.  There will be layers of tax implications etc etc.  Stuff we can't even dream about unless you have an army of lawyers and accountants.    This won't be transferred from his personal savings account via online banking..it will be holding companies and spin offs etc etc

blue_or_die

Quote from: The Zipp on February 20, 2019, 07:20:25 PM
I don't think he is actually handing over a bag o $250M.  Like you say he is smart and will have some protection.  There will be layers of tax implications etc etc.  Stuff we can't even dream about unless you have an army of lawyers and accountants.    This won't be transferred from his personal savings account via online banking..it will be holding companies and spin offs etc etc

Don't you just e-transfer the hundreds of millions from your ScotiaBank "Getting There" savings account whenever you make a major pro sport franchise transaction? That's usually what I do, I mean.
#Ride?

Leroy

Quote from: 3rdand1.5 on February 20, 2019, 06:20:52 PM

He is trash

Predatory sub prime lender.

According to media stories

The Zipp

Quote from: blue_or_die on February 20, 2019, 07:34:36 PM
Don't you just e-transfer the hundreds of millions from your ScotiaBank "Getting There" savings account whenever you make a major pro sport franchise transaction? That's usually what I do, I mean.

More of a CU by phone guy myself...to transfer press 1...

VictorRomano

I like having the AAF around.  Gives me someone to mock until the CFL season starts up again and I can mock the Argos and Riders.

GCn19

According to the Washington Post the AAF has 102 million dollar salary commitment for players each year. Couple that with the operating expenses outside of player salaries and it doesn't take a genius to figure out that Dundon's 250 million might last a year.