Blue Bombers Forum
August 25, 2019, 01:33:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]
  Print  
Author Topic: 2019 Free Agency - Other Team Signings  (Read 38443 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #675 on: May 08, 2019, 05:59:06 PM »

At the end of 2018 I thought Nelson was somewhat of a clone in size and style that might be the leading candidate to take Dressler's spot on the roster.

Of course Nelson only had a 1 game brief appearance. Since then we've looked at many many rookies in mini camps and signed 6 rookie receivers for TC + we have Washington and Lawler also returning from mostly PR in 2018.

Some of the rookies: Stewart, Hazel and Bailey seemed to show well in mini camp. Whitehead might still get signed as well as others sitting on neg list at the moment.

No telling who will win roster or even PR spots at this point.

In the past the previous season's PR players don't often survive TC # 2 but each of those receivers did show some flash. In theory they have the early lead advantage going into TC.

That may change day to day so it's another TC of how each is looking from posters attending making reports.

Whether the best are returning from 2018 or new in 2019 will be decided. Posters favorites will show up in conversations as we move into the TC competition.

I don't really have one yet but I am intrigued by Bailey and Stewart as newcomers. Everything changes for rookies once they start lining up against veteran DB's.

Maybe but not necessarily so, Dressler's exceptional ability has nothing to do with his dimensions, it's his knowledge of the CFL game and a complete understanding of the play call and the reaction of the defence.  As Nichols has said numerous times, it's like having a second set of QB eyes on the field, that comes down to intelligence + experience.  Perhaps Nelson is a quick study but I somehow doubt it, Luke Tasker is the only current player I've seen as good as Dressler at ad-libbing and finding the soft spots.
Blue In BC

« Reply #676 on: May 08, 2019, 06:39:07 PM »

Maybe but not necessarily so, Dressler's exceptional ability has nothing to do with his dimensions, it's his knowledge of the CFL game and a complete understanding of the play call and the reaction of the defence.  As Nichols has said numerous times, it's like having a second set of QB eyes on the field, that comes down to intelligence + experience.  Perhaps Nelson is a quick study but I somehow doubt it, Luke Tasker is the only current player I've seen as good as Dressler at ad-libbing and finding the soft spots.

Of course that's a valid point. Some players have very high football IQ's from day 1 while others rely on athleticism. I'll take football smarts over raw physical attributes as the priority in roster decisions.

Nelson could be a bust all the way around or he may show some of good football IQ. It's very likely that whoever wins roster spots this TC will have very limited if any actual CFL experience.

My general view he has a 1 or 2 day lead going into TC. He wasn't here that long in 2018. So it was just an early commentary.

Overall I'm just waiting to see whether 2018 rookies are bumped by 2019 rookies etc etc.

Whichever way it goes the final evaluation of how they performed is all that's important. I'd like to see the end of the revolving door with the import receivers. Essentially picking players that show continuous improvement and success during the season.

They don't necessarily need to be superstars but contribute well. If we find some new superstars all the better but that's not the defining line.

« Last Edit: May 08, 2019, 06:52:10 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #677 on: May 08, 2019, 06:52:24 PM »

Of course that's a valid point. Some players have very high football IQ's from day 1 while others rely on athleticism. I'll take football smarts over raw physical attributes as the priority in roster decisions.

Nelson could be a bust all the way around or he may show some of good football IQ. It's very likely that whoever wins roster spots this TC will have very limited if any actual CFL experience.

My general view he has a 1 or 2 day lead going into TC. He wasn't here that long in 2018. So it was just an early commentary.

Overall I'm just waiting to see whether 2018 rookies are bumped by 2019 rookies etc etc.

I will admit that I don't like Nelson's dimensions, if he can't duplicate Dressler's football IQ or demonstrate that he's an extraordinary returner I don't want to see him occupying a roster spot.  Perhaps Demski can merge Dressler and Flanders roles and they can keep the other receiver positions open for the bigger boys.  Walters has been trying to increase the physical presence of the receivers for years, it's time to finally accomplish that task.
Blue In BC

« Reply #678 on: May 08, 2019, 08:18:35 PM »

I will admit that I don't like Nelson's dimensions, if he can't duplicate Dressler's football IQ or demonstrate that he's an extraordinary returner I don't want to see him occupying a roster spot.  Perhaps Demski can merge Dressler and Flanders roles and they can keep the other receiver positions open for the bigger boys.  Walters has been trying to increase the physical presence of the receivers for years, it's time to finally accomplish that task.

Nelson is bigger than B. Banks for whatever that is worth. Generally I'd prefer a bigger stronger body type. But size one way or the other is lower on the skills / physical aspect need. Speed, agility, difficult to find and bring down, soft hands and football IQ.

I'm not sure if he makes the roster or not. I'm not even sure what it says if the 2018 PR players win the spots over the 2019 recruits. It all comes down to how the choices play during the season.

I wouldn't like to see the team still looking for answers in 2020.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #679 on: May 08, 2019, 09:40:57 PM »

Nelson is bigger than B. Banks for whatever that is worth. Generally I'd prefer a bigger stronger body type. But size one way or the other is lower on the skills / physical aspect need. Speed, agility, difficult to find and bring down, soft hands and football IQ.

I'm not sure if he makes the roster or not. I'm not even sure what it says if the 2018 PR players win the spots over the 2019 recruits. It all comes down to how the choices play during the season.

I wouldn't like to see the team still looking for answers in 2020.

Hamilton is going against the grain, they just drafted David Ungerer a Dressler like clone to go along with Tasker, Saunders and Banks.  I don't know what their plan for receiver is but I like the Bombers plan of getting bigger better.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #680 on: May 09, 2019, 05:43:00 AM »

In what current universe is Dressler better than anything currently on the roster?

From what we've seen on-field, Dressler is by far the best INT slot receiver out of our current bunch.  Others may be better, but they haven't shown it in game time yet.  That makes them just hopes and dreams.

Have you forgotten that diving TD grab into the EZ Dressler did for us in late '18?  That was an amazing thing of beauty, and helped us win the game.  If only he could be out there doing that more often... If Dressler were 7 years younger we'd be all over him.

We need a slotback that can make that play on a regular basis.  That is how you win GCs.  If we don't bring up the big-name NFL cut or get some miracle CFL cut/trade, then Dress is as good an option as any other, IMHO.
Blue In BC

« Reply #681 on: May 10, 2019, 08:18:11 PM »

Bryant Mitchell is a free agent again. I wonder where he lands. He might want to follow Reilly but I don't think they can afford him after needing to release Solly.

No more excuses.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #682 on: May 14, 2019, 01:45:18 AM »

CFL Headlines
‏ @CFL_Headlines
4m4 minutes ago

Riders sign Canadian punter Jon Ryan: report: The Saskatchewan Roughriders have signed Canadian punter Jon Ryan according to Rod Pedersen. The Riders have signed Jon Ryan.  - Rod Pedersen (@rodpedersen) May 14, https://3downnation.com/2019/05/13/riders-sign-canadian-punter-jon-ryan-report/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter ? via @3DownNation

AND

CFL Headlines
‏ @CFL_Headlines
8m8 minutes ago

Breaking: Riders appear to have released Josh Bartel
« Last Edit: May 14, 2019, 01:46:50 AM by ModAdmin » Logged

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #683 on: May 14, 2019, 02:05:19 AM »

You sure about that?

Oh yah baby, I'm positive!  Might have got the date wrong but I knew it was coming.  Grin
Pigskin

« Reply #684 on: May 14, 2019, 07:24:10 PM »

Unless BC was just clearing space for him.

I did think that Jon would sign any place but at home in Regina.
Blue In BC

« Reply #685 on: May 14, 2019, 07:28:13 PM »

Unless BC was just clearing space for him.

I did think that Jon would sign any place but at home in Regina.

He'll get the most work in Regina. lol

No more excuses.
blue_or_die

« Reply #686 on: May 14, 2019, 07:46:27 PM »

He'll get the most work in Regina. lol

Lol. Absolutely!
theaardvark

« Reply #687 on: May 22, 2019, 09:48:14 PM »

Evans signs in MTL.. surprised Huff didn't grab him, or Hervey with Claybrooks as HC...  maybe those two are waiting for Singleton...

Nice pick up by Reed, wonder who gets cut to make SMS room...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Ridermania

« Reply #688 on: May 22, 2019, 11:19:16 PM »

I don't think Calgary or BC had enough SMS left.

Montreal has lots of room available.
Pages: 1 ... 44 45 [46]
  Print  

Jump to: