Blue Bombers Forum
October 17, 2019, 01:07:58 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Gray Working to Complete Master's, Earn Roster Spot  (Read 749 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: May 22, 2019, 04:13:50 PM »

Gray Working to Complete Master's, Earn Roster Spot - Ed Tait

...He's (Geoff Gray) fighting for work now along the Bombers offensive line and certainly in the mix to start at right guard - the spot owned by Sukh Chungh since 2015. The club had been contemplating the idea of using an American there - meaning three would start along with tackles Stanley Bryant and Jermarcus Hardrick - but the work of Gray, along with Drew Desjarlais, Michael Couture, Cody Speller, Tui Eli, Ben Koczwara and Matthew Ouellet De Carlo could see an all-Canadian interior on the O-line.

That's a big-picture take that Gray is happy to hear, but not ready to engage in discussion just yet. There may be a real opportunity for him to start, but he's only allowing himself to think about his next practice, his next rep.

"My big thing is it's been a while since I've had pads on," said Gray. "I just want to go out here in training camp and play well, have fun and develop as much as I can. Obviously you know what the roster situation is, but that's not something that's changing anything I do on the field."

A Bombers first-round pick in 2016, Gray joined the team last October after NFL stints with Green Bay, the New York Jets and Cleveland. And he believes that stretch last fall - which included playing in the regular season finale in Edmonton - was vital in the attitude he took into camp this month.

"It definitely helped in that the offence has carried over from last year and for me to come in here now, I'm certainly more familiar with everything," said Gray. "This is a great offensive line with a very good mentality in the way they approach the game. It's become super evident and when you look back to that playoff game in Saskatchewan at the end of last year - there are lots of good offensive lines, but not many that play that way. It's definitely something I want to be a part of and show I can do it as well......."

Read all of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2019, 05:27:05 PM »

Gray Working to Complete Master's, Earn Roster Spot - Ed Tait

...He's (Geoff Gray) fighting for work now along the Bombers offensive line and certainly in the mix to start at right guard - the spot owned by Sukh Chungh since 2015. The club had been contemplating the idea of using an American there - meaning three would start along with tackles Stanley Bryant and Jermarcus Hardrick - but the work of Gray, along with Drew Desjarlais, Michael Couture, Cody Speller, Tui Eli, Ben Koczwara and Matthew Ouellet De Carlo could see an all-Canadian interior on the O-line.

That's a big-picture take that Gray is happy to hear, but not ready to engage in discussion just yet. There may be a real opportunity for him to start, but he's only allowing himself to think about his next practice, his next rep.

"My big thing is it's been a while since I've had pads on," said Gray. "I just want to go out here in training camp and play well, have fun and develop as much as I can. Obviously you know what the roster situation is, but that's not something that's changing anything I do on the field."

A Bombers first-round pick in 2016, Gray joined the team last October after NFL stints with Green Bay, the New York Jets and Cleveland. And he believes that stretch last fall - which included playing in the regular season finale in Edmonton - was vital in the attitude he took into camp this month.

"It definitely helped in that the offence has carried over from last year and for me to come in here now, I'm certainly more familiar with everything," said Gray. "This is a great offensive line with a very good mentality in the way they approach the game. It's become super evident and when you look back to that playoff game in Saskatchewan at the end of last year - there are lots of good offensive lines, but not many that play that way. It's definitely something I want to be a part of and show I can do it as well......."

Read all of Ed Tait's article here!

If the Bombers can find a Natl. that can backup the OT position better than Neufeld that would spell the end for Foketi, it would also allow them more flexibility and the option of eventually replacing Bryant who I believe is making in the neighbourhood of $220,000.
booch

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »

i thjought it was reported Bryant is like around 180k..bumped up a bit from his original 160K
blue_or_die

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2019, 06:20:04 PM »

If Bryant is making 220, that?s very steep but worthy compensation for the best LT in the league. That?s something we don?t talk about enough on the forum.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2019, 06:41:06 PM »

i thjought it was reported Bryant is like around 180k..bumped up a bit from his original 160K

I don't think he came that cheap, I'll see what I can find.

Edit: Other than speculation on the two Bomber boards I can't find any mention of Bryant's salary.

If they're only paying him in the range of $180,000 that would be an unbelievable bargain considering his consistency, durability and the awards he's reaped as the best OT in the league.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:23:30 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
booch

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2019, 08:38:51 PM »

pretty sure everyone was amazed at the price we got him for...almost certain it is at around 180k...and not higher
blue_or_die

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2019, 01:40:13 AM »

I had the pleasure of mentoring Geoff through his senior engineering industry project. Bright fellow, and is certainly a CFD ace. Always showed up to our scheduled weekly web meetings, whether he was in New York or Cleveland.

It was a pleasure, Geoff, and I can?t wait to cheer you on as a member of my favourite team!
SSC

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2019, 03:37:25 PM »

My son is in third year Engineering and when I told him about Grey he was very impressed. Masters in Engineering while playing football is an incredible task. Just goes to show what's in this guy. I really hope he gets out to schools in the community because he is an inspiration.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: