AAF opener thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, February 09, 2019, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Blue In BC

Quote from: kkc60 on February 09, 2019, 10:08:35 PM
Why? So a ton of people can lose their jobs?

I hope the league thrives. Maybe it'll be the kick in the pants the CFL needs to raise salaries and become more player friendly, especially for americans

The CFL can't raise salaries due to the economics of the business. The ratio means money is spent on the quality Canadians out of proportion to import players that could replace them. It's not a fair employment system, so don't give us this " poor american " player garbage.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

bigbuff33

Just sayin...games being shown on CBS and the NFL Network...
This league knows what it's doing...

Jesse

Quote from: bigbuff33 on February 11, 2019, 07:49:21 AM
Just sayin...games being shown on CBS and the NFL Network...
This league knows what it's doing...

They're only trying to exist long enough to be bought out by the NFL. If that doesn't happen, their funds will disappear.
My wife is amazing!

Blue In BC

On last night's broadcast I kept hearing about the league as a development league for the NFL. I also heard them mention the roster of one team had nearly all of their players having some NFL experience.

One player had 3 games NFL in 2014. Not sure what he's done since, perhaps PR? In any case that hardly sounds like a guy the NFL will look at again.

A few other players had 3 or 4 seasons with a few games or PR time.

It's early but I foresee large roster changes going into next season as new NFL TC and non drafted players replace some of the older veterans per se.

What will be interesting to see how many actual get NFL TC offers and stick even on PR's. There are bound to be a couple that will get another look but I don't see this as being a large number.

Another interesting fact I saw on the 1st game. They showed current NFL players and which round they were drafted. The single largest group of 551 players were non drafted players.

Goes to show that drafting is not a perfect science even in the NFL.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

the paw

It will be interesting to see how they play it, if the league lasts.

Fan appeal will dictate hanging on to recognizable players with regional college reputations, taking some experienced guys and looking to win games.

The league's business objective of becoming a developmental league for the NFL will mean more churn on the roster, if a guy hasn't cracked the NFL after a couple of AAF seasons, time to move on to the next youngster in need of development. 

How they balance this dynamic will be interesting to watch.
grab grass 'n growl

Blue In BC

Quote from: the paw on February 11, 2019, 02:59:21 PM
It will be interesting to see how they play it, if the league lasts.

Fan appeal will dictate hanging on to recognizable players with regional college reputations, taking some experienced guys and looking to win games.

The league's business objective of becoming a developmental league for the NFL will mean more churn on the roster, if a guy hasn't cracked the NFL after a couple of AAF seasons, time to move on to the next youngster in need of development. 

How they balance this dynamic will be interesting to watch.

After the 1st season I'd expect a 30%+ turnover as 2019 NFL TC cuts become available.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

66 Chevelle

it was said that 81% of current AAF players have 1 or more years experience in the NFL... many/some (many is a relative term) already have NFL futures contracts now... you can be under contract with both leagues without issue in the AAF... I thought the game play was good, especially given the fact that these teams have only had 30 days to practice as a team... I think it would be safe to say that the level of play will only get better...

weekend numbers were strong... Season opener had a 2.9 rating, which exceeded the 2.5 rating there were hoping to have, they beat the head to head comp in the time prime time slot, the NBA, and was second only to the #2 Duke vs. #3 Virginia NCAA hoops games, but not by much...

game attendance was good as well given what I believe was less than aggressive promotion... the league average a little over 20,000 per game with San Antonio having the highest at a little over 27,000

all in all a pretty start, the test will be in the weeks to come to see if they can build on the foundation they've created
just because you can doesn't mean you should...

theaardvark

One of the kickers (maybe both) in the televised game had kicked this year in the NFL, I think one in the playoffs...

8 teams of 56 players = 448 players  =  14 per NFL team.  Most NFL teams have double that number of players with potential on their PR's and prospects lists.
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

66 Chevelle

Quote from: theaardvark on February 12, 2019, 10:33:24 PM
One of the kickers (maybe both) in the televised game had kicked this year in the NFL, I think one in the playoffs...

8 teams of 56 players = 448 players  =  14 per NFL team.  Most NFL teams have double that number of players with potential on their PR's and prospects lists.

8 teams of 52 players = 416 players or 13 per NFL team... NFL teams are allowed to carry 10 players on their practice roster, or 320 and like the CFL there contracts expire at the end of the season... I don't know the exact number, but I do know that there are several of those PR players currently playing in the AAF...

Moving forward, I can see a trend of quite a few of the previous season's PR players playing in the AAF because it allows them to build a resume and potentially improve their chances of making an NFL active roster... however, there is a finite number of positions available so there will be a limited amount of turn available each year... this, coupled with each new year's crop of NCAA players will assure the AAF they will have more roster stability after year one. The only other factor will be players hitting their PR eligibility limit... but I wouldn't be surprised if the AAF isn't currently playing with as much as 25% of this year's season ending NFL PR players... if nothing else it's $7,000 grant a week minimum in doing so as well as eliminates the need to pay for training for 4 months of the off season as they will work out with their AAF teams...
just because you can doesn't mean you should...

buckzumhoff

Looks like a good league. I like the teams, the coaches. The quarterbacks seem very mobile. Watched one game. But I think as the season goes on will get stronger .  A game people can afford to watch . probably half what it costs to go watch NFL or college.  NFL has left some good cities. I think it's a option vs the NFL.

Blue In BC

Quote from: 66 Chevelle on February 12, 2019, 08:39:56 PM
it was said that 81% of current AAF players have 1 or more years experience in the NFL... many/some (many is a relative term) already have NFL futures contracts now... you can be under contract with both leagues without issue in the AAF... I thought the game play was good, especially given the fact that these teams have only had 30 days to practice as a team... I think it would be safe to say that the level of play will only get better...

weekend numbers were strong... Season opener had a 2.9 rating, which exceeded the 2.5 rating there were hoping to have, they beat the head to head comp in the time prime time slot, the NBA, and was second only to the #2 Duke vs. #3 Virginia NCAA hoops games, but not by much...

game attendance was good as well given what I believe was less than aggressive promotion... the league average a little over 20,000 per game with San Antonio having the highest at a little over 27,000

all in all a pretty start, the test will be in the weeks to come to see if they can build on the foundation they've created

Any idea of how many have futures deals?

I'm expecting a large roster churn this off season. Many will be found wanting and have used their NFL PR time.  What I'd expect to see is more players that don't get drafted in 2019 or are released after go to the AAF to get playing time.

Might even be some that get deals with NFL teams to send PR players they sign to futures from the new batch  of 2019.

Some of the current AAF players have gone through the NFL and probably don't have much chance to return or sustain in the AAF IMO.

There will always be a few hidden gems that get legit shots to make an NFL team.

Season 2 would be more stable IMO than this 1st season. Season 1 was more a matter of finding some bodies and player recognition with fans.
2019 Grey Cup Champions

Jesse

Well, I'm sitting in a bar (wife playing the VLTs) and watching the Atlanta Legends play the SAN Diego Fleet. Colour me unimpressed if this is the caliber of football being played league wide.

Some of the issues seem obvious. The OL for both teams are awful. The draws and pitches that seem to make up most of the offence are blown up immediately. Guards seems to be pulling g on every play but don't seem to have the athleticism to get ahead of the play. The RBs are unable to showcase any ability (either by blocking or failure of offensive design). The QB play is not there. Matt Simms for Atlanta is doing fairly well, but Phillip Nelson is simply awful.

The TVs are muted, so I can't speak too much to the production value. It looks like any other football game to me - can't hear the announcers (Marvin lewis and MJD were pictured earlier). Though I can't imagine Lewis being an engaging announcer.

Edit:  Can barely tell their uniforms apart! Teams wear white jerseys for a reason.
My wife is amazing!

TecnoGenius

I finally got to see some AAF: both TV games on Shaw this weekend.  A few thoughts.

It's ok.  In some ways better than I expected, in some ways worse.  First, it's not completely awful and hopeless as I had guessed.  It feels like college ball.  Many of the players are very young.  Tons of rookie mistakes.  Tons of cheap shots taken by D's.  Tons of dropped balls.  Tons of running, as passing is fruitless.  Fumble/INT city!

I agree that it'll likely improve as the season goes on.  Well, it better!

For anyone who is worrying this league will compete with the CFL for viewers/players, I'd say stop worrying.  The talent level is obviously far lower than CFL.  The coaching talent is lower.  And it all feels very budget.  If I was a player I'd do all I could to stay in the CFL, unless I was an INT on the lowest of low $ tier with no hope of advancement.

Funny, but I can actually see AAF being good for the CFL!  It keeps interest for football going right after the NFL stops, and will keep the interest up going into the CFL start.  I could see more US viewers now looking for football action after AAF and finding the CFL for the first time!  Especially with mentions of CFL teams on occasion.  I hope they do more to mention CFL origins of some players.

The production is very budget.  I've been watching a lot of '80s and '90s CFL games on ESPN Classic lately and the announcing, panel, sideline commentary, and camera work all feels a lot like CFL of yesteryear.  Replays are non-existent, or suck.  I never thought I'd say this, but CFL production is very good and pro in comparison!  To be fair, this may improve too.  It's not horrid, but feels very ad hoc and budget.

The crowds in week 2 that I saw were definitely not 25k.  They looked like BMO in '17 on the non-bench side!  Worse!  Yikes, no one there at all.  Gotta be under 13k.  Maybe in week 1 the crowds were given lots of free tickets or promos or whatever.  Maybe that'll improve too; they'll sure need it to.

I was surprised how few CFL players I saw/heard mentioned.  In both games I only noticed Pittman, and K.Bass.  Nice to see Bass getting work.

Last, the rules are funky.  No kickoff, ok fine.  But I really don't like the forced 2pt convert.  What this means in essence is all TDs are worth 6 (because the O's suck so much at the moment).  This makes for scores that are too similar, and almost always a multiple of 3.  This takes away some of the fun of the math of football.  It makes it so FG pairs are basically as good as TDs.  That extra "free" point (convert) in CFL/NFL makes all the difference in the calculus of football, and AAF doesn't have it.  If it was me, I'd make all TDs worth 7 and force a 1 point pass/run convert from the 3.  I know that's crazy, but it would leave the point calculus sane.

Bottom line, doubt it'll compete with the CFL product (in Canada), but I'll keep PVRing it probably as it's mildly entertaining and I might see more ex-CFLers.  And I like to support the underdog, and this league sure is an underdog.  But scared of losing our decent players to AAF?  Not remotely scared anymore.

Oh ya, the guy is right, shaved ice is the bomb.  ;)
Never go full Rider!

Fire101

I saw the highlights from this weekend and attendance looked bad. I don't think Americans are going to pay to attend non-NFL talent, they may watch it on T.V once in a while but that's it. And history is not good for this league, from the XFL, USFL Americans don't support it. They have college football and the NFL, and I think that's a saturated market.

theaardvark

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/2019/02/19/aaf-football-tom-dundon-chairman-investment/2913018002/

Now we know what the 'canes were practicing their celly's for....

NHL owner sweeps in to save football league...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.