AAF opener thread

Started by GOLDMEMBER, February 09, 2019, 07:19:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GOLDMEMBER

Good showing so far for the CFL, yawn!

The blue Bombers got a tip of the hat in the 3rd quarter because of Reilly and Polian with the Club.
I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!

kkc60

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 10, 2019, 02:05:25 AM

The blue Bombers got a tip of the hat in the 3rd quarter because of Reilly and Polian with the Club.
Yeah no the QB and OL play looks week. 2 of the toughest positions to deal with in the NFL and CFL too so not surprised. Still enjoying it though

KINGCHARLES

Quote from: GOLDMEMBER on February 10, 2019, 02:05:25 AM

Your confusing Reilly(QB) and Riley(last Head Coach of a Bomber Grey Cup winner).....its Mike Riley that you want

This football kinda looks like CFL pre-season when backups play
BEASTS OF THE EAST

I DON'T BRAKE FOR RIDER FANS

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: KINGCHARLES on February 10, 2019, 02:17:13 AM
Your confusing Reilly(QB) and Riley(last Head Coach of a Bomber Grey Cup winner).....its Mike Riley that you want

This football kinda looks like CFL pre-season when backups play
right thanks tomato tomaato

Poor football.

GOLDMEMBER

TecnoGenius

Argh, I missed it.

What was it even on?  I can't find it anywhere in my Shaw listings.  Is it stream-only?  Or am I just missing something?

Anywhere to see a repeat?  That youtube link is already taken down.

When's the next game?
Never go full Rider!

DM83

While the initial thought was this was supposed to be a. Minor league for NFL, it may actually train guys who come to Canada, b/c they still won't have the skills needed for the NFL.

All CFL teams are affiliated with a team. Hmmmm., that could work in our favor

The Zipp

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 10, 2019, 05:28:32 AM
Argh, I missed it.

What was it even on?  I can't find it anywhere in my Shaw listings.  Is it stream-only?  Or am I just missing something?

When's the next game?

One of the games was on CBS. 

VictorRomano

Quote from: TecnoGenius on February 10, 2019, 05:28:32 AM
Argh, I missed it.

When's the next game?

CBS, Saturday nights at 7:00ish

Waffler

Saw part of one game. It looked sloppy and low scoring to me. Did they even play a preseason?  I can't imagine enough Americans will watch to keep it in prime time. I'll give it time to gel though. Early days.
Buried in the essentially random digits of pi, you can find your eight-digit birthdate. (Is that a wink from God or just a lot of digits?) - David G. Myers

GOLDMEMBER

Quote from: DM83 on February 10, 2019, 06:16:31 AM
While the initial thought was this was supposed to be a. Minor league for NFL, it may actually train guys who come to Canada, b/c they still won't have the skills needed for the NFL.

All CFL teams are affiliated with a team. Hmmmm., that could work in our favor
I was thinking the same thing. I think it just might help the league was well developing QBs especially. 95% if not more don?t have the talent or whatever to make the NFL so when they are done there what next?

I really cannot see it lasting more than couple seasons max.

theaardvark

They played one preseason game (not televised)

Watched the game, m;eh.  First game, so they have a lot to work out.  Sounded like they were having a lot of technical difficulties, especially with sound.  Looks like they want to do a "mic'd up" broadcast like the CFL does, with coaches and QB with live mic's,  Didn't go so well...

Repeatedly pounded the "Backup QB's and Olinemen don't get enough reps in the NFL in practice and none in gametime, so they can come to the AAF and get those reps" or that the AAF is going to be a resource for QB's and Oline, as well as coaches...   I wonder how that makes the rest of the players feel... they are just scout team guys giving the "starters" some game reps...

So, yes, they are a feeder league for the NFL, nothing more.  This is the equivalent to AHL level football, without the commitment that NHL teams make to their "feeder teams" or the players.

As someone else mentioned, no pans of the crowd was reminiscent of an Argos game.  While there were pockets o rabid fans craving big league football, not sure what the crowd size was, did not hear it mentioned...
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

theaardvark

27k in San Antonio, 20k in Orlando
Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.

Blue In BC

I watched the 1st half and it was very boring. Looked like most pre season games in any league. No chemistry or communication among a bunch of players just getting together.

I kept hearing about this being a development league. I don't know the players contract details but this could suggest an " out " when an NFL opportunity comes up. Essentially 1 year deals?

This would seem to suggest there could be a revolving door on rosters season to season. Bad players will be released. Possibly some decent players will get NFL PR offers although it also seems some players have NFL experience and probably don't have PR time left.

While I don't expect to be a fan, I wouldn't like to see massive roster changes every season.

As far as football goes:

1. Didn't like the no kick off idea. Free catches on punts is bad enough.
2. I did like the eye in the sky being able to correct blatant errors. So why was it necessary for that 1st challenge on a clear drop out of bounds and probably not getting 2nd foot down as well?
3. I did like the shorter time clock between plays. Speeds up the game.

2019 Grey Cup Champions