Blue Bombers Forum
May 24, 2019, 03:15:24 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Laine a superstar.  (Read 1252 times)
Pigskin

« on: February 01, 2019, 01:40:17 PM »

In my opinion not yet. He is to streaky with his offence, and not very good defensively. What will his next contract be worth?
blue_or_die

« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2019, 02:03:45 PM »

Bridge deal for 6.5M for 2 years.
theaardvark

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 03:29:13 PM »

Unless he turns it around soon, I'm not sure he even gets premium dollars on a bridge deal, especially without arbitration rights.  Hopefully his season rebounds and he gets a long term extension in the range of Ehlers and Scheifele.  I can't see him signing for as much as Wheeler.  Maybe 5 at $7mil? 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 04:34:46 PM »

People need to remember how young he still is. And look at what he's already accomplished. It's easy to overvalue a player when he's putting up goals but he's been streaky since he started his NHL career and this season has been particularly streaky. And by the same token, it's easy to dump on him when he isn't producing or contributing. That being said, fans of this team - and I'm not saying it's anyone here - have to keep that in mind when criticizing him. And if you listen to his interviews, he's his biggest critic. But he doesn't put himself down and neither should anybody else. Most importantly, the team is still winning despite his struggles.

He's got the tools to be a superstar, IMO. He isn't there yet, though. He'll need to put in more work in the off-season to hone his skill set and round out his game. It's simply a matter of reaching his potential a this point and being a more consistent player.

Remember where Scheifele was at 20 years old. He worked hard and it's paid off significantly.\

All that said, I'm hoping for a bridge deal, either two or three years in the range of $3.5-4.5M AAV.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Jesse

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2019, 07:35:17 PM »

I've heard PM talk a few times about Laine and his development. It's all great things. He has an elite shot (is this a category above elite? Generational?). But is a 20 year old learning the game.

I think both sides are going to want a bridge deal moving forward, and then we can see how the rest of his game develops. I don't see any reason not to think he's going to be a Jet for the next 10 years still.

My wife is amazing!
Pigskin

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2019, 10:05:14 PM »

I like where Kyle Connor is headed. This kid is in for a good size pay day. At this point a more complete player.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2019, 03:00:54 AM »

Benched for Ehlers return. If not who the heck do you take out? Lemieux no, Rosie no, Tanev no, Appleton likely but no.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue_or_die

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2019, 06:54:17 AM »

Benched for Ehlers return. If not who the heck do you take out? Lemieux no, Rosie no, Tanev no, Appleton likely but no.

It absolutely is Appleton.
TrueBlue75

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2019, 02:25:18 PM »

I?m not worried about Laine. I still remember comments from a few years ago on social media about Scheifele and what a bust he was and how Couturier was better. Fast forward to now and he is one of the most important players on the team. In my opinion, Laine?s confidence is low right now and think that he needs a bit of coaching. It is pure nonsense all the trade Laine comments out there. The guy is 20 and is in elite company for getting to 100 goals the quickest before 21. He will continue to evolve and in 5 years from now he?ll be a consistent superstar!
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2019, 01:50:18 PM »

It absolutely is Appleton.

Without question.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
theaardvark

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2019, 07:12:29 PM »

If he can get past this slump...  he has been on a start trajectory since day one, since saying he should have been picked over Matthews (yes, I know, that was somewhat tongue in cheek), but he hasn't had to handle adversity really at all yet.  It has all come naturally and while that is the case, it also means we haven't seen how he can handle adversity.

Having to adjust lines based on his play is horrible to other players, and while we all know he has the ability to shine, it starts to get worrisome when this happens, and while his teammates won't consciously resent his slump, you can bet there is subconscious concern... especially when you score 9 goals on an opponent and your snipers gets none of them.

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2019, 07:32:12 PM »

Laine worries me a little bit. He's a shooter but doesn't seem to be much else. I get that he's young and will hopefully round out his game, but perhaps the improvement that needs to be made is greater than anticipated. A slump is one thing, but he's completely disappeared in all facets.
dd

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2019, 11:43:56 PM »

Laine a superstar??? Surely you jest.....some nights he's not even a star/he becomes invisible.

OV, Sid and McDavid are superstars...consistent, high end performanaces game in game out.
Pigskin

« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2019, 02:42:12 PM »

Should we trade Laine for Stone?? If Stone will sign an extension.
theaardvark

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2019, 03:35:22 PM »

Should we trade Laine for Stone?? If Stone will sign an extension.

Don't think we're quite there yet... but I'd love to see a line with  Laine and Stone on it...  that might bust Laine's slump... 

Its been a while since I watch SlapShot, didn't they have a unique way of busting a guys slump?  Or was that another hockey movie?

Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: