Blue Bombers Forum
September 15, 2019, 06:03:25 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Extend the Contract of Defensive Back Anthony Gaitor  (Read 1818 times)
66 Chevelle

« Reply #15 on: January 23, 2019, 08:05:57 PM »

on the other hand, a 30 year old player that hasn't had the opportunity to play a full season yet may like the security of knowing he has a place to play for the next 2 years... it's a lot better than having to worry all year if you'll be picked up at the end of '19 as well as tells you that the team has 'penciled' you into to their plans for '18... a lot of volatility in this league for imports that may be considered borderline players...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue_or_die

« Reply #16 on: January 23, 2019, 08:10:17 PM »

Gaitor didn't cause any bidding war last year IIRC. He was probably on a very friendly contract and got a reasonable but not outrageous raise.

Agree that at his age, he's probably happy with the job security (as far as that goes in the CFL).

Even though I don't know what he's making, I'm willing to call this very likely a high value signing.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: January 23, 2019, 09:51:36 PM »

Gaitor didn't cause any bidding war last year IIRC. He was probably on a very friendly contract and got a reasonable but not outrageous raise.

Agree that at his age, he's probably happy with the job security (as far as that goes in the CFL).

Even though I don't know what he's making, I'm willing to call this very likely a high value signing.

I felt the same way, he would be a value signing for what turned out to be a capable player... finding players such as this can be as difficult as retaining your star power because you have to have these value type players to complete a roster...

and he seems like a really nice guy, too... I met him last year in the airport in Winnipeg the day after the Banjo Bowl... I was surprised to see several Bomber players in the airport actually as I had a 6 am flight out, I figured it was pretty early for them to be getting up and going to the airport, lol... Anthony was directly behind me in line as we were awaiting boarding, so, me being me, I struck up a conversation with him about the game, he introduced himself, yada yada yada... like I said, very nice guy, glad to see him staying with the team...

booch

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2019, 02:02:53 PM »

yeah good signing for versatility alone...if we have a good off-season and un-earth another Sayles who steps in and starts then he makes an excellent 5th guy/rotational guy at worst, along with Fenner whom I think reclaims the SAM position this year.
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2019, 03:31:27 PM »

Thoughts from Anthony Gaitor on his re-signing and being a Blue Bomber.

https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/01/23/weve-got-unfinished-business-gaitor-remains-blue-gold/

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Nic16

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2019, 05:09:31 PM »

yeah good signing for versatility alone...if we have a good off-season and un-earth another Sayles who steps in and starts then he makes an excellent 5th guy/rotational guy at worst, along with Fenner whom I think reclaims the SAM position this year.

I agree about the good signing, but not so sure about Fenner reclaiming the SAM position. Gaitor played his best football at SAM, and it seemed to be a good fit for his skill set and style of play.

Fenner was very good on ST?s and is versatile enough to fill in or start at HB. If Alexander doesn?t re-sign I could see Fenner at FHB.

Chris Humes could be that ?find? to fill a starting DB spot. Good size, TC, PR and 1 game experience - that he looked good in.

Sayles-Humes-Derek Jones/Abu Conteh-Fenner-Cooper w/Gaitor at SAM is something that could be scratched down on paper heading into FA. Lots of speed in that group with a nice sprinkling of aggressiveness.

Now if we could add Alexander (FHB/FCB) to that group before FA, we could be a bit picky on FA day to add another starter for the boundary side or a versatile backup DB.

booch

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2019, 05:16:44 PM »

Yeah, Gaitor too can play HB so we have some nice interchangeable pieces already prior to free agency and signing back any of our 2018 starters...the way I look at it was whoever of the 2 win the SAM spot...we are looking strong.

Humes I really like..and a combo of him and Alexander if we sign him gives us a big, physical secondary with nice athleticism...toss in Sayles..Fenner..Gaitor in some capacity and we'd be more than okay in the backfield..even with a Jones or Conteh in the safety spot..which I said before is the easiest defensive position to fill..especially if thy play a traditional safety role.

And with Biggie..and hopefully JSK back...the safety just has to be athletic enough to sit back..read the play and flow to the ball
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2019, 05:31:10 PM »

Good to see the lure of the new leagues hasn't yet made an impact on re-signing CFL vets., perhaps after a year of operation they will establish their viability and become a more attractive destination.
Nic16

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2019, 05:57:10 PM »

Yeah, Gaitor too can play HB so we have some nice interchangeable pieces already prior to free agency and signing back any of our 2018 starters...the way I look at it was whoever of the 2 win the SAM spot...we are looking strong.

Humes I really like..and a combo of him and Alexander if we sign him gives us a big, physical secondary with nice athleticism...toss in Sayles..Fenner..Gaitor in some capacity and we'd be more than okay in the backfield..even with a Jones or Conteh in the safety spot..which I said before is the easiest defensive position to fill..especially if thy play a traditional safety role.

And with Biggie..and hopefully JSK back...the safety just has to be athletic enough to sit back..read the play and flow to the ball

We?re definitely on the same page with this. I?m really hoping they get Alexander re-signed. He was fighting thru an injury for a good part of last year and he still looked good. He?s a very under-rated FHB...who can also play FCB...and might one day be a very good SAM as he gains more experience.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2019, 06:06:42 PM »

Good to see the lure of the new leagues hasn't yet made an impact on re-signing CFL vets., perhaps after a year of operation they will establish their viability and become a more attractive destination.

It sounds like they will be around, at least the AAF, for a while so I guess we'll find out... I read an article the other day, I believe it was from the Sporting News but I can be sure, that the AAF has $850M available to them to bank roll the league...

I don't expect it to really impact player availability much if at all for the CFL... especially CFL vets, I think they'll stay regardless... personally, I think they'll attract those players that aren't currently making themselves available to the CFL, those guys that didn't make the NFL but still think that they are going to get a phone call any day... it will all hinge on how many are actually coming from the AAF to the NFL, if players see that it actually is making a difference on the phone ringing, well who knows...

Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: