Blue Bombers Forum
May 22, 2019, 04:56:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
  Print  
Author Topic: New CBA questions / views ( by posters )  (Read 7066 times)
blue girl

« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2019, 07:45:05 PM »

I will admit that this isn't an issue that would get me to me to give up my season tickets or stop watching the game. As a matter of fact when I first read about it my first thought was that now we wouldn't have to start Jake Thomas Cheesy. I will say though that if they change it to 5 starters I hope that they'll be real Canadians and not players that are Canadian like Singleton and yes Wolitarsky who are Canadian because they have a Canadian relative. Only players born and raised in Canada.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2019, 08:37:40 PM »

Neither would increasing it or leaving it the same. The ratio doesn't matter to casual fans. The bottom 2 guys lose their jobs. 2 guys go from starters to backups only if they aren't as good as the guys who replace them.

Drew Edwards
@scratchingpost
 ? 5h
 Hardcore #CFL fans: ***, reducing the ratio is a travesty that goes against everything the league stands for.

Casual CFL fans: what's the ratio?
Blue In BC

« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2019, 08:46:43 PM »

I will admit that this isn't an issue that would get me to me to give up my season tickets or stop watching the game. As a matter of fact when I first read about it my first thought was that now we wouldn't have to start Jake Thomas Cheesy. I will say though that if they change it to 5 starters I hope that they'll be real Canadians and not players that are Canadian like Singleton and yes Wolitarsky who are Canadian because they have a Canadian relative. Only players born and raised in Canada.

They have a Canadian parent but weren't born in Canada.

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2019, 08:49:45 PM »

Drew Edwards
@scratchingpost
 ? 5h
 Hardcore #CFL fans: ***, reducing the ratio is a travesty that goes against everything the league stands for.

I'm as hardcore a fan as anybody and I could care less about the ratio. I cheer for teams that represent Canadian cities and specifically the city I was born.

No more excuses.
TBURGESS

« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »

Drew Edwards
@scratchingpost
 ? 5h

LOL. Grin

Being right never gets old.
blue girl

« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2019, 09:30:17 PM »

Drew Edwards
@scratchingpost
 ? 5h

That about sums it up.
Blue In BC

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2019, 09:40:15 PM »

That about sums it up.

Without looking at the roster, name all of the Canadians that were on the 2018 roster. Or name all the Canadians that were on the roster in 2018 that are still on the roster today.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2019, 11:04:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
BBRT

If winning isn't everything,why do they keep score

« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2019, 09:59:04 PM »

I'm as hardcore a fan as anybody and I could care less about the ratio. I cheer for teams that represent Canadian cities and specifically the city I was born.

I can agree with you somewhat however, even though I just have permanent residence status and still am a US citizen (and unfortunately still have pay US Taxes) there has always been something about ensuring the Canadian content (game rules and players) that has always struck me as truly Canadian. I of course will not stop cheering for my Bombers but I still would like to preserve the Canadian content and that includes the ratio etc.
blue girl

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2019, 10:42:13 PM »

Without looking at the roster, name all of the Canadians that were on the 218 roster. Or name all the Canadians that were on the roster in 2018 that are still on the roster today.
Okay I'll do my best. Canadians still on the roster today.
Andrew Harris
Micheal Couture
Patrick Neufeld
Geoff Gray
Nick Demski
Daniel Peterman
Drew Wolotarsky
Jake Thomas
Chad Rempel
Rashaun Simonise
Abu Conteh

These are players that I can remember being on the AR. However between turning 55 and a few hits to my head from falling on ice, my memory isn't what it used to be.
Blue In BC

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2019, 11:10:59 PM »

Okay I'll do my best. Canadians still on the roster today.
Andrew Harris
Micheal Couture
Patrick Neufeld
Geoff Gray
Nick Demski
Daniel Peterman
Drew Wolotarsky
Jake Thomas
Chad Rempel
Rashaun Simonise
Abu Conteh

These are players that I can remember being on the AR. However between turning 55 and a few hits to my head from falling on ice, my memory isn't what it used to be.

Only 11? You just proved my point and I'm 70 in May. Most fans probably can't name most of the players let alone whether they are Canadians or Imports.

What about Speller, Jones, Briggs, Gauthier, Augustine, Hecht, Miles & Miller. There was even lots of talk suggesting Jones may be the starter at safety. That may change if the number of Canadian starters drops.

No more excuses.
blue girl

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2019, 11:32:32 PM »

To tell you the truth I'm not even sure that this is a real story. They haven't even negotiated since Tuesday and this is coming out on Saturday. I hardly think that this is a major issue. I'd be more worried about the minimum salary and longterm healthcare.
theaardvark

« Reply #131 on: March 17, 2019, 03:58:52 AM »

Neither would increasing it or leaving it the same. The ratio doesn't matter to casual fans. The bottom 2 guys lose their jobs. 2 guys go from starters to backups only if they aren't as good as the guys who replace them.

If there are still 21 Nats on the roster, whether it is 7 starters and 14 backups / ST players or 5 starters and 16 backups / ST players, no one loses a job...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
TBURGESS

« Reply #132 on: March 17, 2019, 01:50:33 PM »

If there are still 21 Nats on the roster, whether it is 7 starters and 14 backups / ST players or 5 starters and 16 backups / ST players, no one loses a job...
If you assume that they keep the number of NI's the same, that's true. I think 2 less starters also means 2 less NI's on the team.

Being right never gets old.
Blue In BC

« Reply #133 on: March 17, 2019, 01:58:11 PM »

If you assume that they keep the number of NI's the same, that's true. I think 2 less starters also means 2 less NI's on the team.

Exactly. I don't expect the total roster size to be increased. Even if they retain the 2 man DR it doesn't make sense to force those 2 players to be NI's if you are reducing the number of starters.

IMO we won't need the 2 man DR. For the last 2 seasons we've kept Foketi there for an example. While I'm not sure he'd be one of the new starters, the DR was often used keep on import and one Canadian OL. If the ratio changes then all bets are off so to speak.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #134 on: March 17, 2019, 03:44:28 PM »

CFL Headlines
@CFL_Headlines
 CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie wants two "global" roster spots: sources: CFL commissioner Randy Ambrosie wants two roster spots designated for "global players", as part of the new collective bargaining agreement, per sources. Currently,? http://dlvr.it/R10lfX  via @JDunk12

8:13 AM - Mar 17, 2019

I think this announcement probably has more to do with the sudden suggestion of a ratio change than the current quality of Natl. talent.  It looks like Ambrosie needs to make room for his "global players" and has chosen Natl. players as his sacrifice.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 17
  Print  

Jump to: