Blue Bombers Forum
March 20, 2019, 09:16:02 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican draft  (Read 2141 times)
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #30 on: January 14, 2019, 07:07:05 PM »

Phase two of the worldwide roll-out being planned.

David William Naylor

@TSNDaveNaylor
 The CFL is strongly considering holding another international combine during the current off-season, this time in Germany. There?s a lot still to be determined about this international strategy but it is definitely happening. #CFL

4:18 PM - Jan 13, 2019
blue_or_die

« Reply #31 on: January 14, 2019, 07:20:26 PM »

Will these players be considered Imports?

Perhaps a special, new designation?

Each team will have a "Designated Mexian" (DM).

Cheesy
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: January 14, 2019, 07:32:42 PM »

Perhaps a special, new designation?

Each team will have a "Designated Mexian" (DM).

Cheesy

Designated " Corona " supplier.

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2019, 08:31:33 PM »

I can report that of the three players we drafted, the team with the coolest (possibly only?) website is Aztecas UDLAP. https://fba.udlap.mx/

They got some cool green glow stuff going on.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #34 on: January 14, 2019, 08:51:25 PM »

I don't think that going to countries that really don't play the game, and that another sport is by far away the most popular, and that this other sport is probably considered 'the world's sport' (soccer), I would think it would be tough to find interest, let alone players... plus, Canada borders a country that has an abundance of quality players looking for opportunity... or, is it that the CFL is concerned that this pool may dwindle in the near future?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
M.O.A.B.

« Reply #35 on: January 14, 2019, 08:55:11 PM »

https://fba.udlap.mx/acerca-de/coaches/

Head Couch Eric L. Fisher  Grin
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 09:39:37 PM by M.O.A.B. » Logged
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #36 on: January 14, 2019, 09:08:22 PM »

I don't think that going to countries that really don't play the game, and that another sport is by far away the most popular, and that this other sport is probably considered 'the world's sport' (soccer), I would think it would be tough to find interest, let alone players... plus, Canada borders a country that has an abundance of quality players looking for opportunity... or, is it that the CFL is concerned that this pool may dwindle in the near future?

I don't think it's a talent intake thing. If we were ever in that situation we would just pull back the ratio a little bit and the pipeline of American talent is there. It's all about trying to grow interest in the CFL internationally. This draft is a bit of an extreme step, but it probably is a competitive advantage that the bigger leagues can't/wouldn't do. In that way it makes sense. The NFL recognizes and pursues markets outside the US. The NHL, MLB and NBA all do too. Obviously, soccer is a global sport. Selling "Canadian" football to Mexico might be easier than "American" football right about now too. There's no harm and only possible upsides. It's definitely a long term play but even a modest international following would make a significant difference to modest CFL bottom lines.
theaardvark

« Reply #37 on: January 14, 2019, 09:52:38 PM »

Bombers say they are bringing everyone to camp...  guessing they will be considered non-counters....

Sounds like a German combine could happen this year still... can't imagine there are as many players coming from that, 2 rounds maybe?  Smaller population base than Mexico, with fewer ties to Gridiron Football...   

Guessing a few extra miles of air travel worth the upside of increasing viewership.  With the interweb, maybe with enough need the CFL can start its own streaming network, for outside Canada and US, because the revenue stream would be a lot smaller than the current TSN / ESPN contracts no doubt...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #38 on: January 14, 2019, 10:04:25 PM »

I don't think it's a talent intake thing. If we were ever in that situation we would just pull back the ratio a little bit and the pipeline of American talent is there. It's all about trying to grow interest in the CFL internationally. This draft is a bit of an extreme step, but it probably is a competitive advantage that the bigger leagues can't/wouldn't do. In that way it makes sense. The NFL recognizes and pursues markets outside the US. The NHL, MLB and NBA all do too. Obviously, soccer is a global sport. Selling "Canadian" football to Mexico might be easier than "American" football right about now too. There's no harm and only possible upsides. It's definitely a long term play but even a modest international following would make a significant difference to modest CFL bottom lines.

NASCAR essentially did the same thing in order to try and grow their market and interest outside of the US... They created diversity program that was actually pretty successful and recruited potential drivers of nationalities other than US, as well as scheduled races in Mexico...

but you would think that given the fact that the absolute largest pool of potential new fans is sharing a border with Canada that they would maybe start there... you see absolutely zero marketing of the CFL in the states, ESPN doesn't even show highlights or scores of CFL games... isn't TSN basically an extenstion of, or even possibly owned by ESPN?

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
gobombersgo

« Reply #39 on: January 14, 2019, 11:35:38 PM »

So, can we trade up for Edm's first overall? Wink   Maybe the rights to DD?

Sucks that there are 6 players worth drafting, and Edm will be skipping theirs and we pick 8th...

Their GM and head coach may not have been there but the Esks did have representation:

kkc60

« Reply #40 on: January 14, 2019, 11:36:14 PM »

I feel like this has not been explicitly stated yet. Even GMs seem confused about what the implications will be.

I don't really have a huge problem with this Mexican expansion. Most seem incredibly opposed and I see no harm in trying to expand the market. However, it seems like this has been rushed in before certain things have been decided. All of these things should have been planned out beforehand and there's no way that is the case.
I wish there were more details known. But frankly I found this draft interesting. I wish all the men taken good luck. At the worst, it was something interesting during a quiet time of the year
3rdand1.5

« Reply #41 on: January 14, 2019, 11:48:13 PM »

Mexico being so high on soccer I figured that more kickers may have been picked early....yes a different sport but ...
At the end of the day if this helps with viewership great. I too question the Us thing as Chevy mentioned, is there some form of tv big cable reason not to try and expand the CFL image south of our border?
gobombersgo

« Reply #42 on: January 14, 2019, 11:53:56 PM »

Bombers say they are bringing everyone to camp...  guessing they will be considered non-counters....

Sounds like a German combine could happen this year still... can't imagine there are as many players coming from that, 2 rounds maybe?  Smaller population base than Mexico, with fewer ties to Gridiron Football...   

Guessing a few extra miles of air travel worth the upside of increasing viewership.  With the interweb, maybe with enough need the CFL can start its own streaming network, for outside Canada and US, because the revenue stream would be a lot smaller than the current TSN / ESPN contracts no doubt...
Wrong

Knocker42

« Reply #43 on: January 15, 2019, 12:04:01 AM »

There is a report saying that CFL has extended its contract with ESPN to show at least 20 games on either ESPN or ESPN2 and at least 65 games on ESPN+.  No financial details were available so I guess that means no big cash influx.
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #44 on: January 15, 2019, 12:37:19 AM »

...isn't TSN basically an extenstion of, or even possibly owned by ESPN?

No. TSN is owned by Bell Canada, which is more commonly referred to as Bell Media. I'm pretty sure ESPN has a minority share in TSN, though. The two are essentially broadcast partners and share content in their respective countries.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2019, 12:39:09 AM by blue_gold_84 » Logged

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: