Blue Bombers Forum
June 20, 2019, 07:10:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Mexican draft  (Read 2969 times)
theaardvark

« on: January 11, 2019, 08:35:12 PM »

So, before it even starts, its over...

First there were going to be 50+ Mexican players in a combine, and the CFL teams would draft one player each.  Then it went to 2 rounds, and then an indeterminate number of rounds..

Now Sunderland and Maas have decided that its not worth going, and then word is other GMs are also considering skipping the combine. 

CFL News @CFL_News
The Eskimos? top brass isn?t going at all. Neither general manager Brock Sunderland nor head coach Jason Maas will be among the Eskimos representatives in Mexico. - @GerryModdejonge #CFL #Esks

Arash Madani @ArashMadani
Brock Sunderland nails it here. Not only is Edmonton's GM (and also Jason Maas) not going to this league-mandated "combine" in Mexico, but I'm told more #CFL GMs watched tape of the players that will be working out next week and decided not to waste their time by making the trip.

Waste of time, and maybe a waste of front office SMS cap.... not sure what expenses count or don't count...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
kkc60

« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2019, 09:10:37 PM »

First there were going to be 50+ Mexican players in a combine, and the CFL teams would draft one player each.  Then it went to 2 rounds, and then an indeterminate number of rounds..

Now Sunderland and Maas have decided that its not worth going, and then word is other GMs are also considering skipping the combine. 

CFL News @CFL_News
The Eskimos? top brass isn?t going at all. Neither general manager Brock Sunderland nor head coach Jason Maas will be among the Eskimos representatives in Mexico. - @GerryModdejonge #CFL #Esks

Brock Sunderland nails it here. Not only is Edmonton's GM (and also Jason Maas) not going to this league-mandated "combine" in Mexico, but I'm told more #CFL GMs watched tape of the players that will be working out next week and decided not to waste their time by making the trip.

Waste of time, and maybe a waste of front office SMS cap.... not sure what expenses count or don't count...
I can see it being similar to what the NFL has done with European players. I believe one division had a mini draft in which each team took a European player who, if they didnt make the roster, got a PR spot as the "11th man"
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2019, 04:55:27 PM »

CFL News @CFL_News

The Esks. organization has a history of defiance, I think it's fine to make the decision not to go if they perceive it will not be worth their time but to come out with a public announcement a few days after league meetings disparaging the plan and the league is classless.  The Esk. organization is like the morons that sit at the back of the class mocking the teacher.

The following article offers a counterpoint.

https://www.cjme.com/2019/01/11/regina-rams-coach-thinks-mexico-could-provide-good-talent-to-cfl/
« Last Edit: January 13, 2019, 07:03:41 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Curling4Me

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2019, 07:35:32 PM »

Does anyone know when this draft is happening? Or where we pick? I know it this weekend but can?t find much info on it.

"Nobody sitting now in Winnipeg. Mcmanus for Amerson PICKED OFF ITS OVER NOW JURAN BOLDEN TOUCHDOWN WINNIPEG."
Chris Cuthbert
kkc60

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2019, 08:45:21 PM »

Does anyone know when this draft is happening? Or where we pick? I know it this weekend but can?t find much info on it.
I believe it will be via lottery. I believe combine Sunday draft monday
66 Chevelle

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2019, 11:05:12 PM »

I had no clue that football, the kind with the ball with pointy ends, was played in Mexico, at any level... I didn't think there was grass in Mexico either, lol...  would make for some pretty drab looking fields..  Grin

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Knocker42

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2019, 11:53:24 PM »

I'd bet there are some people in USA who are not aware that football is played in Canada and in some European countries.
theaardvark

« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2019, 07:35:47 AM »

Still no comment about a keg of Corona?

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
SSC

« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2019, 04:50:41 PM »

Still no comment about a keg of Corona?

I think Ambrosie must have been hitting the Cuervo Gold pretty hard to come up with this one.
TBURGESS

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 06:25:52 PM »

I think it's just an excuse to go to Mexico in January for a week.

Being right never gets old.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

Who gives a flying Buck...

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 08:02:50 PM »

From Dave Naylor:

Consensus from taking to CFL coaches and GM?s here in Mexico City: Of 50 players here, a half-dozen would not look out of place in a CFL camp, another dozen could be developed into camp-worthy players, and roughly 30 have no pro potential. #CFL
RebusRankin

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2019, 08:23:18 PM »

Guys just think what will happen if we draft and sign one of those six. When we go down to Mexico, we'll see tons of Bomber gear and the locals will boo those wearing Rider gear.
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2019, 10:36:26 PM »

Thoughts from bob Irving:

I?ve been skeptical about Randy Ambrosie?s Mexican plan. Now we hear only 6 players at the Mexican combine wouldn?t ?look out of place? at a CFL camp. Once again raising my skepticism about the entire point of this unusual excercise. Isn?t there enough work to do at home??
The Zipp
Global Moderator

« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2019, 12:56:57 AM »

Here is the order for the three rounds of the CFL?s Mexican draft on Monday. It was based on a weighted lottery.

1 Edmonton
2 Ottawa
3 Montreal
4 Toronto
5 Hamilton
6 Sk
7 BC
8 Wpg
9 Calgary
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2019, 01:22:50 PM »

Once you get past the first couple rounds of the Canadian draft (and especially if you exclude NCAA-trained nationals) the vast majority of those players don't look good in a pro camp either. It's pretty common to see half to two thirds of new draft picks released after training camp. Sounds like there's just not that midrange or development talent that perhaps the CIS has. If the Eskimos can't even be bothered to attend, can we trade them a 7th rounder in the Canadian draft for the first in the Mexican?
Pages: [1] 2 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: