Blue Bombers Forum
March 20, 2019, 09:17:32 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Randle released today  (Read 5515 times)
the paw

« Reply #105 on: January 14, 2019, 01:36:36 PM »

The Edm. Sun is reporting Collaros also made over $500,000 last year, I can't imagine how that could be true given his pitiful showing in Hamilton the year previous, I think he went 0-8 before being replaced by Masoli.

"Reilly and Collaros currently lead the league with annual salaries that have been reported at more than $500,000."

https://edmontonsun.com/sports/football/cfl/edmonton-eskimos/eskimos-qb-reilly-holding-off-on-contract-talks-until-cba-picture-clears

He was at $540k with Hamilton, but after the trade to the Riders, he renegotiated to $430k with more up front.

https://3downnation.com/2018/01/19/details-on-riders-and-zach-collaros-restructured-contract/

grab grass 'n growl
Blue In BC

« Reply #106 on: January 14, 2019, 02:17:21 PM »

He was at $540k with Hamilton, but after the trade to the Riders, he renegotiated to $430k with more up front.

https://3downnation.com/2018/01/19/details-on-riders-and-zach-collaros-restructured-contract/

I'm surprised it's reached that high but IMO it's too large a risk and hamstrings the roster. Not much point paying that much for a QB if you don't have an OL to protect him. Since that's where many starting Canadians play, that seems to be where SMS is given up.

The balancing act has tipped too far in the direction of QB's.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #107 on: January 14, 2019, 05:30:31 PM »

I'm surprised it's reached that high but IMO it's too large a risk and hamstrings the roster. Not much point paying that much for a QB if you don't have an OL to protect him. Since that's where many starting Canadians play, that seems to be where SMS is given up.

The balancing act has tipped too far in the direction of QB's.

agree, QB salary is disproportional to the rest of player salaries and does hamstring a roster and will only get worse until there is a cap on QB salaries, which I don't see happening... being the single most important position on the team, it's easy to see how it happens, it does as well in the NFL... NFL QBs get stupid money, someone like Alex Smith got a 5 year deal for $71M with $55M guaranteed?

However, the NFL is working with a $190M salary cap... huge difference... because when a player becomes a free agent and tells the team he feels he deserves a $100K raise, it's not nearly as hard to find the money. Or, if a west coast player is offered $100K more by a east coast team when he is already making $5.7M, it's not that difficult to stay where they are and play for less if they like their situation... here, $5K is enough to make a guy change teams as it's a lot of money relative to what they make...

Couple QB salaries with the continuing practice of premium national pay against a what is already a tight SMS cap... welll... it's only gonna to get tougher to build a competitive roster and even tougher, if not impossible, to keep a great team together longer than 1 season... and it's not necessarily the high veteran pay that will kill a team, it's the 2nd year player coming off his rookie contract that was making league minimum... because you are a team that is already up against the cap and this player is going to want a substantial raise and you just won't have the money to pay him, or the other 3 or 4, or more, players in the same place...

that's why I said at the beginning of the year that last year, 2018, looked like the best chance to win the Grey Cup because on paper we had a very good team and the chances of keeping this team intact for the 2019 season are small...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #108 on: January 14, 2019, 05:38:03 PM »

Could you imagine a team like the Bombers offering $600K for Reilly so they could trade / cut Nichols.

What would that do to our ability to re-sign all the other players like Bighill, Goossen, Chungh, Demski, JSK and Alexander etc?

We may lose some of this talent already due to SMS issues.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #109 on: January 14, 2019, 05:47:10 PM »

agree, QB salary is disproportional to the rest of player salaries and does hamstring a roster and will only get worse until there is a cap on QB salaries, which I don't see happening... being the single most important position on the team, it's easy to see how it happens, it does as well in the NFL... NFL QBs get stupid money, someone like Alex Smith got a 5 year deal for $71M with $55M guaranteed?

However, the NFL is working with a $190M salary cap... huge difference... because when a player becomes a free agent and tells the team he feels he deserves a $100K raise, it's not nearly as hard to find the money. Or, if a west coast player is offered $100K more by a east coast team when he is already making $5.7M, it's not that difficult to stay where they are and play for less if they like their situation... here, $5K is enough to make a guy change teams as it's a lot of money relative to what they make...

Couple QB salaries with the continuing practice of premium national pay against a what is already a tight SMS cap... welll... it's only gonna to get tougher to build a competitive roster and even tougher, if not impossible, to keep a great team together longer than 1 season... and it's not necessarily the high veteran pay that will kill a team, it's the 2nd year player coming off his rookie contract that was making league minimum... because you are a team that is already up against the cap and this player is going to want a substantial raise and you just won't have the money to pay him, or the other 3 or 4, or more, players in the same place...

that's why I said at the beginning of the year that last year, 2018, looked like the best chance to win the Grey Cup because on paper we had a very good team and the chances of keeping this team intact for the 2019 season are small...

5 yr, 71 mil contract with a 190mil cap is like 7.5% of the cap, whereas 550k in a 5.2mil cap is 10.5% of the cap...  412,000/yr in the CFL would be the equivalent to a 5yr/71mil contract in the NFL.  $550k would be like a 5yr/$100mil contract in the NFL as a percentage of cap...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #110 on: January 14, 2019, 05:50:30 PM »

Yep, the Riders traded for him and so inherited his contract which was based on his once great play before he started getting hurt and has not been the same since.

CJ gambled on him hard and just about everyone here knew it was a dumb move that wouldn't pay off.

This is true but there were plenty of rumours that his contract was re-worked before signing, I guess not.

Looks like the Jacksonville Jaguars worked out Reilly in Dec. and were impressed, Scott Milanovich just happens to be their QB coach.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/01/12/jacksonville-jaguars-mike-reilly-bridge-quarterback-2019/
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #111 on: January 14, 2019, 06:02:15 PM »

This is true but there were plenty of rumours that his contract was re-worked before signing, I guess not.

Looks like the Jacksonville Jaguars worked out Reilly in Dec. and were impressed, Scott Milanovich just happens to be their QB coach.

https://nflspinzone.com/2019/01/12/jacksonville-jaguars-mike-reilly-bridge-quarterback-2019/

He was promoted to interim OC after Hackett was fired in late November.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
booch

« Reply #112 on: January 14, 2019, 06:54:57 PM »

If anything right now with all the uncertainty with QB's around the league..CBA (which actually isn't a big issue for new contracts) we are actually in the driver's seat and looking pretty good in ability to sign who we "want"

We already have 2019 SMS allocated for our QB's and know what we have left to disperse amungst the players we still need to resign, or who we may be targeting. We can make very attractive "best" offers right off the bat, as there could be 3-4 teams competing against each other trying to land the limited number of legit guys as their starter (if they don't sign NFL deals) driving up their prices well beyond whats really practical, as well as most likely over paying for the non-legit guys as well.

That extra 60-100k they may be forced to pay a QB may be the difference in some teams not being able to go ater a high profile guy like Biggie...or a stud receiver. Also these teams will be pretty thin at QB depth as affording a proven back-up who could/should garner 150k or more..will be next to impossible if you don't want to cripple your roster elsewhere.

We basically know that our 3 pivots will cost us about 550-600k total this year..there could very well be 2 teams paying 500k..or well over for just a starter let alone any back-ups...and probably a couple teams paying 300-400k for a putz like Jennings..Glenn..or injury waiting to happen in Lulay....from my view point it looks pretty good for us

Blue In BC

« Reply #113 on: January 14, 2019, 07:42:17 PM »

Yeah, we're in pretty good shape compared to other teams and some of the issues they have with their top free agents.

I'm thinking we must be close to landing some of our top players or conversely knowing we have to move on in another direction.

I don't know how much we've offered Bighill but it's not likely we've got another $100K above what we've offered already. If he's leaving I don't see money as the main reason.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2019, 07:44:36 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #114 on: January 14, 2019, 08:43:38 PM »

there is a reason why there is an issue with finding quality QB's in the wings waiting to play or why there is not a larger available pool to pick from... and the CFL has done it to themselves for the most part...

Blue In BC

« Reply #115 on: January 14, 2019, 09:34:32 PM »

there is a reason why there is an issue with finding quality QB's in the wings waiting to play or why there is not a larger available pool to pick from... and the CFL has done it to themselves for the most part...

What is that reason in your opinion? You're not the first relative newbie that thinks he's figured it out.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2019, 10:40:39 PM »

What is that reason in your opinion? You're not the first relative newbie that thinks he's figured it out.

here it goes, lol...

for me, I have to believe that there are a ton, probably 80 or 90 potential QBs, collectively, that are on the team's negotiation list which in turn, essentially makes 90% unavailable to any one team at any given time... seeing how the intent of the list is to secure the rights of talent that could help your team, I have to believe that the majority of talented QBs that may be available would be on someone's list...

I may be wrong though... but, I find it hard to believe a) since QB is the most important position on a team that there isn't several on the list, and b) that a team would add players to the list that aren't considered potential quality players, or b) they would only add a player that they feel would likely consider coming to the CFL at some point....

not saying 'I figured it out', just offering my opinion as to why I think that there is seemingly a drought of starting quality QBs available to the CFL vs. the number of QBs that graduate each year...

and lastly, I'm hardly a newbie, I've been here almost 2 years, lol... and even so, I doubt any other newbie has put in the work that I have to try and learn and understand the CFL...  Grin

dd

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2019, 12:00:05 AM »

The reason there isn't a ton of quality Qb's waiting in the wings is simple---the risk isn't worth the reward. it isn't worth it for an up and coming Qb to come to Canada, to get paid in a weaker dollar, to move to a different country, and to get a fraction of what he could potentially make in the US.
Blue72

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2019, 01:43:41 PM »

Why would any up and coming QB come to Canada when there are coaches like MOS that refuses to play his backups even when the team is really winning or the game is lost. Most guys would be #3 on the list which gives them very little playing time and less film to get a chance to the NFL.
Most #1 guys get upset when they get pulled which gives your #2 guy very little playing time so for the #3 guy to show something he has to play a double roll on the team, Short yardage or another position or #1 and maybe #2 have to get injures.

So for a young guy to show what he has is very difficult and to hold a clipboard doesn't do very much for his career or supporting his family with a minimum Canadian salary for 2 years and not getting on the field to show what he has.
Blue In BC

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2019, 02:34:12 PM »

Why would any up and coming QB come to Canada when there are coaches like MOS that refuses to play his backups even when the team is really winning or the game is lost. Most guys would be #3 on the list which gives them very little playing time and less film to get a chance to the NFL.
Most #1 guys get upset when they get pulled which gives your #2 guy very little playing time so for the #3 guy to show something he has to play a double roll on the team, Short yardage or another position or #1 and maybe #2 have to get injures.

So for a young guy to show what he has is very difficult and to hold a clipboard doesn't do very much for his career or supporting his family with a minimum Canadian salary for 2 years and not getting on the field to show what he has.

Most coaches in the CFL or even the NFL are reluctant to not allow their # 1 QB to play through rough times. How many back up QB's did you ever get meaningful playing time behind A. Calvillo.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: