Blue Bombers Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:02:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Randle released today  (Read 5633 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2019, 07:47:25 PM »

and some can be injected into the game right away and improve your team... think Patrick Mahomes, sophomore QB who will most likely be named the NFL MVP this year... some players you can get away with throwing them into the fire, some you can't... but, to say as a matter of practice, we don't play young QBs, that there is a specific number of years they have to carry a clipboard in order to play is just crazy stupid...

Odds are that more can't than can especially at the QB position. Streveler was the 1st rookie QB in Winnipeg to start a 1st game of the season since 1968.

In fact he might have been the 1st QB period to start game 1 since 1968.

This isn't the NFL. We don't get to draft and sign QB's the NFL does in the 1st round.

Let me know when we get sign a 1st round 10th pick.

CFL history is strewn with QB's looking good early and being thrown into the fire too soon.

Need a recent name just look at Jennings.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:51:30 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2019, 08:01:01 PM »

Odds are that more can't than can especially at the QB position. Streveler was the 1st rookie QB in Winnipeg to start a 1st game of the season since 1968.

This isn't the NFL. We don't get to draft and sign QB's the NFL does in the 1st round.

oh I know and agree with you about the availability of quality QBs here, which I can't really seem to understand why that is... because I don't care who you are or what you do, $400,000 plus a year is a very significant amount of money! Afterall, I find it hard to believe that there isn't any capable QBs out there wanting to play ball... Anxious to see the quality of QB play in this new league...

Because outside of Streveler or maybe Franklin, Toronto was bad last year, I can't think of another CFL backup QB that I would even consider in lieu of Nichols...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2019, 08:05:26 PM »

oh I know and agree with you about the availability of quality QBs here, which I can't really seem to understand why that is... because I don't care who you are or what you do, $400,000 plus a year is a very significant amount of money! Afterall, I find it hard to believe that there isn't any capable QBs out there wanting to play ball... Anxious to see the quality of QB play in this new league...

Because outside of Streveler or maybe Franklin, Toronto was bad last year, I can't think of another CFL backup QB that I would even consider in lieu of Nichols...

Finding quality QB's has always been a struggle in the CFL.

Franklin is another QB that looked really good early and has now struggled. He was on a bad team last year but some of his flaws came to light.

Going back before your time Casey Printers in Vancouver comes to mind. Early success got him some NFL time but he was an early flame out.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2019, 08:07:57 PM »

CFL history is strewn with QB's looking good early and being thrown into the fire too soon.

I wanted to comment of this as well... this is part of the reason I'm a fan of Strevelers, I'm not sure you can shake this kid, I love his confidence and his energy... for sure didn't play like a rookie, even when he had less than stellar on field results he never seemed to lose confidence...  he really seems like one of those 'give me the ball, coach' players...

and I'll admit, I thought the Chiefs were straight up nuts to start Mahomes this year, and not to mention they put all of their eggs into one basket by letting Alex Smith go as well. To me, Mahomes never had that impressive of a college resume or on field performance to even warrant the Chiefs to trade up to take him the draft in the first place.  Once again the Smith/Nichols comparison, both will probably win you a lot of regular season games, be great managers of the game and the ball, but never win you a championship...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2019, 08:12:12 PM »

Finding quality QB's has always been a struggle in the CFL.

Franklin is another QB that looked really good early and has now struggled. He was on a bad team last year but some of his flaws came to light.

Going back before your time Casey Printers in Vancouver comes to mind. Early success got him some NFL time but he was an early flame out.

I still believe that with the right opportunity and team that Franklin could make someone a very fine QB... My biggest concern about him is his ability to stay healthy, several injuries during his playing time at Mizzou... great arm and vision as well as a very smart kid, but not all that mobile but runs hard, which may have contributed to some of his injuries...

booch

« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2019, 08:18:17 PM »

I have trouble agreeing with any of this. Having a "shutdown corner" is a key part to a dominant D, and I don't think you get them right away for young and cheap. I remember being quite pleased we were able to get Randle from Calgary because he'd shown to be good.

Also, isn't Alexander a better HB (which is arguably a harder position)? And if so, wouldn't we want consistency there?

I am speaking on the coming from U.S ball to Canadian and playing the corner position...it's one of the easier ones to adapt to, especially field corner as the position's skill/techniques/general responsibility is pretty much the same...so it's easier to drop in a fresh faced new guy into that role than most spots on defense with minimal learning curve...Half back is yes..the toughest and a very foreign position to American guys...so when you have a gooder there...you do what you can to keep him. Alexander is a good half, but I think he could be a great corner on field side...and I think Humes has the body type and ability to be dominant on the boundary, so the Randall relese makes sense, especially with Sayles progression this year at half back.

Blue In BC

« Reply #51 on: January 10, 2019, 08:19:39 PM »

I wanted to comment of this as well... this is part of the reason I'm a fan of Strevelers, I'm not sure you can shake this kid, I love his confidence and his energy... for sure didn't play like a rookie, even when he had less than stellar on field results he never seemed to lose confidence...  he really seems like one of those 'give me the ball, coach' players...

and I'll admit, I thought the Chiefs were straight up nuts to start Mahomes this year, and not to mention they put all of their eggs into one basket by letting Alex Smith go as well. To me, Mahomes never had that impressive of a college resume or on field performance to even warrant the Chiefs to trade up to take him the draft in the first place.  Once again the Smith/Nichols comparison, both will probably win you a lot of regular season games, be great managers of the game and the ball, but never win you a championship...

Don't get me wrong, I love what we've seen from Streveler so far.

OTOH if he had been forced into a starting role as Montreal's starting QB how long would he retain his confidence?

He benefited from the good team around him. He also benefited from the play calling allowing safe ball control game management style of play.

I'm not saying Nichols is an average QB. However lets say he is for the moment. Go watch our 1988 and 1990 Grey Cup wins.

In 1988 our QB was average and he still ended up in the NFL. In 1990 our QB was average and won big.

It's a team game and average QB's have won many games including GC's.

Nichols didn't have a great season but the Bombers ended up in the WDF and were not that far off from winning that game.

Had they won, I would have expected them to defeat Ottawa.

Would I rather have BLM or Reilly? Absolutely. Every dollar spent on a QB is a dollar not spent elsewhere.

Small pool of talent of QB's in the CFL at any given time.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2019, 09:15:37 PM »

Don't get me wrong, I love what we've seen from Streveler so far.

OTOH if he had been forced into a starting role as Montreal's starting QB how long would he retain his confidence?

He benefited from the good team around him. He also benefited from the play calling allowing safe ball control game management style of play.

I'm not saying Nichols is an average QB. However lets say he is for the moment. Go watch our 1988 and 1990 Grey Cup wins.

In 1988 our QB was average and he still ended up in the NFL. In 1990 our QB was average and won big.

It's a team game and average QB's have won many games including GC's.

Nichols didn't have a great season but the Bombers ended up in the WDF and were not that far off from winning that game.

Had they won, I would have expected them to defeat Ottawa.

Would I rather have BLM or Reilly? Absolutely. Every dollar spent on a QB is a dollar not spent elsewhere.

Small pool of talent of QB's in the CFL at any given time.

which is another great point as to why I thought now would have been a great time to test the waters so to speak with Streveler, the strength of our O line. Most games they provided very good protection and with Streveler's speed and threat to run... if they over pursue Streveler can beat them with his feet... that's not going to happen with Nichols and defenses know that...

This was the biggest part of the issue experienced with Manziel in Montreal and Franklin in Toronto, horrendous O lines gave both little time to actually perform or to do much other than try to survive...

I don't think Nichols is a bad quarterback, just not one that will be able to take us all of the way... our offensive scheme almost requires a receiver to be open before we can throw, if we would/could spread the field more we could throw more timing passes and receivers would also have more space for after the catch... it seems that almost every reception there are 2 or 3 defenders on them almost immediately, like we are playing in the red zone all game long...

sweep the leg

« Reply #53 on: January 10, 2019, 09:19:25 PM »

Timing is odd on this. We must be going after a younger, cheaper free agent , which is fine, I just would have signed the FA first then released Randal as no way a raw rookie starts there

Imo it's the Bombers showing respect to a veteran. Doing it this way allows Randle to get a jump on fa.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #54 on: January 10, 2019, 09:24:50 PM »

Regarding timing, it could be he had an off-season bonus due soon. It could also be, and is probably pretty likely, they approached him and told him they valued his services at a significantly lower number this year (ie asked if he wanted to take a pay cut) he declined and got released. Not all organizations would act this way. Chris Jones would have probably brought him to camp and cut him.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 09:27:02 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
sweep the leg

« Reply #55 on: January 10, 2019, 09:28:46 PM »

Regarding timing, it could be he had an off-season bonus due soon.

Haven't all offseason bonuses been frozen until the cba is sorted out?

66 Chevelle

« Reply #56 on: January 10, 2019, 09:44:31 PM »

Haven't all offseason bonuses been frozen until the cba is sorted out?

I would have to believe that a bonus due to existing contracts would have to be honored. I would think that the mandate was related to agreeing to new contracts with bonus money tied to them...

Blue In BC

« Reply #57 on: January 10, 2019, 10:50:29 PM »

which is another great point as to why I thought now would have been a great time to test the waters so to speak with Streveler, the strength of our O line. Most games they provided very good protection and with Streveler's speed and threat to run... if they over pursue Streveler can beat them with his feet... that's not going to happen with Nichols and defenses know that...

This was the biggest part of the issue experienced with Manziel in Montreal and Franklin in Toronto, horrendous O lines gave both little time to actually perform or to do much other than try to survive...

I don't think Nichols is a bad quarterback, just not one that will be able to take us all of the way... our offensive scheme almost requires a receiver to be open before we can throw, if we would/could spread the field more we could throw more timing passes and receivers would also have more space for after the catch... it seems that almost every reception there are 2 or 3 defenders on them almost immediately, like we are playing in the red zone all game long...

Here's something to contemplate and it's applied to many young CFL QB's. Often they are very athletic, good runners and elusive: Buck Pierce, T. Lulay, J. Jennings, J. Franklin, Collaros,  B. Bridge to name some current QB's. For Winnipeg it's now Streveler.

Two things generally end up happening.

1. Defenses catch up with their style and start taking away their ability to run. That forces them to become better pocket passers. Some succeed and many more do not.

2. Actual injuries destroyed the career for Pierce. I'd say Lulay and Collaros should retire in the interest of health. All were running QB's.

As a back up QB coaches will allow new QB's to run wild so to speak. Once they become starters they tend to reel them in to hope they are less subject to injuries. Pocket passers get hurt often enough without adding further risk when not necessary.

R. Ray and A.Calvillo were not very good runners. Look at the length of their careers, the success and the general lack of injury history until very late in their careers.

My point partially is that I'm not sure that Streveler is or will quickly transition into a more efficient pocket passer.  CFL season is cumulative on the body. Every hit adds up.

Streveler had 77 rushes and was our 2nd leading rusher. Overall he was 13th in the CFL. All that with limited playing time. I wonder how many hits he absorbed as a passer as well.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 10:58:56 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2019, 12:10:11 AM »

Imo it's the Bombers showing respect to a veteran. Doing it this way allows Randle to get a jump on fa.
True enough, but unless we are CERTAIN we have a superior replacement, I would have kept him until we did. It's great we're doing good by him to release him early, I just hope we have a capable replacement vs hope to sign someone and end up with someone inferior and Randal moves onto another team. My priority would be to ensure we get better, and until we have someone better, I wouldn't have released him.
blue girl

« Reply #59 on: January 11, 2019, 12:23:42 AM »

You don't even have to go to the rest of the league. Just look at some of the QBs we've had here the last 20 years.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: