Blue Bombers Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:02:33 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  
Author Topic: Chris Randle released today  (Read 5632 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 03:20:33 PM »

Great player, but the time is right.  He could probably play another year or two by flopping over to field corner, but given his contract it?s better to break clean.

If he wants to keep playing, he might find a role as a DI veteran somewhere, like Lin-J Shell did. The early release gives him a jump on free agency to explore the option. 

Money aside I was hoping we'd flip him over to field corner and add a top CB on his normal spot.

Obviously his salary didn't allow that. With Fogg, Alexander and Loffler also potential free agents, this is an interesting decision.

I understand it but this is still a surprise.

Breaux is a potential free agent.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 03:22:28 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
drahgon

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 04:55:07 PM »

Similar situation to what happened with Jovon Johnson years before. Cut for salary cap reasons and he went on to have productive years with other teams.

I liked Randall, was a great player for our team and wish him the best in the future. The business side of pro-sports is tough.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 04:56:36 PM »

A lot of D-leadership has left the dressing room in the last few years, Westerman, Leggett and now Randle were all leaders and spokesman for the D, they **** well better re-sign Bighill.
buckzumhoff

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:59 PM »

They should have kept him.  If they try to put someone at his position for cheaper salary ,signing Bighill isn't going to help the secondary .they pay Medlock one of the highest and they cut a veteran who isn't the highest paid.  Wrong move at this time of year. Maybe they will start the younger players and play Cooper and Sayles as starters.
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 05:05:09 PM »

No doubt Randle can still play and I expect he will sign elsewhere before TC. It's a tough business but we all understand the WHY of the decision.

Good luck to him where ever he ends up. He was a consummate player in Winnipeg.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2019, 06:37:24 PM »

the whole 'value over money' pill is hard to swallow when you're paying Nichols $450K... you could stock the cupboard with that kind of coin...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
blue newt

« Reply #36 on: January 10, 2019, 06:50:52 PM »

The more I think of this, the more I can't help but think that we really need leadership and skill in our secondary, and we had that with Randle.  I understand needing more money elsewhere, but surely Randle held more value than Fenner, and how much were we paying him to sit on Specials?

Hoping the team has an ace up their sleeve for that position...

booch

« Reply #37 on: January 10, 2019, 06:56:53 PM »

the whole 'value over money' pill is hard to swallow when you're paying Nichols $450K... you could stock the cupboard with that kind of coin...

Yes and no...would you prefer to spend that on a Collaros..or Glenn...or Jennings...which is likely what those guys are gonna get from a few desperate teams this year...and that is truly funny...

Nichols of 2017 earned that salary..last year not so much, but I am inclined to attribute a lot of that to coming back too soon..then feeling the heat from Streveler and forcing things when he still wasn't ready...that being said...if we continue to see the same sort of sub-par stuff in the first 3-5 games, and he looks tentative and like he is still playing in mud, then he HAS to see the pine and we see how much Streveler has progressed
66 Chevelle

« Reply #38 on: January 10, 2019, 07:05:06 PM »

Yes and no...would you prefer to spend that on a Collaros..or Glenn...or Jennings...which is likely what those guys are gonna get from a few desperate teams this year...and that is truly funny...

Nichols of 2017 earned that salary..last year not so much, but I am inclined to attribute a lot of that to coming back too soon..then feeling the heat from Streveler and forcing things when he still wasn't ready...that being said...if we continue to see the same sort of sub-par stuff in the first 3-5 games, and he looks tentative and like he is still playing in mud, then he HAS to see the pine and we see how much Streveler has progressed

Streveler isn't going to get better sitting on the bench, or the coming in on the short game stuff... going to have to bite the bullet some time... or, give Nichols the option to restructure his deal and play more of a dual QB scheme... I know that Streveler may not be completely ready to be thrown into the fire, but, how is that different than continuing to have present a team that can't seem to get to the GC for the sake of a decent record for the year?  I'd much rather struggle for a few games/half a season and go into the playoffs with a 9-9 record but with a QB capable of winning it all for you...

I get excited every time Streve comes into the game because you never know what you may get... like last year, 2nd short, homerun to Lankford... plus, I'd rather lose the game and have a dynamic, exciting offense then continue down this road of 2nd and 7 and we throw a screen pass...

booch

« Reply #39 on: January 10, 2019, 07:10:21 PM »

couldn't agree more..Nichols has to be on a short rope....Streveler learned a lot last year already and got huge amount of snaps...he is the furthest thing away from a green horn young QB as you can get...plus the offense seems to feed off him and pick their game up as well
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #40 on: January 10, 2019, 07:27:48 PM »

I get what you're saying and totally agree based on his abysmal 2018 season. However, it's comparatively easier to replace a DB than it is a QB.

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #41 on: January 10, 2019, 07:34:49 PM »

Streveler isn't going to get better sitting on the bench, or the coming in on the short game stuff... going to have to bite the bullet some time... or, give Nichols the option to restructure his deal and play more of a dual QB scheme... I know that Streveler may not be completely ready to be thrown into the fire, but, how is that different than continuing to have present a team that can't seem to get to the GC for the sake of a decent record for the year?  I'd much rather struggle for a few games/half a season and go into the playoffs with a 9-9 record but with a QB capable of winning it all for you...

I get excited every time Streve comes into the game because you never know what you may get... like last year, 2nd short, homerun to Lankford... plus, I'd rather lose the game and have a dynamic, exciting offense then continue down this road of 2nd and 7 and we throw a screen pass...

Not true. QB's improve and learn as back ups even in practice. They study game film on opponents etc. Players at every position do this.

It's not uncommon for OL as an example to have long development curves. They sit on the PR, IR's or as 6th or 7th OL improving as time goes by.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:39:48 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #42 on: January 10, 2019, 07:36:32 PM »

I get what you're saying and totally agree based on his abysmal 2018 season. However, it's comparatively easier to replace a DB than it is a QB.

you are 100% correct but it still doesn't make it taste any better, lol...

we saw our defense make a whole sale change this year, just having visions of it reverting back to shades of 2017, or worse... if we lose Loffler, Bighill, JSK, and have already cut Randle, may not make a difference who is QB1...

66 Chevelle

« Reply #43 on: January 10, 2019, 07:42:20 PM »

Not true. QB's improve and learn as back ups even in practice.

and some can be injected into the game right away and improve your team... think Patrick Mahomes, sophomore QB who will most likely be named the NFL MVP this year... some players you can get away with throwing them into the fire, some you can't... but, to say as a matter of practice, we don't play young QBs, that there is a specific number of years they have to carry a clipboard in order to play is just crazy stupid...

blue_or_die

« Reply #44 on: January 10, 2019, 07:46:53 PM »

value over worth...he just wasn't worth what he costs now...he is 30...time to make the move, but always tough when it is with a true pro and dedicated Bomber..150k can go a long way elsewhere to keep the defence a strong spot (JSK/bIGGIE/jEFFCOAT)

Also corner is one of the easiest...if not easiest defensive positions to fill on a CFL defense with a rookie American....and I have every reason to believe Alexander will be back this year to hold down one of the corner spots, and he is/has turned into a pretty consistently dominant corner..

I have trouble agreeing with any of this. Having a "shutdown corner" is a key part to a dominant D, and I don't think you get them right away for young and cheap. I remember being quite pleased we were able to get Randle from Calgary because he'd shown to be good.

Also, isn't Alexander a better HB (which is arguably a harder position)? And if so, wouldn't we want consistency there?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 12
  Print  

Jump to: