Blue Bombers Forum
January 18, 2019, 06:08:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Agree to Terms With Long Snapper Chad Rempel on Two-year Extension  (Read 1166 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »

I too like Conteh. He's been listed as a corner while here but I really was hoping he'd get a chance over Hecht when Loffler went down.

I like Conteh as well. Is he ready? Will he work out well? Hard to say and he got so little reps in games. He wasn't even the the next safety on the depth chart. Jones and Morgan were probably next until they got hurt then Hecht was added.

I can't say Conteh couldn't be successful any more than saying he could struggle for a year or more.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:02:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »

I too like Conteh. He's been listed as a corner while here but I really was hoping he'd get a chance over Hecht when Loffler went down.
I think that Hecht got the nod basically due to experience at that juncture of the season...we were in no way guaranteed a spot in play-offs yet so we went the safer route
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »

I think that Hecht got the nod basically due to experience at that juncture of the season...we were in no way guaranteed a spot in play-offs yet so we went the safer route

True enough. Just making the point that Jones or Morgan before injury were veteran players and neither really pushed Loffler when push came to shove when Loffler became the starter.

That happened around game 5 IIRC.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »

Well up until now he was on an ELC so he wasn't expensive.

In the other string you've essentially agreed with Booch that Demski is more of a want than a need.

That suggests Petermann and Simonise ( largely untested so far ) as starters. That leaves us nobody currently on the roster as depth at receiver.

The mandate should be to find a way to retain our best Canadians.

to a point I guess, but if it is at the expense of the rest of our core talent it would seem that this may have to be the area where 'tough choices have to be made'...

Prior to last year I would have been in the same boat, we have to re-sign Demski as he is our best national receiver, however, with the year that Woli had I think he is our best national receiver, he was second on the team with yards and was with considerably fewer targets than others... I guess the question would be, can he play in the slot and support Harris too?

I've thought about this for some time now and I know it happens every year, the whole ratio discussion which nobody wants but... no discussion necessary unless you want to, but, just think about this as an alternative...

instead of having a league minimum of national starters that everyone has to do, which creates a bidding war for players that eventually nobody will be able to afford... why not reduce or eliminate the required number of national starters and instead, allow a team a premium based on the number of nationals they start, like more SMS money... if we truly want to develop national talent I see this is the way to do so. As of now there is actually little incentive to do so, however, if you gave teams additional SMS cap based upon the number of nationals they start you have the incentive to do so as you're able to keep your other core players as well...

either way, something is going to have to give because there will come a point in time where the need to overpay national talent to meet league minimum numbers will keep teams for being able to pay any other players anything about minimum. In the world of supply and demand the only way to keep the cost reasonable is to have enough supply, currently not the case...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

to a point I guess, but if it is at the expense of the rest of our core talent it would seem that this may have to be the area where 'tough choices have to be made'...

Prior to last year I would have been in the same boat, we have to re-sign Demski as he is our best national receiver, however, with the year that Woli had I think he is our best national receiver, he was second on the team with yards and was with considerably fewer targets than others... I guess the question would be, can he play in the slot and support Harris too?

I've thought about this for some time now and I know it happens every year, the whole ratio discussion which nobody wants but... no discussion necessary unless you want to, but, just think about this as an alternative...

instead of having a league minimum of national starters that everyone has to do, which creates a bidding war for players that eventually nobody will be able to afford... why not reduce or eliminate the required number of national starters and instead, allow a team a premium based on the number of nationals they start, like more SMS money... if we truly want to develop national talent I see this is the way to do so. As of now there is actually little incentive to do so, however, if you gave teams additional SMS cap based upon the number of nationals they start you have the incentive to do so as you're able to keep your other core players as well...

either way, something is going to have to give because there will come a point in time where the need to overpay national talent to meet league minimum numbers will keep teams for being able to pay any other players anything about minimum. In the world of supply and demand the only way to keep the cost reasonable is to have enough supply, currently not the case...

I've never been a fan of the ratio so suggesting less Canadian starters is easy for me to agree about. OTOH I've been around since roster size was 32 and there were only 15 imports. That included a back up QB and most imports played both sides of the ball.

I think the development solution has to be more at the university level, not the CFL level. In theory more people in the stands creates more money for better coaching and development.

Anyway there are some strong ratio supporters so they'd never agree with that idea.

One idea I do like which also won't fly with most. It's kind of a two fold thought.

1. Allow all 46 players to dress.
2. Add two more DI's as part of that by decreasing the total number of Canadian back ups.

Imports are difficult to replace in game and long term as well. This would help them be in game and game ready when changes are necessary.

Who are we kidding. Players are " hidden " on IR lists to develop them so it's just another version of expanding the roster.

Do we really need 21 Canadians of which 14 are back ups. We start 17 Imports with only 2 back ups at QB and 4 DI's.  Math makes no sense IMO.

No more excuses.
blue newt

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:17 AM »

I agree that the constantly rising rates of national talent contracts may start impeding the ability of recruiting quality INT talent.  I think it's sustainable at the moment, but not long term.  I don't think the solution is canning the ratio altogether, though.  Instead, I think it might be wise to incur a NAT cap.  Teams can spend less than a certain percentage of their budget on their nationals, but not over.  As a result, some nationals may just price themselves out of the market and have to ask for a more reasonable rate.  OR, if you want to include the constantly inflating quarterback salaries as not being in line with the rest of the team in that, maybe just impose an individual player cap.  Can't see the player's union going for it, though.  Even though, in the long run, more players would benefit in either proposed scenario, because it might allow the league minimum to rise.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »

Lost Leggett & Randle so far. Possibly losing Alexander and Loffler and even Fogg could make the secondary a giant question mark in 2019.

Alexander is the must-keep out of that bunch.  He didn't start out so hot, but MOS knew he had a grower, and Alexander didn't disappoint.  And I'm pretty sure he's still only costing a small $$ (relatively).  I really can't recall any bad screw-ups by Alexander in '18.  And he even caught that OSK for us in the MTL Miracle Game.  I think he'll get even better in '19.

Loffler is also a keeper, no disrespect to booch.  Only if he demands the world should he bet let go.  My hunch is he's back for '19.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »

Alexander is the must-keep out of that bunch.  He didn't start out so hot, but MOS knew he had a grower, and Alexander didn't disappoint.  And I'm pretty sure he's still only costing a small $$ (relatively).  I really can't recall any bad screw-ups by Alexander in '18.  And he even caught that OSK for us in the MTL Miracle Game.  I think he'll get even better in '19.

Loffler is also a keeper, no disrespect to booch.  Only if he demands the world should he bet let go.  My hunch is he's back for '19.

If Alexander doesn't get any NFL offers I think he'll be back. He was really impressive in 2018 and still has upside.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

Alexander I think is one of our best DB's..and yes he is getting and will be even better this year..he battled a bit of injury issues early on this year as well.
With him and Sayles we have a good nucleus to build on, and I really liked what I see of Humes in practice and the game he got to start....can see him being a dominant DB.

Technogenius...no worries I never feel disrespected by others opinions..Loffler is good...but not 130k+ good, whereas you are going to have to cut costs with a lesser talent elsewhere. The position he plays is the easiest one in Canadian ball to hide your weakest player and over history that was generally the only position in a defensive backfield a Canadian would play, though times have changed a bit now...and truth be told Loffler is brutal in coverage and and doesn't get the best breaks on balls...and in games where he was injured and didn't play...was not missed at all really...don't get me wrong..I like the guy but if it is at the expense of an O-lineman, or resigning Biggie AND JSK then we need to walk away...
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »

Humes looked good in the game he played and the Esks were playing starters for the most part. So he has a good chance to be in the competition for a role in 2019.

Obviously things depend on who we lose and other players brought in for TC. But he earned a shot at TC at this point.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »

One thing that Loffler does know how to do is to tackle... he led the team in '17 in tackles and was 5th this year while missing 2 games, plus he had 3 interceptions... oh, and he is our only starting national defensive player...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
kkc60

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »

One thing that Loffler does know how to do is to tackle... he led the team in '17 in tackles and was 5th this year while missing 2 games, plus he had 3 interceptions... oh, and he is our only starting national defensive player...
I'd argue he is tougher to replace than Demski. Only other Canadian options we have on D right now who are under contract for next year are Firlotte at SAM or safety, Conteh at corner or safety, Briggs at linebacker or Thomas at DT. And that's just starters
blue girl

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »

IMO Loffler was a better tackler before that UR penalty in the 16 WF. He may be our only starting Canadian on defence right now but that can change. I wouldn't break the bank to sign him though. For me the top priority signings are Bighill and JSK.
Waffler

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »

Bighill or JSK (we need at least one) and then Loffler. Loffler is a 26 year old Nat. All Star. Can't replace that.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »

One player I liked in Calgary is Adeleke. He seems to have some skills at safety. Whether he leaves Calgary and what his salary might be I don't know.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: