Blue Bombers Forum
March 26, 2019, 12:01:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Agree to Terms With Long Snapper Chad Rempel on Two-year Extension  (Read 1680 times)
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »

We haven't signed a single core player yet though, unless you want to count Medlock.

Edit: Forgot about Bryant and Hardrick...my bad.

Yes I understand that but locking up the Canadian depth is still a critical aspect of the team.

I've been wondering exactly where we'll get the money to re-sign key players: Goossen,Chungh, Demski, Alexander, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Loffler and JSK. A few other good players like Couture and Gauthier.

Many posters felt we maxed out the 2018 SMS so something has to give. Some speculation has been made about not bringing back Lafrance or Okpalaugo.

Others like Nevis, Flanders, Plesius, Hecht, Lankford, Foketi, Wild, Dressler might be SMS victims.

Obviously Chris Randle was a step towards re-shuffling the SMS even though he wasn't one I had initially expected to be released.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

I can't see Lafrance and his 100k+ contract back next year..seeing as we signed Augustine already at probably a very SMS friendly deal..Nevis was a very reasonable 120k and can see him back for a small bump on a 1 yr deal again...and Bryant is back with his entry level deal, and I believe Roh signed for a friendly amount as well...90kish

Chris Randall's 150k this year will help in bumping up a Bighill and or JSK...We had biggie at 185k last year, and JSK at an entry level 54k most likely..so Biggie will probably take a additional 40k or so, and JSK most likely a 45k or so bump..so the savings on Lafrance vs Augustine contracts, and Randall vs most likely a rookie, or possible 2nd year guy more than covers those bumps in salary, as well as covering some of a guy like Jeffcoats bump...especially if Opo is off the books though he did renegotiate a friendly deal last year, and wants to be here, so he could be had at a more cap friendly price this year, and his leadership and work ethic is invaluable

Loffler I don't think is an actual need and his position can be covered quite easily, and if his price is creeping into the 120k+ area, you have to cut bait..thats too much money tied into a safety when thats an easy position to fill..probably the easiest on defense.. and that extra money he would cost is better served locking down Alexander, or grabbing a proven free agent CB if thats the route we choose, but I really like Humes and he is in an entry level deal and I think he is in 2019 plans to be honest..has great field side corner body type and measurable's

Wild if he wants to come back is playing on the cheap, and cap casualties this year will most likely be guys like Couture, Flanders, Lankford and and possibly Foketti and replaced on the roster by entry level guys

the paw

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »

Yes I understand that but locking up the Canadian depth is still a critical aspect of the team.

I've been wondering exactly where we'll get the money to re-sign key players: Goossen,Chungh, Demski, Alexander, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Loffler and JSK. A few other good players like Couture and Gauthier.

Many posters felt we maxed out the 2018 SMS so something has to give. Some speculation has been made about not bringing back Lafrance or Okpalaugo.

Others like Nevis, Flanders, Plesius, Hecht, Lankford, Foketi, Wild, Dressler might be SMS victims.

Obviously Chris Randle was a step towards re-shuffling the SMS even though he wasn't one I had initially expected to be released.

None of the bolded guys are likely to be much of a salary saving, their replacements are going to be virtually the same cost.  Maybe Nevis, but I think we just re-signed him.

We will have $70k from the Durant fiasco, and we should save at least $40k on Randle.  Maybe a little more if Fenner plays the corner and is replaced by a rookie.  I think Booch is right that LaFrance won't be back at the same price, so we should see a small saving there.  Dressler is probably a SMS casualty. 

I think we paid Bighill $175k, and we might be able to keep him for $195-$200k.  So I think there is some money left to pay some guys.  Neither Goosen or Chung is coming off an entry deal, so they are already at solid money.  They will get raises, but may not break the bank.  Couture is probably gone, given the signing of Gray. 

I think Santos Knox will be tricky to hang on to without spending some cash.  Jeffcoat would see a healthy raise as well.  Loffler is a 3 time all-star, open the wallet. 

I guess the bottom line is that we can probably hang on to most of our guys, but are unlikely to be able to go shopping for a big name receiver or the like. 

grab grass 'n growl
Tehedra

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »

Mexican receivers are what we are looking for then?  Tongue
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »

I can't see Lafrance and his 100k+ contract back next year..seeing as we signed Augustine already at probably a very SMS friendly deal..Nevis was a very reasonable 120k and can see him back for a small bump on a 1 yr deal again...and Bryant is back with his entry level deal, and I believe Roh signed for a friendly amount as well...90kish

Chris Randall's 150k this year will help in bumping up a Bighill and or JSK...We had biggie at 185k last year, and JSK at an entry level 54k most likely..so Biggie will probably take a additional 40k or so, and JSK most likely a 45k or so bump..so the savings on Lafrance vs Augustine contracts, and Randall vs most likely a rookie, or possible 2nd year guy more than covers those bumps in salary, as well as covering some of a guy like Jeffcoats bump...especially if Opo is off the books though he did renegotiate a friendly deal last year, and wants to be here, so he could be had at a more cap friendly price this year, and his leadership and work ethic is invaluable

Loffler I don't think is an actual need and his position can be covered quite easily, and if his price is creeping into the 120k+ area, you have to cut bait..thats too much money tied into a safety when thats an easy position to fill..probably the easiest on defense.. and that extra money he would cost is better served locking down Alexander, or grabbing a proven free agent CB if thats the route we choose, but I really like Humes and he is in an entry level deal and I think he is in 2019 plans to be honest..has great field side corner body type and measurable's

Wild if he wants to come back is playing on the cheap, and cap casualties this year will most likely be guys like Couture, Flanders, Lankford and and possibly Foketti and replaced on the roster by entry level guys

You keep saying Loffler is not an actual need. Unless we gain a Canadian starter somewhere else he's is an absolute need. Obviously safety is an easy position to fill with an import. It's all about the ratio aspect.

I agree LaFrance won't be back in all probability even if he takes a pay cut. Augustine takes that role at least in the short term.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:44:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »

None of the bolded guys are likely to be much of a salary saving, their replacements are going to be virtually the same cost.  Maybe Nevis, but I think we just re-signed him.

We will have $70k from the Durant fiasco, and we should save at least $40k on Randle.  Maybe a little more if Fenner plays the corner and is replaced by a rookie.  I think Booch is right that LaFrance won't be back at the same price, so we should see a small saving there.  Dressler is probably a SMS casualty. 

I think we paid Bighill $175k, and we might be able to keep him for $195-$200k.  So I think there is some money left to pay some guys.  Neither Goosen or Chung is coming off an entry deal, so they are already at solid money.  They will get raises, but may not break the bank.  Couture is probably gone, given the signing of Gray. 

I think Santos Knox will be tricky to hang on to without spending some cash.  Jeffcoat would see a healthy raise as well.  Loffler is a 3 time all-star, open the wallet. 

I guess the bottom line is that we can probably hang on to most of our guys, but are unlikely to be able to go shopping for a big name receiver or the like. 

Not all the players we want to bring back will decide to come back. Whether that is due to NFL opportunities to testing CFL free agency.

Bryant, Hardrick and Medlock probably had some incremental bumps.

Our list of top talent potentially reaching free agency means re-signing them will cost more. Adjustments will be made as required.

Fenner must now be a certainty to be a starter somewhere in 2019 so that's not a direct additional cost. We probably see a rookie as a DI so there will be a net savings with Randle's departure.

EDIT: We've also trimmed Leggett's salary by releasing him earlier. Even though some of that may have been sheltered in 2018 on IR, it's still not going to be part of the 2019 SMS. So that's significant.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:03:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »

Lofgfler is not a need at a high price...We can filed a Canadian at safety with no real drop off save for a huge hit here and there in a more cost effective way either in house now, through the draft or via free agency.

Loffler sucks in coverage in a huge way, and his lumbering style and tight hips make him a detriment on the field in coverage aspects...proof is in the pudding in a lot of the deep balls we get burned on over the years...It wasn't necessarily a "Richie hall" scheme issue...it was a personnel issue.

Watch Loffler try to flip his hips and run with a receiver...it's ugly as he cant...and yeah he has the big hits, or used to, but 9 times out of 10 it was he was late getting to the ball and made the big hit "after" the receiver made the catch...hardly a difference making play other than being a sexy highlite.

Sure he was an all-star..but it was basically because all the other teams played their weakest, and most times cheaper option there, because a safety who can react, and flow to the ball and have the speed/quickness to meet ball where it is to be caught is not a hard gem to find...coverage skill and ball hawking athleticism is more important there than a thumper who arrives after the fact...and if we Jones or Conteh can do it at half the price tag, or a rookie out of the draft...you make that move if it means BIGGIE...JSK...Jeffcoat are on the field..they will have more impact than Loffler..

Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »

Lofgfler is not a need at a high price...We can filed a Canadian at safety with no real drop off save for a huge hit here and there in a more cost effective way either in house now, through the draft or via free agency.

Loffler sucks in coverage in a huge way, and his lumbering style and tight hips make him a detriment on the field in coverage aspects...proof is in the pudding in a lot of the deep balls we get burned on over the years...It wasn't necessarily a "Richie hall" scheme issue...it was a personnel issue.

Watch Loffler try to flip his hips and run with a receiver...it's ugly as he cant...and yeah he has the big hits, or used to, but 9 times out of 10 it was he was late getting to the ball and made the big hit "after" the receiver made the catch...hardly a difference making play other than being a sexy highlite.

Sure he was an all-star..but it was basically because all the other teams played their weakest, and most times cheaper option there, because a safety who can react, and flow to the ball and have the speed/quickness to meet ball where it is to be caught is not a hard gem to find...coverage skill and ball hawking athleticism is more important there than a thumper who arrives after the fact...and if we Jones or Conteh can do it at half the price tag, or a rookie out of the draft...you make that move if it means BIGGIE...JSK...Jeffcoat are on the field..they will have more impact than Loffler..

And yet NONE of the other Canadian back up safeties we had could beat Loffler out. That plug and play kid of aspect by O'Shea got us Hurl as our starting MLB in 2017 for similar money you suggest Loffler would get.

I'm all for another Canadian player at 1/2 the cost if we have one or find one.

Lost Leggett & Randle so far. Possibly losing Alexander and Loffler and even Fogg could make the secondary a giant question mark in 2019.

As you said Loffler was an all star. They get more money as do starting Canadians in general.

Another poster suggested Boateng. I'd gladly switch the money over for him as opposed to Loffler & Oko.

I'm not hooked to the hip for Loffler if a better alternative is found. Dropping in another Canadian safety like Jones or Conteh hasn't convinced me.

Loffler was our 5th leading tackler. With Randle now gone, he'd be 4th of those remaining.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:22:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »

Gotta keep your best Canadians. Loffler has to be a priority. A good safety isn't that noticeable in our scheme but you can bet a below average one would be. Obviously, his demand has to be within reason but he's probably justified in asking to be one of, if not the highest, paid safety in the league.
Blue72

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »

Not sure what kind of increase the Nichols is getting this year so he would probably be eating up the money that we had from Durrant or another SMS hit. With the money he is getting this year he better look a lot better then last year and also try to spread the ball to ALL his receivers and less out of bounds.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

I have to believe that if there were a cheaper, equivalent, Canadian option available at safety we would have already been doing so... have to address the ratio first, in my opinion or we may be starting 3 national receivers...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
booch

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »

or if Nichols was smart and/or a true team guy who wants to win..re-structure his deal a bit to help[ the team out ...tho he is due what..450k this year??..to be honest still reasonable for arguably a top 4 QB in the league...and if BLM and or Reilly bolt...his value actually goes up...when you look at his record since he was a starter here all he seems to do is win..and for 2 years of that with a real crappy defense that hemorrhaged points
booch

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

I really like Conteh as the safety of the future..and maybe his future is now..good pedigree...good NCAA training and very athletic...he played corner in school so he can cover and had a rep as a big hitter in college at Grambling..he's entering yr 3 now...time to step up
kkc60

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »

I really like Conteh as the safety of the future..and maybe his future is now..good pedigree...good NCAA training and very athletic...he played corner in school so he can cover and had a rep as a big hitter in college at Grambling..he's entering yr 3 now...time to step up
I too like Conteh. He's been listed as a corner while here but I really was hoping he'd get a chance over Hecht when Loffler went down.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »

I have to believe that if there were a cheaper, equivalent, Canadian option available at safety we would have already been doing so... have to address the ratio first, in my opinion or we may be starting 3 national receivers...

Well up until now he was on an ELC so he wasn't expensive.

In the other string you've essentially agreed with Booch that Demski is more of a want than a need.

That suggests Petermann and Simonise ( largely untested so far ) as starters. That leaves us nobody currently on the roster as depth at receiver.

The mandate should be to find a way to retain our best Canadians.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:31:35 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All
  Print  

Jump to: