Blue Bombers Forum
January 18, 2019, 06:07:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  
Author Topic: Bombers Agree to Terms With Long Snapper Chad Rempel on Two-year Extension  (Read 1164 times)
Sir Blue and Gold

« on: January 09, 2019, 01:41:17 PM »

BOMBERS INK LONG SNAPPER REMPEL

WINNIPEG - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers have signed national long snapper Chad Rempel to a two-year contract, the team announced Wednesday.

Rempel was scheduled to become a free agent next month.

The 2019 season will be Rempel's fifth with Winnipeg after signing as a free agent prior to the 2015 campaign. Rempel returns to work with kicker Justin Medlock, who has been named the team?s Most Outstanding Special Teams Player for three consecutive seasons. He has appeared in all 72 regular season games and four postseason contests as a Bomber.

"Chad brings an extreme wealth of special teams knowledge to the field, locker room and meeting rooms,? said General Manager Kyle Walters. "Most importantly, he is as good as anybody in our league at what he does and is a big piece of our kicking game."

Rempel has played 197 career regular season CFL games, 12 playoff games and one Grey Cup. The long snapper started his career with Winnipeg in 2005 and moved on to play seven seasons for Toronto and one for Hamilton (2008) before spending the 2013 season with the Chicago Bears. He returned to the CFL for the last half of the 2014 season with Saskatchewan. The 2019 season will be Rempel's 15th in the CFL.

https://www.cfl.ca/2019/01/09/bombers-ink-long-snapper-rempel/
https://www.bluebombers.com/2019/01/09/bombers-agree-terms-long-snapper-chad-rempel-two-year-extension/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 01:45:40 PM by Sir Blue and Gold » Logged
blue_gold_84

Fort Hew

« Reply #1 on: January 09, 2019, 02:11:42 PM »

Another really good signing!

#forthew

#risetogether

You can't fix stupid.
Blue In BC

« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2019, 02:13:15 PM »

Excellent. He's the best in his role in the CFL.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2019, 03:31:48 PM »

So, we have an amazing ST battery under contract.  Well done.  Noe lets start working down the lines...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2019, 03:36:19 PM »

Great to see the foot soldiers lining up to get back on the bus for another run.

Must see video on Chad's twitter page.

When the Bombers asked me if I was going to retire...

https://twitter.com/Remp82
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:38:28 PM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
Knocker42

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2019, 04:52:01 PM »

Great to see the foot soldiers lining up to get back on the bus for another run.

Absolutely agree about the foot-soldiers.  A team can have all the stars it wants but without those solid, reliable special teamers and backups, things can get tough.  These unheralded players make the job so much easier for the big names (who are also necessary, of course)
We should not be surprised that Miller, Walters and O'Shea place so much emphasis on this part of the team since Miller and Walters were both in that mold themselves and O'Shea was a top special teamer in addition to being a starter on D. I, for one, am happy to see the team being built on these solid foundations.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2019, 07:13:27 PM »

Hopefully these signing are the warm up what will be the main workout with Biggie and JSK and a dynamic kick returner.

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
blue girl

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2019, 08:29:13 PM »

Great signing. I kind of figured that once we had Medlock Rempel wouldn't be far behind.
Pigskin

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 08:48:37 PM »

One a day. I like Walters pace. Keep it up MR. Walters.
theaardvark

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 09:42:01 PM »

One a day. I like Walters pace. Keep it up MR. Walters.

Have to wonder if these were all done, and they are just rolling them out one by one to keep the Bombers in the news...

We've locked down more players than anyone so far...  Wink

MTL  - 3
OTT - 7
TOR - 4
HAM - 2
WPG - 8
SSK - 3
CGY - 1  (5 released to NFL opportunities)
EDM - 0 (4 released to NFL opportunities)
BC - 2

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 09:49:28 PM »

Have to wonder if these were all done, and they are just rolling them out one by one to keep the Bombers in the news...

We've locked down more players than anyone so far...  Wink

MTL  - 3
OTT - 7
TOR - 4
HAM - 2
WPG - 8
SSK - 3
CGY - 1  (5 released to NFL opportunities)
EDM - 0 (4 released to NFL opportunities)
BC - 2

We also started with the least potential free agents so this has been good work so far.

No more excuses.
GCn18

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 11:47:06 PM »

We also started with the least potential free agents so this has been good work so far.

We haven't signed a single core player yet though, unless you want to count Medlock.

Edit: Forgot about Bryant and Hardrick...my bad.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Pigskin

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 11:49:27 PM »

Yes, I would say Medlock is a core player.
blue newt

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2019, 02:33:28 AM »

Cheesy

Jake Thomas' reply to that twitter video is pretty good, too.  Cheesy

TecnoGenius

« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2019, 06:02:06 AM »

Rempel, my favorite kicking-crew player.  Great news.  Keep 'em coming Walters!
Blue In BC

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2019, 03:30:41 PM »

We haven't signed a single core player yet though, unless you want to count Medlock.

Edit: Forgot about Bryant and Hardrick...my bad.

Yes I understand that but locking up the Canadian depth is still a critical aspect of the team.

I've been wondering exactly where we'll get the money to re-sign key players: Goossen,Chungh, Demski, Alexander, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Loffler and JSK. A few other good players like Couture and Gauthier.

Many posters felt we maxed out the 2018 SMS so something has to give. Some speculation has been made about not bringing back Lafrance or Okpalaugo.

Others like Nevis, Flanders, Plesius, Hecht, Lankford, Foketi, Wild, Dressler might be SMS victims.

Obviously Chris Randle was a step towards re-shuffling the SMS even though he wasn't one I had initially expected to be released.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2019, 03:49:23 PM »

I can't see Lafrance and his 100k+ contract back next year..seeing as we signed Augustine already at probably a very SMS friendly deal..Nevis was a very reasonable 120k and can see him back for a small bump on a 1 yr deal again...and Bryant is back with his entry level deal, and I believe Roh signed for a friendly amount as well...90kish

Chris Randall's 150k this year will help in bumping up a Bighill and or JSK...We had biggie at 185k last year, and JSK at an entry level 54k most likely..so Biggie will probably take a additional 40k or so, and JSK most likely a 45k or so bump..so the savings on Lafrance vs Augustine contracts, and Randall vs most likely a rookie, or possible 2nd year guy more than covers those bumps in salary, as well as covering some of a guy like Jeffcoats bump...especially if Opo is off the books though he did renegotiate a friendly deal last year, and wants to be here, so he could be had at a more cap friendly price this year, and his leadership and work ethic is invaluable

Loffler I don't think is an actual need and his position can be covered quite easily, and if his price is creeping into the 120k+ area, you have to cut bait..thats too much money tied into a safety when thats an easy position to fill..probably the easiest on defense.. and that extra money he would cost is better served locking down Alexander, or grabbing a proven free agent CB if thats the route we choose, but I really like Humes and he is in an entry level deal and I think he is in 2019 plans to be honest..has great field side corner body type and measurable's

Wild if he wants to come back is playing on the cheap, and cap casualties this year will most likely be guys like Couture, Flanders, Lankford and and possibly Foketti and replaced on the roster by entry level guys

the paw

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2019, 04:19:11 PM »

Yes I understand that but locking up the Canadian depth is still a critical aspect of the team.

I've been wondering exactly where we'll get the money to re-sign key players: Goossen,Chungh, Demski, Alexander, Bighill, Jeffcoat, Loffler and JSK. A few other good players like Couture and Gauthier.

Many posters felt we maxed out the 2018 SMS so something has to give. Some speculation has been made about not bringing back Lafrance or Okpalaugo.

Others like Nevis, Flanders, Plesius, Hecht, Lankford, Foketi, Wild, Dressler might be SMS victims.

Obviously Chris Randle was a step towards re-shuffling the SMS even though he wasn't one I had initially expected to be released.

None of the bolded guys are likely to be much of a salary saving, their replacements are going to be virtually the same cost.  Maybe Nevis, but I think we just re-signed him.

We will have $70k from the Durant fiasco, and we should save at least $40k on Randle.  Maybe a little more if Fenner plays the corner and is replaced by a rookie.  I think Booch is right that LaFrance won't be back at the same price, so we should see a small saving there.  Dressler is probably a SMS casualty. 

I think we paid Bighill $175k, and we might be able to keep him for $195-$200k.  So I think there is some money left to pay some guys.  Neither Goosen or Chung is coming off an entry deal, so they are already at solid money.  They will get raises, but may not break the bank.  Couture is probably gone, given the signing of Gray. 

I think Santos Knox will be tricky to hang on to without spending some cash.  Jeffcoat would see a healthy raise as well.  Loffler is a 3 time all-star, open the wallet. 

I guess the bottom line is that we can probably hang on to most of our guys, but are unlikely to be able to go shopping for a big name receiver or the like. 

grab grass 'n growl
Tehedra

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2019, 04:28:11 PM »

Mexican receivers are what we are looking for then?  Tongue
Blue In BC

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2019, 04:40:47 PM »

I can't see Lafrance and his 100k+ contract back next year..seeing as we signed Augustine already at probably a very SMS friendly deal..Nevis was a very reasonable 120k and can see him back for a small bump on a 1 yr deal again...and Bryant is back with his entry level deal, and I believe Roh signed for a friendly amount as well...90kish

Chris Randall's 150k this year will help in bumping up a Bighill and or JSK...We had biggie at 185k last year, and JSK at an entry level 54k most likely..so Biggie will probably take a additional 40k or so, and JSK most likely a 45k or so bump..so the savings on Lafrance vs Augustine contracts, and Randall vs most likely a rookie, or possible 2nd year guy more than covers those bumps in salary, as well as covering some of a guy like Jeffcoats bump...especially if Opo is off the books though he did renegotiate a friendly deal last year, and wants to be here, so he could be had at a more cap friendly price this year, and his leadership and work ethic is invaluable

Loffler I don't think is an actual need and his position can be covered quite easily, and if his price is creeping into the 120k+ area, you have to cut bait..thats too much money tied into a safety when thats an easy position to fill..probably the easiest on defense.. and that extra money he would cost is better served locking down Alexander, or grabbing a proven free agent CB if thats the route we choose, but I really like Humes and he is in an entry level deal and I think he is in 2019 plans to be honest..has great field side corner body type and measurable's

Wild if he wants to come back is playing on the cheap, and cap casualties this year will most likely be guys like Couture, Flanders, Lankford and and possibly Foketti and replaced on the roster by entry level guys

You keep saying Loffler is not an actual need. Unless we gain a Canadian starter somewhere else he's is an absolute need. Obviously safety is an easy position to fill with an import. It's all about the ratio aspect.

I agree LaFrance won't be back in all probability even if he takes a pay cut. Augustine takes that role at least in the short term.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 04:44:06 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2019, 04:52:36 PM »

None of the bolded guys are likely to be much of a salary saving, their replacements are going to be virtually the same cost.  Maybe Nevis, but I think we just re-signed him.

We will have $70k from the Durant fiasco, and we should save at least $40k on Randle.  Maybe a little more if Fenner plays the corner and is replaced by a rookie.  I think Booch is right that LaFrance won't be back at the same price, so we should see a small saving there.  Dressler is probably a SMS casualty. 

I think we paid Bighill $175k, and we might be able to keep him for $195-$200k.  So I think there is some money left to pay some guys.  Neither Goosen or Chung is coming off an entry deal, so they are already at solid money.  They will get raises, but may not break the bank.  Couture is probably gone, given the signing of Gray. 

I think Santos Knox will be tricky to hang on to without spending some cash.  Jeffcoat would see a healthy raise as well.  Loffler is a 3 time all-star, open the wallet. 

I guess the bottom line is that we can probably hang on to most of our guys, but are unlikely to be able to go shopping for a big name receiver or the like. 

Not all the players we want to bring back will decide to come back. Whether that is due to NFL opportunities to testing CFL free agency.

Bryant, Hardrick and Medlock probably had some incremental bumps.

Our list of top talent potentially reaching free agency means re-signing them will cost more. Adjustments will be made as required.

Fenner must now be a certainty to be a starter somewhere in 2019 so that's not a direct additional cost. We probably see a rookie as a DI so there will be a net savings with Randle's departure.

EDIT: We've also trimmed Leggett's salary by releasing him earlier. Even though some of that may have been sheltered in 2018 on IR, it's still not going to be part of the 2019 SMS. So that's significant.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:03:17 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2019, 05:04:12 PM »

Lofgfler is not a need at a high price...We can filed a Canadian at safety with no real drop off save for a huge hit here and there in a more cost effective way either in house now, through the draft or via free agency.

Loffler sucks in coverage in a huge way, and his lumbering style and tight hips make him a detriment on the field in coverage aspects...proof is in the pudding in a lot of the deep balls we get burned on over the years...It wasn't necessarily a "Richie hall" scheme issue...it was a personnel issue.

Watch Loffler try to flip his hips and run with a receiver...it's ugly as he cant...and yeah he has the big hits, or used to, but 9 times out of 10 it was he was late getting to the ball and made the big hit "after" the receiver made the catch...hardly a difference making play other than being a sexy highlite.

Sure he was an all-star..but it was basically because all the other teams played their weakest, and most times cheaper option there, because a safety who can react, and flow to the ball and have the speed/quickness to meet ball where it is to be caught is not a hard gem to find...coverage skill and ball hawking athleticism is more important there than a thumper who arrives after the fact...and if we Jones or Conteh can do it at half the price tag, or a rookie out of the draft...you make that move if it means BIGGIE...JSK...Jeffcoat are on the field..they will have more impact than Loffler..

Blue In BC

« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2019, 05:18:40 PM »

Lofgfler is not a need at a high price...We can filed a Canadian at safety with no real drop off save for a huge hit here and there in a more cost effective way either in house now, through the draft or via free agency.

Loffler sucks in coverage in a huge way, and his lumbering style and tight hips make him a detriment on the field in coverage aspects...proof is in the pudding in a lot of the deep balls we get burned on over the years...It wasn't necessarily a "Richie hall" scheme issue...it was a personnel issue.

Watch Loffler try to flip his hips and run with a receiver...it's ugly as he cant...and yeah he has the big hits, or used to, but 9 times out of 10 it was he was late getting to the ball and made the big hit "after" the receiver made the catch...hardly a difference making play other than being a sexy highlite.

Sure he was an all-star..but it was basically because all the other teams played their weakest, and most times cheaper option there, because a safety who can react, and flow to the ball and have the speed/quickness to meet ball where it is to be caught is not a hard gem to find...coverage skill and ball hawking athleticism is more important there than a thumper who arrives after the fact...and if we Jones or Conteh can do it at half the price tag, or a rookie out of the draft...you make that move if it means BIGGIE...JSK...Jeffcoat are on the field..they will have more impact than Loffler..

And yet NONE of the other Canadian back up safeties we had could beat Loffler out. That plug and play kid of aspect by O'Shea got us Hurl as our starting MLB in 2017 for similar money you suggest Loffler would get.

I'm all for another Canadian player at 1/2 the cost if we have one or find one.

Lost Leggett & Randle so far. Possibly losing Alexander and Loffler and even Fogg could make the secondary a giant question mark in 2019.

As you said Loffler was an all star. They get more money as do starting Canadians in general.

Another poster suggested Boateng. I'd gladly switch the money over for him as opposed to Loffler & Oko.

I'm not hooked to the hip for Loffler if a better alternative is found. Dropping in another Canadian safety like Jones or Conteh hasn't convinced me.

Loffler was our 5th leading tackler. With Randle now gone, he'd be 4th of those remaining.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 05:22:43 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2019, 05:34:21 PM »

Gotta keep your best Canadians. Loffler has to be a priority. A good safety isn't that noticeable in our scheme but you can bet a below average one would be. Obviously, his demand has to be within reason but he's probably justified in asking to be one of, if not the highest, paid safety in the league.
Blue72

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2019, 06:53:25 PM »

Not sure what kind of increase the Nichols is getting this year so he would probably be eating up the money that we had from Durrant or another SMS hit. With the money he is getting this year he better look a lot better then last year and also try to spread the ball to ALL his receivers and less out of bounds.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #25 on: January 10, 2019, 06:57:11 PM »

I have to believe that if there were a cheaper, equivalent, Canadian option available at safety we would have already been doing so... have to address the ratio first, in my opinion or we may be starting 3 national receivers...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
booch

« Reply #26 on: January 10, 2019, 07:00:02 PM »

or if Nichols was smart and/or a true team guy who wants to win..re-structure his deal a bit to help[ the team out ...tho he is due what..450k this year??..to be honest still reasonable for arguably a top 4 QB in the league...and if BLM and or Reilly bolt...his value actually goes up...when you look at his record since he was a starter here all he seems to do is win..and for 2 years of that with a real crappy defense that hemorrhaged points
booch

« Reply #27 on: January 10, 2019, 07:01:45 PM »

I really like Conteh as the safety of the future..and maybe his future is now..good pedigree...good NCAA training and very athletic...he played corner in school so he can cover and had a rep as a big hitter in college at Grambling..he's entering yr 3 now...time to step up
kkc60

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2019, 07:19:59 PM »

I really like Conteh as the safety of the future..and maybe his future is now..good pedigree...good NCAA training and very athletic...he played corner in school so he can cover and had a rep as a big hitter in college at Grambling..he's entering yr 3 now...time to step up
I too like Conteh. He's been listed as a corner while here but I really was hoping he'd get a chance over Hecht when Loffler went down.
Blue In BC

« Reply #29 on: January 10, 2019, 07:29:56 PM »

I have to believe that if there were a cheaper, equivalent, Canadian option available at safety we would have already been doing so... have to address the ratio first, in my opinion or we may be starting 3 national receivers...

Well up until now he was on an ELC so he wasn't expensive.

In the other string you've essentially agreed with Booch that Demski is more of a want than a need.

That suggests Petermann and Simonise ( largely untested so far ) as starters. That leaves us nobody currently on the roster as depth at receiver.

The mandate should be to find a way to retain our best Canadians.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 07:31:35 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Blue In BC

« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2019, 07:32:45 PM »

I too like Conteh. He's been listed as a corner while here but I really was hoping he'd get a chance over Hecht when Loffler went down.

I like Conteh as well. Is he ready? Will he work out well? Hard to say and he got so little reps in games. He wasn't even the the next safety on the depth chart. Jones and Morgan were probably next until they got hurt then Hecht was added.

I can't say Conteh couldn't be successful any more than saying he could struggle for a year or more.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2019, 08:02:20 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2019, 08:10:59 PM »

I think that Hecht got the nod basically due to experience at that juncture of the season...we were in no way guaranteed a spot in play-offs yet so we went the safer route
Blue In BC

« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 08:22:06 PM »

I think that Hecht got the nod basically due to experience at that juncture of the season...we were in no way guaranteed a spot in play-offs yet so we went the safer route

True enough. Just making the point that Jones or Morgan before injury were veteran players and neither really pushed Loffler when push came to shove when Loffler became the starter.

That happened around game 5 IIRC.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 10:07:55 PM »

Well up until now he was on an ELC so he wasn't expensive.

In the other string you've essentially agreed with Booch that Demski is more of a want than a need.

That suggests Petermann and Simonise ( largely untested so far ) as starters. That leaves us nobody currently on the roster as depth at receiver.

The mandate should be to find a way to retain our best Canadians.

to a point I guess, but if it is at the expense of the rest of our core talent it would seem that this may have to be the area where 'tough choices have to be made'...

Prior to last year I would have been in the same boat, we have to re-sign Demski as he is our best national receiver, however, with the year that Woli had I think he is our best national receiver, he was second on the team with yards and was with considerably fewer targets than others... I guess the question would be, can he play in the slot and support Harris too?

I've thought about this for some time now and I know it happens every year, the whole ratio discussion which nobody wants but... no discussion necessary unless you want to, but, just think about this as an alternative...

instead of having a league minimum of national starters that everyone has to do, which creates a bidding war for players that eventually nobody will be able to afford... why not reduce or eliminate the required number of national starters and instead, allow a team a premium based on the number of nationals they start, like more SMS money... if we truly want to develop national talent I see this is the way to do so. As of now there is actually little incentive to do so, however, if you gave teams additional SMS cap based upon the number of nationals they start you have the incentive to do so as you're able to keep your other core players as well...

either way, something is going to have to give because there will come a point in time where the need to overpay national talent to meet league minimum numbers will keep teams for being able to pay any other players anything about minimum. In the world of supply and demand the only way to keep the cost reasonable is to have enough supply, currently not the case...

Blue In BC

« Reply #34 on: January 10, 2019, 10:25:59 PM »

to a point I guess, but if it is at the expense of the rest of our core talent it would seem that this may have to be the area where 'tough choices have to be made'...

Prior to last year I would have been in the same boat, we have to re-sign Demski as he is our best national receiver, however, with the year that Woli had I think he is our best national receiver, he was second on the team with yards and was with considerably fewer targets than others... I guess the question would be, can he play in the slot and support Harris too?

I've thought about this for some time now and I know it happens every year, the whole ratio discussion which nobody wants but... no discussion necessary unless you want to, but, just think about this as an alternative...

instead of having a league minimum of national starters that everyone has to do, which creates a bidding war for players that eventually nobody will be able to afford... why not reduce or eliminate the required number of national starters and instead, allow a team a premium based on the number of nationals they start, like more SMS money... if we truly want to develop national talent I see this is the way to do so. As of now there is actually little incentive to do so, however, if you gave teams additional SMS cap based upon the number of nationals they start you have the incentive to do so as you're able to keep your other core players as well...

either way, something is going to have to give because there will come a point in time where the need to overpay national talent to meet league minimum numbers will keep teams for being able to pay any other players anything about minimum. In the world of supply and demand the only way to keep the cost reasonable is to have enough supply, currently not the case...

I've never been a fan of the ratio so suggesting less Canadian starters is easy for me to agree about. OTOH I've been around since roster size was 32 and there were only 15 imports. That included a back up QB and most imports played both sides of the ball.

I think the development solution has to be more at the university level, not the CFL level. In theory more people in the stands creates more money for better coaching and development.

Anyway there are some strong ratio supporters so they'd never agree with that idea.

One idea I do like which also won't fly with most. It's kind of a two fold thought.

1. Allow all 46 players to dress.
2. Add two more DI's as part of that by decreasing the total number of Canadian back ups.

Imports are difficult to replace in game and long term as well. This would help them be in game and game ready when changes are necessary.

Who are we kidding. Players are " hidden " on IR lists to develop them so it's just another version of expanding the roster.

Do we really need 21 Canadians of which 14 are back ups. We start 17 Imports with only 2 back ups at QB and 4 DI's.  Math makes no sense IMO.

No more excuses.
blue newt

« Reply #35 on: January 11, 2019, 12:24:17 AM »

I agree that the constantly rising rates of national talent contracts may start impeding the ability of recruiting quality INT talent.  I think it's sustainable at the moment, but not long term.  I don't think the solution is canning the ratio altogether, though.  Instead, I think it might be wise to incur a NAT cap.  Teams can spend less than a certain percentage of their budget on their nationals, but not over.  As a result, some nationals may just price themselves out of the market and have to ask for a more reasonable rate.  OR, if you want to include the constantly inflating quarterback salaries as not being in line with the rest of the team in that, maybe just impose an individual player cap.  Can't see the player's union going for it, though.  Even though, in the long run, more players would benefit in either proposed scenario, because it might allow the league minimum to rise.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #36 on: January 11, 2019, 07:23:47 AM »

Lost Leggett & Randle so far. Possibly losing Alexander and Loffler and even Fogg could make the secondary a giant question mark in 2019.

Alexander is the must-keep out of that bunch.  He didn't start out so hot, but MOS knew he had a grower, and Alexander didn't disappoint.  And I'm pretty sure he's still only costing a small $$ (relatively).  I really can't recall any bad screw-ups by Alexander in '18.  And he even caught that OSK for us in the MTL Miracle Game.  I think he'll get even better in '19.

Loffler is also a keeper, no disrespect to booch.  Only if he demands the world should he bet let go.  My hunch is he's back for '19.
Blue In BC

« Reply #37 on: January 11, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »

Alexander is the must-keep out of that bunch.  He didn't start out so hot, but MOS knew he had a grower, and Alexander didn't disappoint.  And I'm pretty sure he's still only costing a small $$ (relatively).  I really can't recall any bad screw-ups by Alexander in '18.  And he even caught that OSK for us in the MTL Miracle Game.  I think he'll get even better in '19.

Loffler is also a keeper, no disrespect to booch.  Only if he demands the world should he bet let go.  My hunch is he's back for '19.

If Alexander doesn't get any NFL offers I think he'll be back. He was really impressive in 2018 and still has upside.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #38 on: January 11, 2019, 02:43:56 PM »

Alexander I think is one of our best DB's..and yes he is getting and will be even better this year..he battled a bit of injury issues early on this year as well.
With him and Sayles we have a good nucleus to build on, and I really liked what I see of Humes in practice and the game he got to start....can see him being a dominant DB.

Technogenius...no worries I never feel disrespected by others opinions..Loffler is good...but not 130k+ good, whereas you are going to have to cut costs with a lesser talent elsewhere. The position he plays is the easiest one in Canadian ball to hide your weakest player and over history that was generally the only position in a defensive backfield a Canadian would play, though times have changed a bit now...and truth be told Loffler is brutal in coverage and and doesn't get the best breaks on balls...and in games where he was injured and didn't play...was not missed at all really...don't get me wrong..I like the guy but if it is at the expense of an O-lineman, or resigning Biggie AND JSK then we need to walk away...
Blue In BC

« Reply #39 on: January 11, 2019, 05:36:36 PM »

Humes looked good in the game he played and the Esks were playing starters for the most part. So he has a good chance to be in the competition for a role in 2019.

Obviously things depend on who we lose and other players brought in for TC. But he earned a shot at TC at this point.

No more excuses.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #40 on: January 11, 2019, 07:46:51 PM »

One thing that Loffler does know how to do is to tackle... he led the team in '17 in tackles and was 5th this year while missing 2 games, plus he had 3 interceptions... oh, and he is our only starting national defensive player...

kkc60

« Reply #41 on: January 11, 2019, 09:12:31 PM »

One thing that Loffler does know how to do is to tackle... he led the team in '17 in tackles and was 5th this year while missing 2 games, plus he had 3 interceptions... oh, and he is our only starting national defensive player...
I'd argue he is tougher to replace than Demski. Only other Canadian options we have on D right now who are under contract for next year are Firlotte at SAM or safety, Conteh at corner or safety, Briggs at linebacker or Thomas at DT. And that's just starters
blue girl

« Reply #42 on: January 11, 2019, 10:21:41 PM »

IMO Loffler was a better tackler before that UR penalty in the 16 WF. He may be our only starting Canadian on defence right now but that can change. I wouldn't break the bank to sign him though. For me the top priority signings are Bighill and JSK.
Waffler

« Reply #43 on: January 12, 2019, 03:03:25 PM »

Bighill or JSK (we need at least one) and then Loffler. Loffler is a 26 year old Nat. All Star. Can't replace that.

The Moving Finger writes; and, having writ,
Moves on: nor all your Piety nor Wit
Shall lure it back to cancel half a Line,
Nor all your Tears wash out a Word of it.  - Omar Khayyam

« Reply #44 on: January 12, 2019, 07:13:20 PM »

One player I liked in Calgary is Adeleke. He seems to have some skills at safety. Whether he leaves Calgary and what his salary might be I don't know.

No more excuses.
kkc60

« Reply #45 on: January 12, 2019, 08:46:16 PM »

One player I liked in Calgary is Adeleke. He seems to have some skills at safety. Whether he leaves Calgary and what his salary might be I don't know.
I wanted us to draft Adeleke. He is a good return man and also a good SAM/safety
Blue In BC

« Reply #46 on: January 12, 2019, 10:34:04 PM »

I wanted us to draft Adeleke. He is a good return man and also a good SAM/safety

He's looked pretty versatile in multiple roles so if he reaches free agency I'd hope we at least have a discussion.

Starting Canadians expect $$$. How much alternate candidates expect I don't know. Which players have the most interest in Winnipeg as 1st choice is also not a given.

No more excuses.
TecnoGenius

« Reply #47 on: January 14, 2019, 10:12:40 AM »

IMO Loffler was a better tackler before that UR penalty in the 16 WF. He may be our only starting Canadian on defence right now but that can change. I wouldn't break the bank to sign him though. For me the top priority signings are Bighill and JSK.

That would be WSF.  And you're totally right... CFL neutered Loffler big time giving him UR after UR after UR over 1.5 seasons.  And most of those were legit hits at the time.  It's like they picked on Loffler as the guinea pig / poster child for getting rid of hits.  Shame, really.  The ol' "footsteps" Loffler was far more effective.  Now Loffler's too scared of UR to really hit at all.

I blame the league.  After watching the NFL playoffs so far this year, I think the NFL is handling UR a lot better than the CFL... as in it's rarely called on non-QB hits.  RBs and WRs are getting blown up in ways CFL'ers can only have nightmares about and there's nary a flag, except the (very) odd defenceless receiver UR (and only in H2H hits).
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #48 on: January 14, 2019, 01:31:36 PM »

That would be WSF.  And you're totally right... CFL neutered Loffler big time giving him UR after UR after UR over 1.5 seasons.  And most of those were legit hits at the time.  It's like they picked on Loffler as the guinea pig / poster child for getting rid of hits.  Shame, really.  The ol' "footsteps" Loffler was far more effective.  Now Loffler's too scared of UR to really hit at all.

I blame the league.  After watching the NFL playoffs so far this year, I think the NFL is handling UR a lot better than the CFL... as in it's rarely called on non-QB hits.  RBs and WRs are getting blown up in ways CFL'ers can only have nightmares about and there's nary a flag, except the (very) odd defenceless receiver UR (and only in H2H hits).

You can't hit defenseless receivers anymore. Not at any level of football, in the NFL, or CFL. I don't know what division finals you were watching this weekend but I didn't see any of those hits. The NFL has been pretty consistent all year.  Loffler's hits would have been legit in 1990, but they aren't anymore. He's not "too scared", he's playing within the rules set out by football played everywhere.
66 Chevelle

« Reply #49 on: January 14, 2019, 08:53:19 PM »

nor can you lead with your helmet, regardless of player being tackled or their awareness of your presence...

blue girl

« Reply #50 on: January 15, 2019, 08:54:14 PM »

Yes you're right. It was the WSF.
1chad

« Reply #51 on: January 17, 2019, 01:14:53 PM »

The CFL wants to get rid of those types of hits, so they direct the refs to be very vigilant about calling them.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [All]
  Print  

Jump to: