Blue Bombers Forum
April 24, 2019, 08:10:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Why do we think that scouting is the Bombers problem?  (Read 3022 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #60 on: January 26, 2019, 05:16:25 PM »

What is the 50/50 ball? In my mind a 50/50 ball is a pass used with no time or very little left on the clock. A designed play to a tall receiver at the back of an endzone as an example is not a 50/50 ball.
The curl-up and hit the deck is a designed play and thrown on purpose to give the defender virtually no potential to deflect or intercept. It is not a YAC designed pass. Now if we are talking about our guys "body catching" or not high pointing or going down with minimal contact, giving up on routes, hesitating to go across the middle, or simple dropping balls then that's legitimate concerns, but I don't recall those being general concerns last year.

Beleive that is a "Hail Mary"...

A 50/50 ball can be thrown at any time of the game. It's a situation where you expect your player to beat the defensive player. Generally that suggestion is on a deeper pass where the receiver out jumps, out positions and out muscles the DB.

What are the odds of completing a 50/50 pass?  Somewhere around 50%?  Not a play I want to become dependent on...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #61 on: January 26, 2019, 05:35:12 PM »

Beleive that is a "Hail Mary"...

What are the odds of completing a 50/50 pass?  Somewhere around 50%?  Not a play I want to become dependent on...

Again, I'm not saying it's a 1st option but clearly it's an option widely used by CFL teams as part of their offense game plan.

QB's can and will throw to receivers before they are open.

No more excuses.
theaardvark

« Reply #62 on: January 26, 2019, 06:11:17 PM »

Again, I'm not saying it's a 1st option but clearly it's an option widely used by CFL teams as part of their offense game plan.

QB's can and will throw to receivers before they are open.

Of course, timing patterns, and the famous "throw them open" passes... but is you want a 65%+ completion average, you don't get that by throwing 50/50 passes...

Three things can happen when you throw a pass.  Two are bad. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
dd

« Reply #63 on: January 26, 2019, 06:55:56 PM »

name 1 time last year that a Bamber receiver, any receiver, was beat fighting for the ball... also, I like you to name just one time that any of our receivers 'curl up/crumple to the ground' before being hit last year... do you have any idea just how stupid that sounds? you should read your post back to yourself out loud before clicking the 'post' button...

in the mean time, I'll be waiting for you to produce these examples...
Your man Washington was a prime example of a receiver who would catch the ball and immediately cringe and fall to the ground before he got tackled. He was such a sorry excuse of a receiver it wasn?t even funny but since our scouts had no one else waiting in the wings that was any better, we had to go with. That simply isn?t good enough, not even close
Knocker42

« Reply #64 on: January 26, 2019, 07:18:09 PM »

Your man Washington was a prime example of a receiver who would catch the ball and immediately cringe and fall to the ground before he got tackled. He was such a sorry excuse of a receiver it wasn?t even funny but since our scouts had no one else waiting in the wings that was any better, we had to go with. That simply isn?t good enough, not even close

Worst I ever saw in that respect.  He had speed and decent hands but.....  glad we have moved on.
Blue In BC

« Reply #65 on: January 26, 2019, 09:50:29 PM »

Of course, timing patterns, and the famous "throw them open" passes... but is you want a 65%+ completion average, you don't get that by throwing 50/50 passes...

Three things can happen when you throw a pass.  Two are bad. 

You better check the stats on the top 4 CFL QB's. Reilly, BLM, Masoli and Harris. Most passes, most yards, most TD's, highest average per pass and best QB ratings.  3 of those 4 had the best completion %'s. All of those QB's threw up lots of 50/50 passes to some of the best receivers in the CFL.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 09:52:09 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
dd

« Reply #66 on: January 26, 2019, 11:36:44 PM »

Exactly, and we don?t do that because we don?t have that playmaker in our lineup. We have decent receivers but no game breaker/back breaker like Rogers who single handedly won the stamps the grey cup. This is the type of player we need. Walker does the same thing for Edmonton, they were a different team without him in the lineup . We need that game breaker in ours in addition to the supporting cast we have
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #67 on: January 27, 2019, 03:56:27 AM »

What is the 50/50 ball? In my mind a 50/50 ball is a pass used with no time or very little left on the clock. A designed play to a tall receiver at the back of an endzone as an example is not a 50/50 ball.
The curl-up and hit the deck is a designed play and thrown on purpose to give the defender virtually no potential to deflect or intercept. It is not a YAC designed pass. Now if we are talking about our guys "body catching" or not high pointing or going down with minimal contact, giving up on routes, hesitating to go across the middle, or simple dropping balls then that's legitimate concerns, but I don't recall those being general concerns last year.

See: Mike Reilly.  Also see: Mike Reilly miss playoffs with one of the best receiver groups in the league.

« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 04:33:43 AM by Throw Long Bannatyne » Logged
dd

« Reply #68 on: January 29, 2019, 12:25:25 AM »

To me, a 50/50 ball is more than just the hail mary....it's also a pass that has been underthrow or overthrown where the receiver has a 50% chance of catching the ball due to poor placement. The receiver has got to out battle the Db to get that catch, that's what separates the good recievers from the so so recievers. We have a bunch of so so recievers, that if they are open and uncontested, will likely catch the ball, but if they have to battle a Db for the ball, we more often than not lose that battle, therefore, nichols won't throw that pass, he'll sail it into the bleachers and go for the sure thing or punt the ball.
BLUEBOMBER

« Reply #69 on: January 29, 2019, 01:15:46 AM »

Certainly it's all aspects of the on and off field management of the team that determines how good a team is. So we need the best people on top and eventually things will fall in place.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]  All
  Print  

Jump to: