Blue Bombers Forum
July 19, 2019, 02:23:05 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Blue Bombers Agree to Terms With Kicker Justin Medlock on Two-year Extension  (Read 2238 times)
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« on: January 07, 2019, 02:32:00 PM »

Blue Bombers Agree to Terms With Kicker Justin Medlock on Two-year Extension

WINNIPEG, MB., January 7, 2019 - The Winnipeg Blue Bombers today announce the club has agreed to terms with kicker Justin Medlock on a two-year contract extension. Medlock was to become a free agent in February.

One of the best kickers in the history of the CFL, the 2019 season will be Medlock's fourth with Winnipeg after signing as a free agent prior to the 2016 season. Medlock has been named the team's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in each of his three seasons in Winnipeg.

"As we headed into free agency, once again Justin was high on the list of players we needed to have back in our organization," said General Manager Kyle Walters. "Kickers like Justin just don't come around often, and his dedication to his craft, work ethic, attention to detail and overall professionalism all add up to being a truly elite talent in our league at his position. We are thrilled to have him back."

The CFL's Most Outstanding Special Teams Player in 2016, Medlock has followed his first season in Blue & Gold with consistently solid work over the last two years. Over 17 games in 2018, Medlock connected on 89.4% of his field goals (42 of 47) and was the only kicker in the CFL to be perfect on convert attempts (52 of 52). He also led the league with 13 punts placed inside an opponent's 10-yard line.

Medlock has played in 128 career CFL games over his eight year career, and has a career field goal percentage of 86.5%. In his three seasons with Winnipeg, Medlock has connected on 158 of 185 field goals (85.4%), and has missed only one convert, hitting 140 of 141.

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Ridermania

« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2019, 02:47:35 PM »

Good signing by the Bombers.
Norm W

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2019, 03:17:43 PM »

Good signing by the Bombers.

A good signing? Now that's an understatement if I ever saw one.  Grin
With all the uncertainty resulting from the expired CBA, the abundance of one year contracts in 2018 and large free agent lists at the end of 2018 stability will loom large in 2019, those that are able to maintain it will have an advantage in 2019. I'm pleasantly surprised by this early signing, I expected Medlock to test the waters.   

No such thing as too much jet fuel in the tanks, unless your'e on fire Smiley
fansince79

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2019, 04:09:41 PM »

Great. Now go find us a freaking kick returner.
Sir Blue and Gold

« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2019, 04:34:28 PM »

Good signing. He'll be 37 by the time that contract's up. Gives us some more time to figure what direction we'll go afterward. I guess he'll be placekicking and punting over the next two years? I wonder if there's any thought to bringing in a punter to let him focus on field goals? Hopefully, he holds up. Some people were surmising he was a bit knicked up towards the end of last year.
Sec223

« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2019, 06:48:38 PM »

Langford ?
3rdand1.5

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2019, 06:55:32 PM »

Now.....Chungh, Goosen, Loffler and Bighill next please Cool
kkc60

« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2019, 07:09:34 PM »

Langford ?
It amazes me how after 3 years, people still say Langford instead of Lankford
blue girl

« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2019, 08:06:53 PM »

Well this is a very good signing. When Cody Parkey had his double doink yesterday the first thing that I thought was the Walters has to get Medlock re-signed.
GOLDMEMBER

R.I.P. BLUE BONGER

« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2019, 11:43:15 PM »

Great. Now go find us a freaking kick returner.

For heavens sakes THIS^

I LOSHT MY MEMBER IN AN UNFORTUNATE SHMELTING ACCSHIDENT!
ModAdmin
Administrator

Reaves,Cameron,Riley,Walby - Blue Bomber Legends

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2019, 02:54:36 AM »

Medlock Locked In for Two More Years - Ed Tait

Take a poll of those closest to Justin Medlock - the kicker, husband, and father - and the two words they would most often associate with him might just be 'meticulous' and 'methodical.'

That notion is only further reinforced from just a few minutes of watching the man work at his craft during a Winnipeg Blue Bombers practice. There are the variety of punts and placekicks he attempts, to his dissecting every aspect of a placekick from the snap, the hold and the angle the ball is placed before he puts his left foot to leather.

So when the veteran hoofer officially put his name on a two-year contract extension Monday rather than test the free agent market next month, it?s all but a given this was a decision arrived at after a great deal of contemplation. After all, Medlock - especially when it comes to football and the art of kicking - is hardly the type to just wing it.

But during a 12-minute conference call with local media on Monday, Medlock - while praising the vibe in the Bombers locker room and speaking of playing for head coach Mike O'Shea - also made it clear that some of the uncertainty he had about his game and his future at the end of the 2017 season has completely faded heading into 2019.

"In 2017 I was just unsure... it was more of an 85 percent in," said Medlock from his offseason home in Jupiter, Fla. "I wasn't really all-in, I don't think. I mean, I could still go out there and do fine, but if you're not really focused into it... some people can function that way, but others can't. And for me, that's not how I go about my preparation and getting ready for games and the season. That was tougher.

"Obviously when I focused in towards the end of the season, I did pretty well. I took that into 2018 and my preparation for every single week, every single kick was pretty good and I was able to have a pretty solid season. I was able to keep that mindset and stay focused throughout the whole season.

"As an athlete, or people in general, they bounce back from failure," he added. "It just felt like I was motivated again and a little chip on my shoulder that I wanted to be better. One of the goals I really wanted to achieve was to have a stable year. I thought I had that in 2018 and hopefully it carries on to 2019."

Medlock's extension means that for the fourth year in a row, the club won't need to overcome any kicking woes, as was the case in 2015 before he came aboard...........

Read the rest of Ed Tait's article here!

"You can't let praise or criticism get to you. It's a weakness to get caught up in either one." - John Wooden
Buck

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2019, 01:05:54 PM »

Interesting that Medlock lives in Parkeys hometown of Jupiter, Florida.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2019, 02:34:53 PM »

It amazes me how after 3 years, people still say Langford instead of Lankford

This.  I'm beginning to think a large majority of this board went to the same high school I did in the 90s, and we keep reminiscing about a certain science teacher.
SSC

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2019, 04:27:28 PM »

Great signing. I was concerned the NFL would be interested in Medlock because the kicking, in general, was horrible in that league this season.
kkc60

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2019, 04:46:07 PM »

Great signing. I was concerned the NFL would be interested in Medlock because the kicking, in general, was horrible in that league this season.
NFL fir whatever reason ignores CFL kickers. Maher was the exception. To be fair, Medlock did pay his dues in the NFL
Pages: [1] 2 3  All
  Print  

Jump to: