Beef About Hockey TV Broadcasts

Started by In Motion, January 02, 2019, 05:23:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

In Motion

I'm almost to the point where I want to turn the sound off during hockey games
because the guys are not doing play-by-play half the time, but are prattling on about other stuff.
Call the d*mn game and leave the commentary for after the whistle.  Geez!!!!

Stretch

What drives me up the wall is all of the useless camera angles they use that don't show any of the actual play, such as when a dman passes the puck up the ice and then they stay on him while he goes to the bench. Another one is from a recent Jets game (where the Jets were up by a goal late in the 3rd), they showed the other team's coach waving the goalie to the bench followed by a shot of the goalie skating to the bench. These totalled about 6-8 seconds where you didn't know what was happening with the puck.

I say just use the same centre ice shot that we're all used to for live play and save the various camera angles for replays.

Rant over.  :)
Money is no object...especially when you have none.

dd

There are so many stations broadcasting games, each station is trying to out do the next for viewers. I remember when games were only shown on Saturday nights via hockey night in Canada, now there?s a beef ?1 game a week, and it was either Toronto or Montreal!!

Stretch

Quote from: dd on January 03, 2019, 05:49:11 AM
1 game a week, and it was either Toronto or Montreal!!

When they went to double headers on HNIC, I said that was because they figured out a way to show two Leafs games in a row.  :D

blue_or_die

Hmm. Maybe younger folks like me don't notice/care about this as much because I wasn't watching hockey when things were apparently quite different.

The stuff mentioned in the first two posts definitely gets to the point where it bothers me from time to time but I generally don't notice or don't mind it most of the time.
#Ride?

Fire101

I especially hate it when they use non-hockey terms. i.e. paint instead of crease, wall instead of boards.

Jesse

You guys sound like a bunch of old men arguing in a coffee shop.

?So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say?
My wife is amazing!

Stretch

Quote from: Jesse on March 01, 2019, 02:54:14 AM

?So I tied an onion to my belt, which was the style at the time. Now, to take the ferry cost a nickel, and in those days, nickels had pictures of bumblebees on 'em. Give me five bees for a quarter, you'd say?

Are quotes from The Simpsons still relevant sonny-boy?  ;)

blue_or_die

Quote from: Jesse on March 01, 2019, 02:54:14 AM

Been watching the game since nineteen dickety two!

...And watch out for that Adolf Hitler, he's a bad egg, see!
#Ride?

In Motion

Never you mind!  I remember when HNIC only came on TV when the 2nd period
of a game began. I kid you not.

Not to mention we had only one channel out on the farm, and when the picture got snowy
my Dad would have to climb up on the roof, risking life and limb, to turn the TV antennae.
He'd be up there, my brother would be outside at ground level, and I'd be at the picture window
signalling to him once we got good reception.

You kids have no idea what your elders went through in ages past, nor the joy of getting
a clear black- and- white picture on your TV instead of a snowy screen.  :)

The Zipp

Quote from: In Motion on April 11, 2019, 05:45:55 AM
Never you mind!  I remember when HNIC only came on TV when the 2nd period
of a game began. I kid you not.

Not to mention we had only one channel out on the farm, and when the picture got snowy
my Dad would have to climb up on the roof, risking life and limb, to turn the TV antennae.
He'd be up there, my brother would be outside at ground level, and I'd be at the picture window
signalling to him once we got good reception.

You kids have no idea what your elders went through in ages past, nor the joy of getting
a clear black- and- white picture on your TV instead of a snowy screen.  :)

All 100% true...the sheer joy when that signal was good was just something else.  Rabbit ears - only a few will know that contraption- wiggling those things around and at one point the signal was best when someone was actually holding on to them - guess whose job that was??

galeforce

When I was a kid (several decades ago) my dad and I would watch Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night, and every Saturday night when Hockey Night in Canada started, our neighbour across the street would start up his big ol' Ford sedan out on the front street and for the ten or so minutes that he let that thing run to warm up, we got interference on our tv .... a lot of fuzz and horizontal lines .... until he would pull away and we'd get our picture back. Those were the days ... sigh .. lol

In Motion

Quote from: ZeebaZeeba on May 06, 2019, 11:04:33 PM
When I was a kid (several decades ago) my dad and I would watch Hockey Night in Canada every Saturday night, and every Saturday night when Hockey Night in Canada started, our neighbour across the street would start up his big ol' Ford sedan out on the front street and for the ten or so minutes that he let that thing run to warm up, we got interference on our tv .... a lot of fuzz and horizontal lines .... until he would pull away and we'd get our picture back. Those were the days ... sigh .. lol

Thanks for the laugh. LOL!!  Same thing when Mom used the cake mixer in the kitchen.
She'd sometimes need to bake a cake for a Sunday church dinner, and we'd yell at her to stop
until the commercials or intermission because we'd get those horizontal lines. :)