Blue Bombers Forum
July 20, 2019, 07:49:13 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36
  Print  
Author Topic: CFL Signings/News  (Read 35726 times)
blue_or_die

« Reply #225 on: January 08, 2019, 08:13:09 PM »

IIRC JSK was supposed to be the MLB before we signed Bighill. Either way we have to sign JSK. Bighill or possibly both. If we lose both of them IMO we're doomed.

I don't think it's "possibly" both. It needs to be both.
blue girl

« Reply #226 on: January 08, 2019, 08:30:41 PM »

I don't think it's "possibly" both. It needs to be both.
Well yes I'm hopeful for both but Bighill has to be the higher priority.
Blue In BC

« Reply #227 on: January 08, 2019, 08:34:00 PM »

IIRC JSK was supposed to be the MLB before we signed Bighill. Either way we have to sign JSK. Bighill or possibly both. If we lose both of them IMO we're doomed.

Possibly but that's because we didn't know who else in TC might turn out to be a better candidate. It was more or less a decision by default. Whether he would have done well is not known.

Keep in mind that in 2017 we pretty much pre-determined that Hurl was going to start at MLB.

JSK might turn out to be a great MLB but it's not a certainty either. Who was the last very good MLB the Bombers recruited ( rookie )? Ryland Wickman comes to mind??

Still comes down to recruitment doesn't it?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:03:38 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Jets
Global Moderator

« Reply #228 on: January 09, 2019, 03:39:13 AM »

Possibly but that's because we didn't know who else in TC might turn out to be a better candidate. It was more or less a decision by default. Whether he would have done well is not known.

Keep in mind that in 2017 we pretty much pre-determined that Hurl was going to start at MLB.

JSK might turn out to be a great MLB but it's not a certainty either. Who was the last very good MLB the Bombers recruited ( rookie )? Ryland Wickman comes to mind??

Still comes down to recruitment doesn't it?

Joe Lobendahn was pretty good before he got injured.
Blue In BC

« Reply #229 on: January 09, 2019, 02:17:52 PM »

Joe Lobendahn was pretty good before he got injured.

Forgot about him but he only played 39 games 2009-2011 in Wpg before finishing a couple of seasons in Regina. Before the current management regime.

No more excuses.
booch

« Reply #230 on: January 09, 2019, 04:34:25 PM »

Only way we lose JSK is if he bolts to NFL...IF he gets no offers then he will be back here...guaranteed. Biggie has to be priority one though this off-season and I am sure Oshea and Walters will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Fenner is a wild card guy for us this year...was touted as arguably the best SAM in 2017...toss up between him and Leggett so not sure why it was hard for him to take that spot back after he got hurt..maybe he was knicked all year and to keep him relatively healthy they used Gaitor there.

He very well could be our SAM this year, or elsewhere in the secondary...he would be a great safety and I would love to add Lokombo to the mix and if it is at the expense of say a Loffler, well I am fine with that.

I'm more concerned with getting Jeffcoat back too to be honest, especially if Opo becomes a cao casualty...would not want to go into 2019 with only Roh as a holdover from the D-line at end
Blue In BC

« Reply #231 on: January 09, 2019, 06:26:00 PM »

Only way we lose JSK is if he bolts to NFL...IF he gets no offers then he will be back here...guaranteed. Biggie has to be priority one though this off-season and I am sure Oshea and Walters will do whatever it takes to make it happen. Fenner is a wild card guy for us this year...was touted as arguably the best SAM in 2017...toss up between him and Leggett so not sure why it was hard for him to take that spot back after he got hurt..maybe he was knicked all year and to keep him relatively healthy they used Gaitor there.

He very well could be our SAM this year, or elsewhere in the secondary...he would be a great safety and I would love to add Lokombo to the mix and if it is at the expense of say a Loffler, well I am fine with that.

I'm more concerned with getting Jeffcoat back too to be honest, especially if Opo becomes a cao casualty...would not want to go into 2019 with only Roh as a holdover from the D-line at end

Hmmmm. Getting Lokombo probably means we didn't get back JSK. So also losing Loffler as a result may be an overall net loss rather than a gain.

Depends on Fenner as has been mentioned a few times. If he ends ups starting somewhere then that might work and sustain the ratio aspect as well. Only if we get Lokombo.

All that said only having one National starter is limiting. In a perfect world we gain another National starter. Not sure how much he makes or how much JSK might be looking for if he remains in the CFL.

Would be more than happy to get JSK back. Just not sure what our ratio issues might be this year.

Agree on Jeffcoat. He's a keeper. Haven't heard anything about any Bomber players actually getting tryouts but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen yet.

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #232 on: January 09, 2019, 07:41:39 PM »

Hmmmm. Getting Lokombo probably means we didn't get back JSK. So also losing Loffler as a result may be an overall net loss rather than a gain.

Depends on Fenner as has been mentioned a few times. If he ends ups starting somewhere then that might work and sustain the ratio aspect as well. Only if we get Lokombo.

All that said only having one National starter is limiting. In a perfect world we gain another National starter. Not sure how much he makes or how much JSK might be looking for if he remains in the CFL.

Would be more than happy to get JSK back. Just not sure what our ratio issues might be this year.

Agree on Jeffcoat. He's a keeper. Haven't heard anything about any Bomber players actually getting tryouts but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen yet.

Coming off his rookie contract I think it's fair to predict that JSK's salary will at least double.
booch

« Reply #233 on: January 09, 2019, 07:49:06 PM »

Not really...in an ideal world I could see Lokombo replacing Loffler ratio and salary wise..bit more pricey than what Loffler would bring, but the likely departure of Opo's salary will offset bumps to JSK and what Lokombo would make over what Loffler could.

Fenner is making a reasonable 120k...so say 230 or so for Biggie..probably 120ish for JSK and probably in the 160's for Lokombo is a fairly reasonable 630k of your cap for some key linch pin members of your defense..
Blue In BC

« Reply #234 on: January 09, 2019, 09:48:13 PM »

Not really...in an ideal world I could see Lokombo replacing Loffler ratio and salary wise..bit more pricey than what Loffler would bring, but the likely departure of Opo's salary will offset bumps to JSK and what Lokombo would make over what Loffler could.

Fenner is making a reasonable 120k...so say 230 or so for Biggie..probably 120ish for JSK and probably in the 160's for Lokombo is a fairly reasonable 630k of your cap for some key linch pin members of your defense..

It would still require Lokombo to start in place of JSK to sustain the ratio. That was my point over and above SMS issues.  I'm not opposed to the improvement to depth at LB and have suggested that earlier.

I also suggested with Lokombo we'd probably eliminate the current DI LB's, so would expect both Wild and Wilson to be gone. Some savings if Wild is not re-signed. Not much savings for Wilson.

In theory that would make JSK a DI. Does that make sense for him or us in how we spend the SMS. Can't really be sure at the moment.

Overall I'd probably be happier keeping Loffler and getting Lokombo. Letting Fenner go unless he's either starting at SAM, DB or CB.  Or some combination thereof with Gaitor pushed out into the secondary for example. Whichever is the best combination.  That might also mean not re-signing JSK.

All for improving depth but ratio and SMS all come into play. How the roster is put together etc.

WIL may be the only position on defense where we might have an opportunity to ADD a 2nd National starter.

That in turn might allow the addition of a DI returner / receiver depth player.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 09:56:04 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #235 on: January 09, 2019, 09:53:15 PM »

It would still require Lokombo to start in place of JSK to sustain the ratio. That was my point over and above SMS issues.  I'm not opposed to the improvement to depth at LB and have suggested that earlier.

I also suggested with Lokombo we'd probably eliminate the current DI LB's, so would expect both Wild and Wilson to be gone.

In theory that would make JSK a DI. Does that make sense for him or us in how we spend the SMS. Can't really be sure at the moment.

Overall I'd probably be happier keeping Loffler and getting Lokombo. Letting Fenner go unless he's either starting at SAM, DB or CB.  Or some combination thereof with Gaitor pushed out into the secondary for example. Whichever is the best combination.  That might also mean not re-signing JSK.

All for improving depth but ratio and SMS all come into play.

Bighill is the keystone, all satellites revolve around signing him first.
Blue In BC

« Reply #236 on: January 09, 2019, 10:01:13 PM »

Bighill is the keystone, all satellites revolve around signing him first.

The most important defensive player but not the most important overall because of ratio. Either we keep Loffler or add another National on defense. Lokombo might be a choice. Can you suggest another National possibility if we lose Loffler?

Are any of Jones, Conteh, or our other National DB's able to step in with little drop off? Not IMO.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:04:13 PM by Blue In BC » Logged

No more excuses.
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #237 on: January 10, 2019, 01:50:27 AM »

The most important defensive player but not the most important overall because of ratio. Either we keep Loffler or add another National on defense. Lokombo might be a choice. Can you suggest another National possibility if we lose Loffler?

Are any of Jones, Conteh, or our other National DB's able to step in with little drop off? Not IMO.

Sure signing Lokombo would be nice but if they sign Bighill first I don't think they'll have the cash to go after Lokombo as well.  It also depends if they can retain JSK, if they do he is likely the default WIL alongside Bighill despite the ratio implications.  I would look at adding a Natl. starter to the D-line as a logical place to improve the ratio, there are a few out there but I'm not certain if any are F.A. this year, might have to trade.  My fear is Loffler leaving for the coast and O'shea focusing his gaze fondly upon Hecht.
theaardvark

« Reply #238 on: January 10, 2019, 03:11:12 AM »

3 OL, RB, 2 WR...  leaves one NAT on D...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Blue In BC

« Reply #239 on: January 10, 2019, 03:34:51 PM »

Sure signing Lokombo would be nice but if they sign Bighill first I don't think they'll have the cash to go after Lokombo as well.  It also depends if they can retain JSK, if they do he is likely the default WIL alongside Bighill despite the ratio implications.  I would look at adding a Natl. starter to the D-line as a logical place to improve the ratio, there are a few out there but I'm not certain if any are F.A. this year, might have to trade.  My fear is Loffler leaving for the coast and O'shea focusing his gaze fondly upon Hecht.

There are lots of possibilities but the case has been made somewhat that it could be an either or for Loffler + JSK or Lokombo as the SMS and ratio balancing act.

It's going to depend on what happens 1st, both before and after day 1 of free agency.

No more excuses.
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 36
  Print  

Jump to: