Blue Bombers Forum
October 16, 2019, 12:42:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Bomber coaches status?  (Read 2517 times)
Lincoln Locomotive

« on: December 11, 2018, 07:13:24 PM »

With all the high powered coaching moves throughout the CFL....what's the take on Bomber coaches for the next season?

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
GCn19

« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2018, 07:19:15 PM »

Status quo I'm thinking.

Some people take this forum way too seriously.
Jesse

« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2018, 07:25:38 PM »

I think we'd have heard something by now if there were going to be any changes.

My wife is amazing!
GCn19

« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2018, 07:33:08 PM »

I think we'd have heard something by now if there were going to be any changes.

Not necessarily, but I still think status quo. The Bombers are one of the more frugal teams in the league in paying coaches and management.

Stretch

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2018, 07:41:47 PM »

The Bombers are one of the more frugal teams in the league in paying coaches and management.

And now that's a good thing.  Wink

Money is no object...especially when you have none.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2018, 07:42:57 PM »

Not necessarily, but I still think status quo. The Bombers are one of the more frugal teams in the league in paying coaches and management.
hasn't worked out very well either....well at least for the past 28 years!

"Victory to the Winnipeg Blue Bombers"

Dali Lama
TBURGESS

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2018, 09:06:39 PM »

Frugal? Isn't PLAP the highest paid OC in the league? Hall, with his bunch-o-years of experience isn't likely cheap. O'Shea isn't a rookie HC anymore, he's likely being paid well considering he's going into his 6th year.

Being right never gets old.
BlueInCgy

« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2018, 09:29:53 PM »

There's lots of moves yet to be made coaching wise in this off season.  Calgary, Montreal, and Hamilton have holes to fill. 

I don't see LaPolice going anywhere since all HC jobs have been taken.  Halls contract is up, so there is the potential he'd go elsewhere to fill a DC position, which might not be the worst thing in the world, except that there aren't a long line of people qualified to replace him, regardless of how one might feel about him and his abilities.
theaardvark

« Reply #8 on: December 11, 2018, 09:31:13 PM »

I don't think O'Shea is getting the $500k+ many HC received in the past, nor does Walters get paid like other GMs.  I'm not saying they work for nothing, but I'd guess they were middle of the pack.  Which allowed us to pay Lapo handsomely for his spot.  

We haven't heard any staffing issues so far with the WFC, no cuts announced, unlike so many other team...  I think we have been "frugal" other than Lapo...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Jesse

« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2018, 02:34:28 AM »

Frugal? Isn't PLAP the highest paid OC in the league? Hall, with his bunch-o-years of experience isn't likely cheap. O'Shea isn't a rookie HC anymore, he's likely being paid well considering he's going into his 6th year.

Tend to agree here, although those are only three positions on the staff, albeit the highest paid.

My wife is amazing!
gobombersgo

« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2018, 02:53:54 AM »

There's lots of moves yet to be made coaching wise in this off season.  Calgary, Montreal, and Hamilton have holes to fill. 

I don't see LaPolice going anywhere since all HC jobs have been taken.  Halls contract is up, so there is the potential he'd go elsewhere to fill a DC position, which might not be the worst thing in the world, except that there aren't a long line of people qualified to replace him, regardless of how one might feel about him and his abilities.

If Hall's not coming back the Bombers better be talking to Mark Washington before the TiCats or Als grab him.

GCn19

« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2018, 12:07:21 PM »

Football ops does not boil down to 3 coaches TBurg. Until recently the Bombers ran with a staff of 8 coaches which was the smallest coaching staff in the league. Last year we expanded to 10, which is mid pack in the CFL. O'Shea makes an average CFL HC wage and Hall is also a mid tier DC. Yes, Lapo is well compensated but really he is probably the only member of our football ops staff making above league average. With a relatively small staff compared to the rest of the league, and nearly everyone making an average wage you can pay a guy above average and still be considered quite frugal.

However, perhaps, frugal was the wrong choice of words as it may imply that we have been cheap. The Bombers have been very diligent in reigning in football ops budgets in the past and the present. We do not have guys like ex-NFLer Jerry Glanville pulling down big money, or a staff with 3 guys pulling down GM wages and 16 coaches like Saskatchewan, etc etc. We hired what we needed, paid them a fair wage, and treated them well and because of that we kept expenses down compared to many teams in the league.
« Last Edit: December 12, 2018, 12:13:57 PM by GCn18 » Logged

GCn19

« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2018, 12:14:23 PM »

If Hall's not coming back the Bombers better be talking to Mark Washington before the TiCats or Als grab him.

Hall will be back.

GCn19

« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2018, 12:25:52 PM »

hasn't worked out very well either....well at least for the past 28 years!

For sure it hasn't. However, now with the football ops SMS it keeps idiots like the Riders from having 30 scouts, 3 GMs, and 16 coaches. It also keeps teams like the Stamps (Dickenson) and TiCats (Steinhauer) from making a coordinator their coach in waiting by paying them a HC wage and promising a succession plan. It keeps teams like the Argos and Als from firing their coach every year. I like the football ops SMS and I think it will save a lot of owners from themselves, and will be to the benefit of the teams that were already spending wisely like Winnipeg to not have to compete with teams that are willing to spend far beyond their means.

booch

« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2018, 01:48:50 PM »

and a thing to note...this SMS system was something that was discussed and wanted by the teams...not something thrown onto them.

It's a smart move I think and in no way will affect coaching candidates coming here, or leaving here for that matter...The only big buck jobs available are Co-Ordinator and Head coach jobs in the NFL and Div 1...sometimes Div. 2 NCAA..and those don't come along regularily to guys with minimal experience and a piddly coaching pedigree...and I can tell you from experience/fact that a lot of the positional and assistant type coaches in the U.S college ranks make shockingly crappy salaries...they are there soley for building said pedigree, or in some instances just because they love coaching and teaching
Pages: [1] 2  All
  Print  

Jump to: