Blue Bombers Forum
December 19, 2018, 01:34:27 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News:

Home   Help Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  
Author Topic: Breaking News: A New Football League To Start In 2020  (Read 875 times)
theaardvark

« Reply #15 on: December 07, 2018, 07:04:03 PM »

You have to have money to own stuff. Kaepernick hasn't worked in a while.

Yeah, Nike is not a job... and with a net worth of $20mil, he might be in the "not invited" club...

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
blue girl

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2018, 08:16:17 PM »

They mentioned this briefly at the end of PTI yesterday. I agree with what was said then. How many football leagues do we need?
66 Chevelle

« Reply #17 on: December 08, 2018, 05:13:03 AM »

well, I can say with a high degree of confidence that at least 2 of the 3 won't make it... I go you one farther and say at least 1 of the 3 will never play a game...

just because you can doesn't mean you should...
Throw Long Bannatyne

« Reply #18 on: December 08, 2018, 03:10:46 PM »

They mentioned this briefly at the end of PTI yesterday. I agree with what was said then. How many football leagues do we need?

All of these new football leagues coming on line in roughly the same time frame will cause a lot of ruckus and noise but like too many political parties trumping the same agenda they will inevitability cancel each other out.  The casual football fan instead of embracing them will largely lump them together and tune them out as a group and quickly fall back on their old established viewing habits. 
theaardvark

« Reply #19 on: December 08, 2018, 03:28:53 PM »

So, we have:

A league led by media guys that espouses a flat salary scale but adds in health, education and other benefits.

A league owned by WWE wrestling, with no independent ownership, which will be savvy in marketing and going dorrectly at the NFL but in the offseason.

A league owned by everyone, executives, former players and you.  A "social justice" league to "develop young men", playing a 7 on 7 game. 

Kind of a diverse set of business plans, will be interesting to see if any work out.

On a side note, in all these news releases, I was impressed at how many of these players had transitioned into bowling at a professional level.  And then I realized, they aren't former Pro Bowlers, they are former ProBowlers. 

Unabashed positron.  Blue koolaid in my fridge.  I wear my blue sunglasses at night.  Homer, d'oh.
Lincoln Locomotive

« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 03:35:42 PM »

With the CFL implementing a cap on operations this won't bode well for the quality of our league.   I'm not sure how reducing a teams ability to employ coaches is going to improve the overall product on the field?  Am I missing something?   Having all these extra leagues competing for players and coaches will have a tremendous impact on the CFL and it won't be good either.   We will be losing both players and coaches to three new leagues and it will take time to assess just how much of an impact it will be.   Not all of the three will survive however this new one is very political and challenges the traditional status quo.   Rough times ahead for the CFL at least for the next few years....until all the dust settles!

" Leo Lewis was the best player I ever coached, on either side of the border"!

Bud Grant, when asked who was the best player he ever coached
Jesse

« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 05:02:28 PM »

Like what?

Not all of them are feasible, but there are a couple of cool ideas:

- no tv timeouts and less commercials (they want the runtimes down to 2.5 hours)
- outside organizations will handle head safety protocol
- cheap food concessions are planned
- the health care and scholarships they have planned are not really viable, but I think improvements along those lines need to be made
- live streaming
- the general reimagining of a game that is literally killing players and gouging fans. It would be nice if games were more affordable to go to and player health and safety was taken more seriously

My wife is amazing!
theaardvark

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 05:15:20 PM »

As to the quality of the league, not sure it will have that much effect.  It will be a level playing field, if quality of talent drops, it will drop for everyone.  There will still be outstanding players (amongst all the players in the league).  There will still be crappy players that barely make the roster purely based on Nat status or familiarity with the playbook.

There will be the dynasty they Calgary of AC Montreal teams that find/keep good players and coaches, and an ebb/flo of the other teams that rise and fall...  but all teams will have the same restrictions and pool of players. 

We might lose some talent, sure, but with more players out there post college making a career out of football, maybe it actually opens up some opportunities for that tweener that can be a star in an XFL/FFL/AAF situation but can't crack an NFL squad, but would be able to make a little more as a star here.

It is still the NFL we will lose our top talent to, we're not losing any $150k/yr+ players (like a Bighill, Solly, Chungh, Harris) to those leagues, and not to the NFL (at least for long).  So we keep our status as a place for top non-NFL talent, and for the opportunity to play the top level of pro ball other than NFL, and get noticed against other top talent.

blue girl

« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:41:07 PM »

I'm not worried about coaches. I'm more worried about having scouts that can find the best of the players that are left. The only league that I have any real concern about is the AAF because they'll be going after players straight out of college which is what the CFL does.
DM83

« Reply #24 on: December 18, 2018, 09:42:33 AM »

Ricky Williams was a very good running back.
He smoked lots of weed.
Would you hire him other than as a lawn maintenance guy?
Pages: 1 [2]  All
  Print  

Jump to: